PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

SMY: Pats interested in Fred Taylor

Status
Not open for further replies.
A veteran would have been a better choice than Maroney or Addai. The Front Office just couldn't get it done that year (it happens). Maroney has an OK average, but he is not the guy to give the ball to 10 out of 15 times in the fourth quarter, or 25 times a game when we ar playing a team that is vulnerable to the run. Maroney seemed always to be a replacement for Faulk rather than for Dillon, and we didn't need a replacement for Faulk. A team need a between the tackles runner. A team needs a third down runner who is a good blocker and receiver. A flashy #2 runner is a luxury or can be part of a running back by committee system.

Maroney's only failure so far is the inability to stay on the field. He has a solid career average of 4.3 (better than Addai btw) which isn't great but is far from a failure. He's a little boom or bust as a RB for my liking, some great games, some bad ones but he's not close to a failure - we just need the guy to stay on the field this year.

Maroney has been ok but has by no means been stellar, even apart from injury issues. We've had better production form our other 1st round picks in the Belichick era.
He's not been a great first round pick. But failure is too strong. He's been better than Watson and, IMO, better than Meriweather WHEN HE'S PLAYED. That's his big failure, staying healthy, but it's tough to blame a guy for that. He's been a bottom half #1 pick for us for sure but his "failings" have been overplayed.

Maroney has an OK average, but he is not the guy to give the ball to 10 out of 15 times in the fourth quarter, or 25 times a game when we are playing a team that is vulnerable to the run.
He was in the AFCCG against SD in 2007. Maroney can still be a top half starting RB IMO, he just need to get and stay healthy.

Since we're arguing about Maroney and/or Watson here--seriously, how many other teams in the NFL would like to say that one of those two was their worst first-round draft pick this decade?

Last edited:
i will be satisfied if he will join us; no doubt

Since we're arguing about Maroney and/or Watson here--seriously, how many other teams in the NFL would like to say that one of those two was their worst first-round draft pick this decade?
That's basically the point that even if Maroney is Belichick's worst first round pick, that doesn't make him a failure. It's a seriously impressive group. That said, I think Watson is more of a failure and I have been more impressed by Maroney than by Meriweather when Maroney is healthy.

My bad, Klemm was a 2nd rounder in 2000. Woody was a fine choice in 1999. LoMo was the worst first round choice since another RB choice who was injured in 1998.

My primary point is that the patriots have gotten great value in the first round for a decade, except for Maroney (some would add Watson, but I would disagree; tight ends are hard to find). The reason for the great value is that the patriots understand their value board well. Non-topten running backs and wide receivers are very risky first round choices.

I would add that the same is true for corners, but I suspect that this position is somewhat controversial. It seems to me (and to the patriots) that the way to get corners is in the top ten, the 2nd-4th rounds and in free agency JAG's.

Klemm wasn't a first round pick.

My bad, Klemm was a 2nd rounder in 2000. Woody was a fine choice in 1999. LoMo was the worst first round choice since another RB choice who was injured in 1998.

My primary point is that the patriots have gotten great value in the first round for a decade, except for Maroney (some would add Watson, but I would disagree; tight ends are hard to find). The reason for the great value is that the patriots understand their value board well. Non-topten running backs and wide receivers are very risky first round choices.

I would add that the same is true for corners, but I suspect that this position is somewhat controversial. It seems to me (and to the patriots) that the way to get corners is in the top ten, the 2nd-4th rounds and in free agency JAG's.

It's part of the reason I was so surprised they drafted a running back in the first that year. Running backs are a dime a dozen, it's the most easily replaceable position in the league. I'm guessing the Patriots didn't like too many other guys in that range the year they went with Maroney. I actually like Maroney and think he can still be a solid contributor for the Patriots if he can stay healthy, but I would have preferred a player at a more valuable position. That said, I don't think it was an awful choice, although I'd say it was worse than that '98 pick (Robert Edwards). Edwards was a force his rookie season, he had a bright future that was cut short by a freak accident. You can't call a guy a bust and put that sort of thing on the team. Without that stupid game of beach football, Edwards might still be in the league.

Besides, if you want a REALLY bad pick, you only have to go back one year prior, to the Patriots player I loathe above all others, Chris Canty "Cover Anyone?"

I don't think the choice is between BJGE and Taylior...Taylor is replacing Jordan...GE is the young RB of the future..there will be room for him..and yes RBs always get dinged...so it's better to have more than less. Also of note is that I would think they would bring in 1 or 2 rookies to compete for the future. I think CoachB like GE as well..as he doesn't lose yardage and doesn't dance...

Morris
Maroney
Faulk
Evans

The fifth spot is Taylor or BJGE. The Pats aren't going to carry 6 RBs, and BJGE isn't PS eligible. BJGE was the 5th running back on the roster because Maroney was IRed. With Maroney back, the Pats are already back to the number of RBs that they had last year, even without Jordan. If Taylor is signed, someone has to go, and that someone is probably BJGE.

BTW, an important thing to remember about Fred Taylor is that Santonio Holmes is his cousin. Guy just watched his little cousin win Super Bowl MVP. Plaxico Burress is also the godfather of his son. Think about that: in successive years, he's watched his cousin and his kid's godfather catch Super Bowl-winning passes. I think it'd be an understatement to say that he feels like he needs to go win a SB of his own, and he's gotta realize that that's not going to happen with the Bills.

Last edited:
He's not been a great first round pick. But failure is too strong. He's been better than Watson and, IMO, better than Meriweather WHEN HE'S PLAYED. That's his big failure, staying healthy, but it's tough to blame a guy for that. He's been a bottom half #1 pick for us for sure but his "failings" have been overplayed.

Also don't forget how young he is. I think he is only 24 but give or take a year. So if he does get it there is plenty of time for his prime and plenty of time to spell any notion of bust. And of course with him health is his biggest issue

LoMo was the worst first round choice since another RB choice who was injured in 1998.

Robert Edwards was awesome, I still remember some of his brutal runs against Indy that year. You can't say he was a bad choice because his leg nearly fell off in a stupid sand football game.

If Matt Cassel gets killing by a falling piano after Detroit trades a pick for him does that mean that it was a bad trade? Of course not.

BTW, an important thing to remember about Fred Taylor is that Santonio Holmes is his cousin. Guy just watched his little cousin win Super Bowl MVP. Plaxico Burress is also the godfather of his son. Think about that: in successive years, he's watched his cousin and his kid's godfather catch Super Bowl-winning passes. I think it'd be an understatement to say that he feels like he needs to go win a SB of his own, and he's gotta realize that that's not going to happen with the Bills.

Mike Reiss may be interested in this little nugget. :cool:

Mike Reiss may be interested in this little nugget. :cool:

Check out this quote from the Fat Man's (Peter King's) mailbag, by Taylor:

"I want to play in a Super Bowl so bad, and the Super Bowl's down here in Miami next year. I want to be in that game. Two years ago, Plaxico [Burress], my child's godfather, won the Super Bowl. This year, my little cousin from Belle Glade [Fla.], Santonio Holmes, was the MVP in the biggest game in the world. My taste for that game is getting stronger and stronger. And honestly, I feel fresh. I get inspired by young guys and showing them what I can do. There are a lot of young guys I'm still quicker than. God gave me a lot when he was handing out ability. I still have a lot."

Taylor will come to get that ring!

Yeah, if he's looking for a ring, I can't see Buffalo as a sensible destination.

Just trying to see the new pic

sweet i just crapped my pants im so excited.

i actually woke up this morning thinking "what the pats REALLY need is another injury prone runningback"

Prayer #1 has been answered. now i just need to win the lottery.

OK, Keegs, but don't "running back" and "injury prone" sort of go together like "the jets" and "I laughed until I puked"?

If Matt Cassel gets killing by a falling piano after Detroit trades a pick for him does that mean that it was a bad trade? Of course not.

:eek:

Not cool. :mad:

Bills shouldn't even bother showing up next season. They have absolutely no chance. Actually it's two free wins so nevermind

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye