PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

"Smoking cigarettes and drinking beer in the lockeroom"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriotic

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Had to laugh at Troy Brown's comments in Sunday's Herald about the state of the Patriots when he joined them. Happily, we've gone from Bluto and Flounder anchoring our defensive line to Seymour and Wilfork.

Thank God Bob Kraft took over Faber . . . er, the Patriots.

Patriotic said:
Had to laugh at Troy Brown's comments in Sunday's Herald about the state of the Patriots when he joined them. Happily, we've gone from Bluto and Flounder anchoring our defensive line to Seymour and Wilfork.

Thank God Bob Kraft took over Faber . . . er, the Patriots.

I had a similar thought when I read that. The thing to keep in mind is, we're talking about Bill Parcells as coach when that was going on!

(Then again, maybe Parcells was the one drinking and smoking... I remember that gut, and how he always had some black gizmo he was always checking on his belt during games that I assumed told him when his shoes were untied.)

Now I guess that was a different era - certainly players were not in year round training and playing the way they were now... but to think that Parcells would let that type of activity take place in his locker room is amazing to me.

I'd guess that wasn't something seen only in New England - and that if Parcells allowed it here it must have been the same thing in NY when he was HC of the Giants... but it's still amazing!

Likewise, I found those comments amusing. Does anyone know who Troy was referring to?

It made me wonder, Are there teams today that are still like this? Probably there are figuratively, but what about the smoking and beer?

shakadave said:
It made me wonder, Are there teams today that are still like this? Probably there are figuratively, but what about the smoking and beer?

Smoking and drinking in the locker room in today's game? I doubt it. Dysfunctional franchises? Definitely. I think Troy's point was back when he was drafted the franchise was still unstable and players really didn't care too much. Certainly there are other franchises still like this in the NFL (Arizona, New Orleans, San Francisco).

Seymour93 said:
Smoking and drinking in the locker room in today's game? I doubt it. Dysfunctional franchises? Definitely. I think Troy's point was back when he was drafted the franchise was still unstable and players really didn't care too much. Certainly there are other franchises still like this in the NFL (Arizona, New Orleans, San Francisco).

Didn't Kevin Millar say some other Red Sox players and him did shots of Jack Daniels before games during the 2004 postseason?

zippo59 said:
Didn't Kevin Millar say some other Red Sox players and him did shots of Jack Daniels before games during the 2004 postseason?

Yup. Right before Millar injected himself with the juice. Dulls the pain from the needle and all.

Last edited:
Coast2CoastPatsFan said:
Does anyone know who Troy was referring to?

that should be very interesting to know - i thought the same question

They used play like they were smoking and drinking before, during and after the game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back