PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

SMY: Moss, Burgess, Guyton, and Thomas sent home Wed after late for 8am meeting

Status
Not open for further replies.
i wish this was all done without public knowledge. i hate tom coughlin kind of scrutiny on the team right now. Its the last thing we need.

Makes me think of "education of a coach", when Halberstam spoke of how Bill did not like the enabling behavior of the Giants Staff towards LT...

The rules are for everyone..

Me too.......

If you have to do it though, I do like that it's 4, and surprisingly that Moss is included. By having Moss included, it shows no favorites. Those other clowns are already disappointing the team with their play. It didn't bat an eye when AD was sat earlier this year. No hiding the fact that Bill sent on of his "respected" players home too. No one gets a pass.

moss hasnt practiced on most wednesdays so iam not sure about his inclusion in this 'list' either.

If Brady can make it their after his wife gives birth, the 4 guys who were late should be able to make it on time.

It's easy for me to say, living where we get no rain nor snow, but there's 53 players + practice squad, rehabbers, coaches, etc, and all but 4 of them, evidently, got there on time.

So . . .

Its harsh and maybe a bit unfair, but SOMETHING needs to be done to wake these guys up and be accountable.

I support BB in this. Good for him. Nice to see he can be Parcellian every now and then.

Last edited:
It's easy for me to say, living where we get no rain nor snow, but there's 53 players + practice squad, rehabbers, coaches, etc, and all but 4 of them, evidently, got there on time.

So . . .

Guyton couldn't have afforded a limo, perhaps...the rest could afford to have a fleet of them on retainer, sadly.

Most of the rest of the team and staff were probably in the weight or film room before 7AM. Including the interns and gophers who can barely afford a car.

It's a nasty day here today, less so on the South Shore though and it's not like the blizzard of '78. It's a rain and sleet event they'd been forcasting to effect the Wednesday AM commute since Monday. Plenty of time to adjust your commute if your motivated to get to work. Good thing these guys don't work in Minnesota or Wisconcin today since they're experiencing blizzard conditions...

The team is playing undisciplined ball, so imposing greater discipline is sensible. What matters is execution, not the credibility of the excuse.

If Brady can make it their after his wife gives birth, the 4 guys who were late should be able to make it on time.

Absolutely. It shows the passion and dedication Brady has for this team. Even his comments in his interview backed that up, "As a captain and leader of this team, the last thing they need from me is to not be focused on the job at hand," he said.

The people that say Moss doesnt practice Wednesday, lately he has been practicing on Wednesdays, for the majority of the time the times that he hasnt practiced on Wednesdays has come off of a win. What kind of message does it send if coming off of 2 straight losses a player like Moss doesnt practice on a Wednesday?

The weather did suck today (it's finally tapering off here in CT), but it's not like it wasn't forecast for several days now. As others have said, 49 guys made it, including the new father, so there you have it.

It's too bad to see it coming to things like this, but apparently it's time to patch the holes in the boat.

I don't like the sound of this, but I'll wait to see how things play out this week before I start worrying.

Here's what it boils down to....

excuses / accountability

....and they will no longer be tolerated, even by star players. Personally I like the move. This is the NFL and there are fine lines between good teams and great teams and being able to make a play. This team needs the absolute best effort from everybody, players and coaches.

There are no excuses anymore. Come to play or don't play.

I like the move.

Agreed. This is a positive move by BB. He needs to get these guys to shape up fast. It's interesting how quickly the culture of the team has gone south now that Vrabel, Bruschi and Rodney are gone.

Agreed. This is a positive move by BB. He needs to get these guys to shape up fast. It's interesting how quickly the culture of the team has gone south now that Vrabel, Bruschi and Rodney are gone.

I have this feeling there's even more to it than just the departure of all those veterans; it's that the players who should be stepping up and taking leadership positions (e.g., AD) haven't been.

And when that happens, problems result.

Last edited:
Good point by previous posters about no one (Moss) being exempt from the rules.

This wouldn't worry me at all, except that we will not get to the playoffs if Moss is riding the bench or inactive. The other guys? Let 'em sit, they're not doing jack anyway.

I have this feeling there's even more to it than just the departure of all those veterans; it's that the players who should be stepping up and taking leadership positions (e.g., AD) haven't been.

And when that happens, problems result.

The Guyton one suprises me a bit. By all accounts he a BB guy. The problem is that his production and playmaking has not been there.

Perhaps the same can be said for Moss too.

Burgess and AD are a seperate issue IMO.

i dont have a problem with the decision but i wish they story didnt come out. We remember how the tom coughlin story of missing meetings became big.

It's possible that any of the players actually had issues getting to Gillette today, we dont know what actually happened.

With that being said is it a coincidence that its Burgess, Thomas and Moss, guys that have had attitude problems in the past? I wonder if there will be consequences that extend longer than just today, possibly sitting out for a quarter or even a half on Sunday.

Last edited:
Bruschi and Harrison did not retire of their own accord. Harrison spoke about it. I can't remember the exact quote, but he said something about getting put out to pasture before he wanted to, but had to accept it.

Yes, they did. And no, he did not. Injuries and the inability to bounce back from them cut each of their career's a little short of what they might have hoped, for sure. In the end Rodney knew he didn't want the grind anymore and I think Tedy being honest with himself knew that he couldn't contribute on the field the way he wanted to at minimum. Belichick would have kept Bruschi around in Seau's role and re-signed Rodney as a slightly more than veteran minimum FA had he shown any inclination he still wanted to play. As he said in his conference call, he decided over the course of the offseason he just didn't want it enough anymore and he was at peace with that reality.

Harrison said that a few months ago his recovery was to the point that he considered playing again. Four or five teams expressed an interest, he said, but he realized he didn't have the same desire.

"I started realizing that there's a point in time where you need to walk away and football was no longer the priority," he said. "Golf was the priority and my family was the priority. I used to wake up and want to work out and I was hungry and always wanted to prove to everyone that I could come back, but I really didn't have that fire anymore. It was definitely time for me to pursue other interests and it was time for me to move forward."

"I respect people in National Football League enough not to put them on this joyride, the back and forth, the ups and downs of am 'I coming back' and 'Will I not come back?'" he said. "I am done and I am always going to be a fan of football."

Rodney Harrison of New England Patriots announces retirement - ESPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey