PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

SMY: Pats interested in Fred Taylor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: pats interested in fred taylor

I was hoping back in '98 that the pats would be able to draft Taylor. My only concern is it seems that Taylor has almost always been injured, so now that hes older its more likely to happen more frequently. But if its running back by committee that would reduce the wear and tear.

Last edited:

I was hoping back in '98 that the pats would be able to draft Taylor. My only concern is it seems that Taylor has almost always been injured, so now that hes older its more likely to happen more frequently. But if its running back by committee that would reduce the wear and tear.

He's played the last two seasons injury free.

Two different players. I love Devin Moore and have openly been plugging him as someone to look at anytime after the late 3rd round, but he would basically be a receiving back, 3rd down option, change of pace back, an all-purpose player, and a potential successor to Kevin Faulk. Taylor in his prime was a true feature back, and was what we all hoped Maroney would become. Durability issues aside, Taylor always produced at a high level when he wasn't hurt, had tremendous big play ability, and an aggressive running style which was very captivating and effective. I'm not sure how to prioritize them and juggle the roster spots, but they both have value.

He's not in his prime anymore. He wouldn't be a feature back here that's why I brought up Moore

Last edited:

I wouldn't count that out. Maybe he wants to go for a championship season with Brady & Maroney coming back

I can recall bringing this up months ago and everybody thought that i was crazy!!!

The Fred Taylor as injury-prone RB has been overdone somewhat, imo. His games played over the last seven seasons have been 16, 16, 14, 11, 15, 15, 13. I'd suggest he has played on as consistent a basis as any RB over that same period.

He's not in his prime anymore. He wouldn't be a feature back here that's why I brought up Moore

I'm not sure that he's really that far past his prime. Nobody could run behind the Jags' OL last year, he was very effective the year before, and he has very little wear-and-tear on his body for a running back his age.

Taylor may be 33, but he has over 200 fewer carries in his career than LaDainian Tomlinson does at 29.

Effectively...Jordan would be replaced by Taylor...a step up I think...if they bring in another RB...it would to compete with Green-Ellis...

I'd like him also as somehow who might be able to reach Maroney how to put his amazing talent to good use, instead of dancing around in the backfield. Taylor was always a very aggressive runner who hit the hole hard. Maroney could learn a lot from being around him.
Bingo, this is a mentor for Maroney and B-Jeepers.

I live a couple hours from Jax and go to their games sometimes just for the hell of it. If this happens, I'm thinking I'll order myself a Taylor jersey to wear at their games. :D

Bingo, this is a mentor for Maroney and B-Jeepers.

Unfortunately, BJGE isn't practice squad eligible based on my count...if we sign Taylor, BJGE wouldn't have any chance of cracking the 53.

Unfortunately, BJGE isn't practice squad eligible based on my count...if we sign Taylor, BJGE wouldn't have any chance of cracking the 53.
Ah, the first BGJE won't make the squad post! :woohoo:

As with Lamont Jordan, giving a RB who has something to prove, the opportunity to have a high YPA, but lower number of carries, thus preserving some wear and tear, while playing against a strong passing attack, can help revitalize a career.

We'll see what Jordan gets in Free Agency but I have a feeling his 4.5 ypa will attract some interest. Fred Taylor could achieve the same here playing for 1 year and going back into free agency in an uncapped year.

Not quite out of the Dillon playbook for the pats, since Taylor has a lot less to prove, but reminiscent of that signing for sure. I'd join the thousands of pats fans who'd say "well done" to this as the first, big, non-Draft move of the post-Pioli era to bring a new player to the team!

The Fred Taylor as injury-prone RB has been overdone somewhat, imo. His games played over the last seven seasons have been 16, 16, 14, 11, 15, 15, 13. I'd suggest he has played on as consistent a basis as any RB over that same period.

Wow. That's extremely durable as far as I am concerned.

I'd be surprised if any pats back played that many games in any given year in the last seven years.

Belichick has always liked to depend on proven veteran running backs. The fact that his draft experiment didn't work all that well doesn't bode well for drafting another running back. We could use another Antowain Smith, or a Dillon, or a Jordan, or a Morris. Thankfully, we already also have another veteran in Faulk who I expect to be among those extended before Training Camp.

Apparently, Belichick is looking around for a veteran to replace Jordan, who is not likely to be back. The reps the new running back will get will obviously depend on the running back, and his role. BGJE could be the #4 RB, and spend many games inactive, since he would have no real role absent injury to another running back.

Based on the lavish praise BB placed on Taylor the last time we played the Jags, I look for this to happen if the price is right. If Lynch's legal situation deteriorates further tho, Buff may make a strong play for him. Taylor would be an excellent fit, IMO, and, all things being equal, the Pats would be a better place to land than Buff.

Ah, the first BGJE won't make the squad post! :woohoo:

I was on the BJGE bandwagon since I saw him in training camp, but I think some folks got too high on him during the season. As soon as Jordan was back, he dropped to 4th on the depth chart, that's excluding Maroney, so the odds are against him with or without signing Taylor. Not saying he couldn't do it, just say he's a longshot. He's not beating out Faulk, Morris or Maroney, wouldn't you agree?

Ideally, they should've kept him inactive more games and he'd be PS eligible this season, but there were just too many injuries.

I was on the BJGE bandwagon since I saw him in training camp, but I think some folks got too high on him during the season. As soon as Jordan was back, he dropped to 4th on the depth chart, that's excluding Maroney, so the odds are against him with or without signing Taylor. Not saying he couldn't do it, just say he's a longshot. He's not beating out Faulk, Morris or Maroney, wouldn't you agree?

Ideally, they should've kept him inactive more games and he'd be PS eligible this season, but there were just too many injuries.
I think he can make the squad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back