PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

SMY: Moss, Burgess, Guyton, and Thomas sent home Wed after late for 8am meeting

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those who asked: I know at least one player was nine minutes late -- arrived at 8:09 for 8:00 meeting...

Also, yes Moss has been getting Wednesdays off from practice, but we still see him in the locker room on Wednesdays, so he is still taking part in meetings, etc.

smy

The Guyton one suprises me a bit. By all accounts he a BB guy. The problem is that his production and playmaking has not been there.

Perhaps the same can be said for Moss too.

Burgess and AD are a seperate issue IMO.

In fairness to Guyton, he's actually playing well this season.

He'll learn about this, it is his second year.

I love the message this sends out personally. Go hard, or go home. The Pats need to get back to basics - do your job, be disciplined. Whether that's in game, in the film room, or on the practise field.

My thoughts on the players being sent home are this

1) Everyone in New England has known about this weather for days leading up to Wednesday morning and I can guarantee that Belichick reminded his players and reiterated that this was coming and to be prepared for it. No way a guy like Belichick misses out on those kind of details and sharing it with the team.

2) With Wednesday being such an important day of the week in regards to preparation it's really too bad that these guys were sent home because of lack of preparation to get to work on time. Like some other posters have mentioned- out of all the players, coaches, staff only 4 people were sent home (still no idea how late they were) including a man that just had a child.

I like the move and I hope it sends a clear message to the locker room. It'll be interesting to see who steps up in this situation and makes sure this type of behavior isn't going to be tolerated moving forward.

For those who asked: I know at least one player was nine minutes late -- arrived at 8:09 for 8:00 meeting...

Also, yes Moss has been getting Wednesdays off from practice, but we still see him in the locker room on Wednesdays, so he is still taking part in meetings, etc.

smy

Thanks for that Shalise.

Were any of the four really late, like, half an hour or more?

BB should not trade or sign any players from perennial loser teams. they are not used to winning and seem to be fine with it

Great idea. Who needs another Corey Dillon?

Ultimately we will only know the impact of this move by late sunday afternoon.

Last edited:
Ouch! Troubling indeed. We really need these players too and we REALLY need to win this next game. I wonder if Bill is going to roll the dice and play without them to try and set the tone for the rest of the season. It seems like the Pats need this type of kick in the pants but I'm afraid it may backfire though. I'm getting a little nervous now.

I'm not all that worried about the outcome. BB knew his team needed a wake up call and this is a good way to do it.

I hope they are all pissed off......maybe they'll take it out on opposing teams QB. For a change!

I'm not all that worried about the outcome. BB knew his team needed a wake up call and this is a good way to do it.

Maybe this will be the "cutting Doug Gabriel" moment for the 2009 Patriots, just as they seemed to improve in 2006 after Gabriel was cut?

I believe the point is most know the possibility of bad weather well prior to the weather arriving. These guys are paid millions for a season lasting a few months. If you are serious about your job, you get to work early.

The problem is if the individuals are not serious about their jobs, and focus and attitude are a concern in the organization, the approach offers parties who don't want to be there a day off when everyone else gets to work.

The question is where do the individuals fall. If motivated but they screwed up, it is a good statement. If unmotivated, it may affect those who are motivated to play as they have to pick up the slack and their replacements may be lesser alternatives. I hope it's not the latter case.

Maybe this will be the "cutting Doug Gabriel" moment for the 2009 Patriots, just as they seemed to improve in 2006 after Gabriel was cut?

Who would be cut? You cant really cut all 4 guys and only cutting 1 or 2 sends a bad message

I'm not sure on that. Will try to find out answer...

smy

Thanks SMY, for the further insights. It's always good to have a writer interact with the readership and answer questions.

Who would be cut? You cant really cut all 4 guys and only cutting 1 or 2 sends a bad message

What I meant is, the act of sending these four players home might have the same effect as cutting Gabriel did.

Last edited:
If the reports regarding the traffic because of bad weather is true and tha'ts the reason why they couldn't get there on time, then this is stupid.

What kind of message are you really sending? That you're unreasonable?

If the reports regarding the traffic because of bad weather is true and tha'ts the reason why they couldn't get there on time, then this is stupid.

Was the rest of the team late ? Looks like 60+ made it just fine.

50 other guys made it on time, Ive lived here my whole life, if I know the weather will be bad I leave early, no excuses. BB doesnt make excuses for anyone for anything. Most of these guys live 20 minutes or less away, its not that hard to plan ahead. Just like on the field you have to adjust when things dont go the way they're supposed to , so you make adjustments, not that hard really.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back