PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

SMY chat -- Brady problems, Spikes shines

Status
Not open for further replies.
This again was not Shalise's finest hour.

Brady took on the assistant reps role late last season, not this season. Not all teams have an assistant rep. I think this one found itself in need of one given it's rep was in the dog house and had played himself out of a starting role. - but that's apparently something she remains in denial over...

Her explanation of the Brady contract situation is simply totally incorrect. Brady doing a restructure to accommodate Moss' deal in 2007 actually increased his 2009 salary. And since it's salary plus non amortized bonus plus amortized signing bonus that forms the basis for the calculation of the 30% rule, what Brady is making this season is not an impediment to constructing his next contract. Then she pulls out of nowhere the allegation that Kraft would be unable to spread out bonus money he would be forced to pay up front... It's half assed statements like that from mediots who are being paid to report on a subject that really annoys me. Just say I don't know... Bonus has always been paid up front, it can still be paid incrementally over time as long as it is guaranteed up front, and it is still amortized the same way it always was - within the limits of the current CBA which restricts amortization at the moment to 5 years as opposed to the usual 6 year term.

The snag in Brady's contract is due to the team not being comfortable doing it's largest contract with what lies ahead. Same deal in Indy and likely in NO. Coupled with the fact that they realize they don't have to...
That part of the equation is something that for whatever reason, far too many - both fans, and those in the media - are not considering. There seems to be this idea that because players a team intended to retain typically got new contracts prior to the current contract expiring in the past, then the same should automatically occur this year. The thing is this year is vastly different because nobody knows what the cap will be next year - or if there will even be any football played at all next year, for that matter.

I do find it a bit odd that at 12:42 she says "If training camp comes and a deal isn't done, that's not a good sign." and then from 1:09 to 1:15 she's explaining all the reasons (30% rule, new CBA, etc.) that a new deal hasn't happened yet. What's going to happen between now and training camp that will change the circumstances?

=====

Regarding the "I've heard Brady isn't really happy with the team right now" comment, it would be nice if she would clarify. It could be that she has spoken to somebody that she knows for a fact is close to Brady, but asked that their name not be used. It could also be that she is referring to the Silver story, or any of the hundreds of columns speculating Brady was nor happy that were based on Silver's speculation. Or it could be something in between. I know she used to read and occasionally post here; it would be nice if she would clarify that comment either here or at the Globe site.

Wow. This has become the Rorschach test of the Pats' offseason. Everybody's looking at the same blob of indistinct facts, rumours and expectations and drawing their own conclusions.

This story line is just getting tired. While I have no doubt she may have "heard" Brady is unhappy based on the Silver's opinion (the source does not claim Brady is unhappy, just that no progress has been made on a new contract, whatever that may imply given the status of the CBA) and the gaggle citing that story to spin it further, there have been no fact-based offerings to support Brady's personal response to contract status.

Now grab a different fact, his status as player rep, and spin it to a campaign against Kraft and reflective of dissatisfaction with his contract situation. This stuff is becoming positively Oliver Stone-esque.

Hmmm....

SMY @ 12:42 said:
Shalise Manza Young: hey there -- I haven't heard of any progress. The Patriots don't talk about these things, and Brady's camp traditionally stays quiet as well. There are so many things complicating a deal -- but this certainly bears watching in the coming weeks. If training camp comes and a deal isn't done, that's not a good sign

Okay then, so let's take a look at what she said later...

SMY @ 1:18 said:
I've heard Brady isn't really happy with the team right now. Also, I don't think the fact that he was quoted on the NFLPA website about the 18-game season can be overlooked at all -- that was a big deal. First, that a marquee quarterback would be so vocal on a union matter (traditionally franchise QBs don't get involved in the union like that) and second, that Brady opted to talk about the 18-game season -- something which Robert Kraft is very much in favor of. I don't think all is hunky-dory.

So she starts off by acknowledging that Brady's camp, as well as the Patriots, have been traditionally, and are still, quiet about contract matters and basically admits that she doesn't know anything for certain. Then she goes off and states that she's heard that Brady isn't happy with the team right now. From whom did she hear that if she's already stated that both camps are quiet? This entire chat is pretty much what the media gets paid to do. Throw whatever they can against the wall loaded with conjecture and see what sticks. Hopefully they have the vaunted "anonymous source" which, from what I've learned, can be Brady's assistant's dog groomer who has talked shop with the assistant and learned that Brady likes living out in California again. That's a perfect sport's source information machine in the journalism world. It's completely easy to take a statement like that and combine it with the contract situation (the same one which nobody outside of Brady, his agents, and the organization knows for sure about) to formulate a story of Brady and how he possibly wants to play in California.

Such tactics are common place in the journalism world. This tactic is one of many reasons why I have a BA in communications and have yet, to date, used my education and instead have opted to return to school to study business. However, with all of this being said, on the (extremely) off chance that she *is* correct and there is a disconnect between Brady and Kraft which sees the greatest quarterback ever to put on a Patriots uniform leave the team over monetary reasons, I would be absolutely DISGUSTED, as I'm sure many of you would, with the owner of this team.

Last edited:
This may be more a testament to my own insecurities, but...........

Not a fan of her tone in that chat.

She strikes me as a journalist that doesn't respect fans opinion.

"Shalise Manza Young: adam -- wow - a fan willing to say the Pats might miss the playoffs?!? A rare thing indeed!"

May have been tongue in cheek, but when I read it, it put me off a little. She sounded like some of the smug contrarians on this board who feel that because they refuse to look at things from the glass half full perspective, that somehow makes them smarter and more insightful then you.
It's not just that she sees things from a different perspective. I mean, why wouldn't you believe the Pats can make the playoffs this year? They have only missed the postseason twice in Belichick's career, and even then they were still in the running until the end.

So on what logical basis would you conclude this year would be any different, unless you have something against the Pats or their fans? Seriously. We have not had any drop off in talent and this team won the division last year. If anything, we have added talent.

Why all of a sudden is this year any different from the last 8?

SMY and others have bought into the vague, media-hyped sense that the Pats are on the decline (mostly as a result of their loss to the Ravens). But Belichick has proven the doubters wrong countless times (2001, the end of 2002, 03-04, 06 (after a "poor" 05), 07, and 08 (no brady). One rough season isn't going to throw me off the bandwagon.

Great post. Just another reporter who is upset the Pats don't treat her like a princess.

It'd be nice if we could get some well-informed reporters who actually are Pats fans.

I don't think any of us homers want reporters who are openly Patriots fans. All we want are reporters that are fair in their work and don't just throw crap on the wall.

Sharlise has been very fair to the team in the past and has admitted when she was wrong about certain things. so I will give her the benefit of the doubt until I see otherwise. She does post here on occasion and I think she will come here to make a correction if she has made a mistake.

I don't get all excited about contract talk in the off season. There are always some issues that mostly get resolved. I even think the Mankins issue will get resolved with the Patriots but I will never feel the same toward him because of his taking it to the press in an open fashion.

Last edited:
So she starts off by acknowledging that Brady's camp, as well as the Patriots, have been traditionally, and are still, quiet about contract matters and basically admits that she doesn't know anything for certain.

So basically no one will talk to her about actual how actually feel, she simply makes it up. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
So basically no one will talk to her about actual how actually feel, she simply makes it up. :rolleyes:

No, I don't believe she made it up. What I DO believe is that she, like us, have "heard" about the disconnect. I also believe mini-camps and OTA'S are over and training camp is still a month away and her editor got on her about writing something that would grab the attention of readers. Enter this chat.

Last edited:
She hates the team ever since they got rid of her two sources.

And since she joined the Globe and met up with Breer.

Herald and Globe are worth zero in terms of Patriots reporting anymore. ESPN, Chris Price and the PFW guys are where it's at.

No, I don't believe she made it up. What I DO believe is that she, like us, have "heard" about the disconnect. I also believe mini-camps and OTA'S are over and training camp is still a month away and her editor got on her about writing something that would grab the attention of readers. Enter this chat.

Its just figuring out where she "heard" it, K. Everybody makes these claims based on Silvers' own pure speculation, thinking that he has some inside source among the Brady inner circle. Where he MIGHT have had a source at one time (supposedly a Brady sister), he "supposedly" was shut out because of a story he wrote basically comparing Brady having a child out of wedlock with the moral disgrace of a major scandal.

So we are left at this point where supposition has BECOME common knowledge that no longer is even disputed, and everyone can basically say that they KNOW there is a disconnect because the story is all around the league. Pretty scary if you ask me. But we live in a world where the truth can be summarily dismissed, and blatant lies can be looked on as the truth. You just need a media outlet willing to tell your story. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Although Brady's legacy with NEP is forever cemented and there is only one other player with that stature (Manning at Indy), long-term he is better wait and see instead automatically re-up with NEP. Brady going to another team will feel like Farve going to Minn from Greenbay. It will tend to diminish his standing with fans of the first/original team; but may enhance his legacy across NFL and general sports fanbase. I am 50/50 on Brady signing up long term with NEP. If he finds a team to his liking elsewhere (say SF or Minn) with good chance of going to SB, he may find it worth trying; deep down he may be willing to take that risk. The down side is NEP winning a SB without him and his legacy would be somewhat diminished. He has to look at the strength of rest of the team. He should wait and see how the NEP's last two drafts fare, on both sides of the ball. And he should see how Bill's new approach is working, or will people continue to tune out the all controlling coach. If the season continues to funk like last year, he is better off going some where else; especially if another coach may be willing to give him a longer leash and more flexibility. Money wise it will be pretty close, legacy wise total different scenarios.

This story line is just getting tired. While I have no doubt she may have "heard" Brady is unhappy based on the Silver's opinion (the source does not claim Brady is unhappy, just that no progress has been made on a new contract, whatever that may imply given the status of the CBA) and the gaggle citing that story to spin it further, there have been no fact-based offerings to support Brady's personal response to contract status.

Now grab a different fact, his status as player rep, and spin it to a campaign against Kraft and reflective of dissatisfaction with his contract situation. This stuff is becoming positively Oliver Stone-esque.

Let the Hoyer era begin...........

Yawn........ nothing new in this dead season article.

Hmmm....

Okay then, so let's take a look at what she said later...

So she starts off by acknowledging that Brady's camp, as well as the Patriots, have been traditionally, and are still, quiet about contract matters and basically admits that she doesn't know anything for certain. Then she goes off and states that she's heard that Brady isn't happy with the team right now. From whom did she hear that if she's already stated that both camps are quiet? This entire chat is pretty much what the media gets paid to do. Throw whatever they can against the wall loaded with conjecture and see what sticks. Hopefully they have the vaunted "anonymous source" which, from what I've learned, can be Brady's assistant's dog groomer who has talked shop with the assistant and learned that Brady likes living out in California again. That's a perfect sport's source information machine in the journalism world. It's completely easy to take a statement like that and combine it with the contract situation (the same one which nobody outside of Brady, his agents, and the organization knows for sure about) to formulate a story of Brady and how he possibly wants to play in California.

Such tactics are common place in the journalism world. This tactic is one of many reasons why I have a BA in communications and have yet, to date, used my education and instead have opted to return to school to study business. However, with all of this being said, on the (extremely) off chance that she *is* correct and there is a disconnect between Brady and Kraft which sees the greatest quarterback ever to put on a Patriots uniform leave the team over monetary reasons, I would be absolutely DISGUSTED, as I'm sure many of you would, with the owner of this team.

kontra, they have to sell hits. brady's not going anywhere.

Think the team might have some problems with Mr. Bundchen.
Scary what's happened to our "man". :D

Let the Hoyer era begin...........

Yawn........ nothing new in this dead season article.

:ditto:

Brady's "camp" being traditionally QUIET really should beat every last one of these TB12 stories over the head with a sledge hammer.

Any one of us could speculate on the subject with every bit the same accuracy. No way the man should be sitting here in a contract year, knowing what he's meant to this team over the past decade. And he damn well knows how valuable he is. Regardless of the current CBA situation, no way should TFB, a man who's been the flagship of an organization and of the country's best sports league for the better part of a decade, be underpaid. Makes no sense. He's got every right to be "dissatisfied". I think we all pretty much get that.

Having said that, the panic button in this situation is no doubt securely protected by shatterproof glass. But because the name attached to this story is TFB, reporters are being pressed to steer their itchy trigger fingers where they really need not be aimed. The situation is likely well under control. Our guy just needs to finally be paid the way a man elevating an organization to this degree deservedly should.

Think the team might have some problems with Mr. Bundchen.
Scary what's happened to our "man". :D

Yeah, and you probably blame Yoko Ono for breaking up the Beatles...:)

Its just figuring out where she "heard" it, K. Everybody makes these claims based on Silvers' own pure speculation, thinking that he has some inside source among the Brady inner circle. Where he MIGHT have had a source at one time (supposedly a Brady sister), he "supposedly" was shut out because of a story he wrote basically comparing Brady having a child out of wedlock with the moral disgrace of a major scandal.

So we are left at this point where supposition has BECOME common knowledge that no longer is even disputed, and everyone can basically say that they KNOW there is a disconnect because the story is all around the league. Pretty scary if you ask me. But we live in a world where the truth can be summarily dismissed, and blatant lies can be looked on as the truth. You just need a media outlet willing to tell your story. :rolleyes:

What bothers me even more is when someone who is being paid to inform cavalierly mangles simple facts, essentially misinforming an entire readership or audience. Opinions are like *******s, after all, we all have 'em. Personally I think beat reporters should be more circumspect than columnists who are being paid to be opinionated. Shalize is being paid to inform as a beat reporter, and how few of them including herself can apparently be bothered to develop a basic foundation of knowledge about their subject and how it operates on and off the field, is just pathetic - let alone when they exhibit a propensity to spew half baked disinformation as if it is fact. As far as I'm concerned if they can't get the facts right or at least admit they don't know and make it a point to find out, their opinions are worthless...

Reiss set the standard here, largely by doggedly persuing the facts, and while I disagree with his opinion in a number of instances I respect that it is well thought out and informed. What I get from Shalize these days is AD was a prince, Brady's history, Belichick is unhappy with his QB's committment, and Kraft is cheap. Based on that there is nothing else I need to hear from her unless I'm desperate to pass the time and there isn't a brick wall nearby I can bang my head into.

Honestly I haven't read to much from her in the past and will make a note to read more of her stuff to get a better feel how she judges situations.. But it seems like a real slow time of year to focus on this..

BUT I'm confused over this question and answer

Aren't they waiting to get some sense of what a new CBA will be like before signing Brady? Same with the Colts and Manning? So not getting a deal done before camp doesn't really mean anything right? Am I missing something?

** HER RESPONSE **

Wednesday June 23, 2010 1:06 Dan 1:09 Shalise Manza Young: Dan - Brady and Manning's deals really are two completely different things, mostly because of the 30 percent rule. Because Brady renegotiated his deal in 2007 to make room for Randy Moss (he got salary money converted to a lump bonus), his base salary this year is very, very low for a QB of his stature. Manning's salary for this year is over $15 million.

So her stance in the entire chat is Brady is upset (from her contacts in the Brady camp) with the situation.. Using her own answer, it seems like the Pats are unable to give Brady what he deserves.. Yet the Colts can but nothing is said of this??

One last thing about one of her comments.. Brady not retiring as a Pat.. Maybe there is some truth behind that.. But the Pats will not let him go until they see his skills diminish.. And that is something not around the corner..

I follow most of the scribes on Twitter. Truly the best venue for breaking news. Anyway, out of all the local scribes, SMY is the worst. A dollar short and a day late - all the time. Seems to be WAY out of the loop and I wonder if she has any contacts at all besides her scribe friends.

#1 i never heard brady, say he is not happy with he's cantract or cantract talks

#2 kraft knows he will loose a lot more then just a great QB if brady walks in 2011. he will loose the face of he's franchise and a few monday night games as will. i mean who will the pats market in 2011 if brady, and moss is gone ? wes welker, i think wes is a great player but he is far from being the star that brady, is or even moss,

bottom line brady is not going any where.

Not to long ago everyone here was singing SMY's praises as being Reiss-like, well-informed and level-headed. I think this column of hers is yarbles and it makes me think that she is angling for a radio or t.v. gig where she can spew this half-baked tripe and become the female Felger.

Not to long ago everyone here was singing SMY's praises as being Reiss-like, well-informed and level-headed. I think this column of hers is yarbles and it makes me think that she is angling for a radio or t.v. gig where she can spew this half-baked tripe and become the female Felger.

She's selling controversy in the dead part of the offseason to peddle hits for her employer's website and paper. Based on this thread, I'd say it's worked. Journalism 101.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down