Welcome to PatsFans.com

Small Retailers Being Forced Out By Government Subsidies to Big Chains

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by weswelker#83, Mar 25, 2008.

1. weswelker#83

weswelker#83 Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

http://www.dissidentvoice.org/2008/...ed-out-by-government-subsidies-to-big-chains/

Corporate welfare sponsored by the guys who tell you that the reason why your taxes are high is because the "liberals" give the poor welfare. Give me a freaking break.
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2008
  2. Stokes

Stokes Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

From reading the article it seems like this is happening at the LOCAL level, not federal or state. So the point you are trying to make (at least with this example) is off target, you can't compare welfare benefits and taxes by the federal government to shady dealings by local government! That would be like me saying I hold my alderman responsible for the decision to go to war in Iraq! Am I misreading this? I think its saying this is all at the local level.
  3. weswelker#83

weswelker#83 Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Big chains are everywhere in every state . Do you know a chain today that exists only in Revere (MA) ?
    Go back to that link ,please.
  4. weswelker#83

weswelker#83 Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

"Subsidies do work when applied to research or infrastructure (according to the article). This means that if the government decides to say fund a DARPA project to connect computers together in some sort of network of networks, this subsidy results in a net benefit to the majority of people. Subsidising WalMart, on the other hand, does not benefit the majority of people but rather the Walton family."

5. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +162 / 7 / -13

This is why many of us want to limit the power of government.
  6. weswelker#83

weswelker#83 Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

The thing is like i said :
    "Subsidies do work when applied to research or infrastructure (according to the article). This means that if the government decides to say fund a DARPA project to connect computers together in some sort of network of networks, this subsidy results in a net benefit to the majority of people. Subsidising WalMart, on the other hand, does not benefit the majority of people but rather the Walton family."

In Soviet America, big business taxes government.
  7. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +162 / 7 / -13

I don't disagree with that. Defense spending is one of the few thing specified in the constitution that government is supposed to spend money on. This another reason for getting the government out of the business of dispensing tax favors. This is why I favor a flat tax like the Forbes flat tax less political favors for pols to dispense.

Remember the Kehlo (sp?) decision and the city using eminient domain to take property from owners to give to a developer cause they think they can get more prop taxes?
  8. Stokes

Stokes Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I must be missing something, but isn't the decision to subsidize these big retailers made by local governments not the feds? If that's the case you can't blame the feds for what local pols decide to do. Sorry if I'm off base here, you just have to bear with me sometimes!
  9. weswelker#83

weswelker#83 Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

I 'm gonna quote this guy :

"This new book by the Pulitzer Prize winning author David Cay Johnston details the way that the wealthy of America use lobbyists and curry favors from our politicians in order to gain grants, giveaways, and tax breaks from our government. It's an excellent look at how government shifts resources away from the middle class and poor to the super rich - defined as the top 1% of Americans - and how those people offer little to nothing in return for your tax dollars. Well written and well documented, this book is a must read for those concerned about how government works, or doesn't work, allegedly in the name of those who elect our representatives."
  10. Stokes

Stokes Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

But in this particular example people need to blame their local pols, not the feds, right?