Welcome to PatsFans.com

"Smack Daddy" says: Clean it up

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Fogbuster, Apr 24, 2007.

1. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Are we making progress yet? 'Twould appear:

Hip hop rapster, Russell Simmons, has come out for cleaning up all on-air rap lyrics. In the name of decency and for the sake of removing some of the most offensive racial and sexist slurs, Simmons says these words have got to go!!

==============================

NEW YORK (AP) - Hip-hop mogul Russell Simmons said Monday that the recording and broadcast industries should consistently ban three racial and sexist epithets from all so-called clean versions of rap songs and the airwaves.

Currently such epithets are banned from most clean versions, but record companies sometimes "arbitrarily" decide which offensive words to exclude and there's no uniform standard for deleting such words, Simmons said.

The recommendations drew mixed reaction and come two weeks after some began carping anew about rap lyrics after radio personality Don Imus was fired by CBS Radio and NBC for referring to the players on the Rutgers university women's basketball team as "nappy-headed hos."

Expressing concern about the "growing public outrage" over the use of such words in rap lyrics, Simmons said the words "*****,""ho" and "nigger" should be considered "extreme curse words."

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20070424/D8OMUTM00.html

//
  2. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Lol, good luck with all that!

And if you elevate certain words to the level of super-swear, kids will just use them twice as much.
  3. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

This call is to eliminate these offensive words from the commercial records that go out into the public. When kids hear these words on a record they can buy down at the local store, it automatically gives approval that such language is acceptable. Simmons is now saying such practice needs to change.

I say, "good for him." Bold move.

//
  4. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +543 / 2 / -9

The "Imus Backlash" has started, do you think they will ever be able to stop the Black Comedian from calling me a "white mother f-cker"?
  5. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +741 / 5 / -14

#61 Jersey

Wow, that's weird. I've never heard someone use "five asterisks" as a curse. Is there a new breed of intellegencia arising in the 'hood I'm not aware of? What do the five asterisks denote? Must be pretty nasty ...
  6. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +434 / 5 / -2

Hint: A female dog.
  7. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Whatsamatta, you can't follow a link???

:woohoo:

//
  8. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Russell Simmons is a voice in hip hop that gets an ear from everyone in the industry. What he says is very imortant to the culture and the hip hop community. Three cheers for my man Russell.....
  9. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

I can hardly believe we agree on something -- but I'll take it!!

Here, here ... !!

:singing:

//
  10. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

we've agreed in teh past, and will in the future....come on man?

Its funny though how people think there are 'sides' to this issue. If you are ignorant, and sexist...you have no foundation for a view.

although this might be the end of classic jams like

"Big Pimpin" By Jay-Z
    "B!tch better have my money" by AMG (one of my favs)
    "Hair of the Dog" by Nazareth (now you're messin with a.....SON OF A B!TCH)

shame...
  11. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

I wasn't keeping score, sorry for the oversight. Still glad. :D

As for your tune selections, however .... may have a groove but the premises, re the lyrics/titles you posted, are not for me.

//
  12. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +153 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Wow, it seems like you've flip-flopped a bit since this little ridicule of a post I started a while back(a challange from another poster that there were no examples of hip hop racism, believe it or not). Where were the three cheers then? Russell doesn't excuse them by citing other things being published by today's music business.

Originally Posted by Holy Diver If you think thats offensive.....you are cluesless as to what is being published by today's music industry. The fact is that from rebellious rock-n-roll to today's maistream hip hop there remains a standard of shock and awe...and a mantra of sex sells. If you don't like it, don't buy it. I'm sure none of you ever purchased a Beatles albumI'm sure there are no Elvis fans posting on this boardNone of you fossils have ever listened to Johnny CashIf a snoop dogg lyric is shocking to you, wake up. Bill O saying its okay to blow up the coit tower in SF....real tear jerkerGlen Beck saying Katrina victims are scumbags......cute.Ann Coulter calling John Edwards a fag....inspiring to y'all!Oh wait...you are gunna tell me how these people are 'entertainers'...then WTF is Snoop Dogg?

Reply from PatSB42 Some Katrina victims were scum bags. If he was refering to all Katrina Victims you have a point. If he was talking about criminals then you don't. Did Ann borrow that fag word from the song I just posted? That's a couple year old song and it's ok for Snoop to use it right? I don't agree with either of them using it. If O'Reilly said that, then he is wrong as well. This is Sharpton's quote: "But we cannot afford a precedent established that the airways can commercialize and mainstream sexism and racism."
    He's saying that forgiving Imus gives president for the media to commercialize sexism and racism. I'm not saying that, he is. I'm agreeing with him. I think it pertains to the 24/7 sexism and racism Snoop Dog and other rappers engage in as well.

A transparent double standard
  13. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Not sure if I'm flip flopping for applauding a Hip Hop mogul for trying to make things better. Still being aware of the fact that hate, sex, sexism and all sorts of other kind of speech come from EVERYWHERE including all forms of music, and entertainment.

If Rupert Murdoch were to come out against hate speech on his network, If Bill Gates were to make a statement against MSNBC showing the VaTech shooter, I'd applaud that as well.
  14. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +543 / 2 / -9

They'd never be talking about cleaning the Rap Crap Sh!t up if wasn't for Imus.
    Good Work Imus.

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +153 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

well you applauded him while you called me a fossil and clueless due to my "shock"(your assesment of my take of the lyrics). I'm not shocked. I'm pissed over the hypocracy of Sharpton and Jackson. Selective outrage on their part.
  16. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

I agree with you on that. Sharpton and Jackson need to lobby to get the Duke Lacross coach his job back, and that lawyer disbarred. Its redONKulous that lies prompted the firing of the former coach of the year, and ruining of 3 students lives.

Glad to hear that lyrics don't 'shock' you....and sorry if the fossil line offended you somehow. It was meant for those who were surprised that rap lyrics, at times, contains offensive content.
  17. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +153 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Not a problem;)
  18. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Absolutely so true. Imus was the sacrificial lamb for this one.

I say, let him have a few months of R&R, get tan, healthy, and rested, then let him return on another station. I bet he does.

//
  19. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +543 / 2 / -9

The Imus Thing was one of the biggest phony railroad jobs this country has ever seen, Racist Political Correctness at it's finest, it was also RACISM IN REVERSE, Whitey being trashed while the Minority's say far worse and get a free pass, the old Left Wing Double Standard.

IMUS WAS FIRED BECAUSE HE IS WHITE-----Thats Racism.
  20. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Don't worry. Now that the spotlight has been shined on Imus I think he and others will make it a priority to push for the rap slappers to clean up the airwaves. Some people's consciences are still breathing.

//