PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Slighty OT, For the Brits Amongst Us...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scouse Patriot

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
Sky have signed a new three year deal with the NFL to show games at the 6pm slot and the 9pm slot aswell as providing Total Access coverage. Theres no mention of additional games on the red button (never had it anyways so I'm not going to miss it) and no mention of SNF which channel 5 have secured already. Can't find anything regarding MNF though, hopefully ESPN show it here.

Sky secure NFL rights

Week One:

Season opener - Thursday night 1am: Tennessee @ Pittsburgh

6pm: Minnesota @ Cleveland

9pm: Washington @ New York Giants

Week Two:

6pm: New Orleans @ Philadelphia

9pm: Tampa Bay @ Buffalo

Week Three:

6pm: Tennessee @ New York Jets

9pm: Miami @ San Diego

Week Four:

6pm: Baltimore @ New England

9pm: Dallas @ Denver

Re: Slighty OT, For the Brits Amongst Us..

Finally decided to sign up to ESPN this week for the college football, so any deal for the red button games and/or MNF football to go there would be delightful. Its a certainty imo that they get MNF. I'm quite unhappy about the lack of red button games, it means we get no choice whatsoever unless we pay $239 for Gamepass, which I'm not doing as my connection is so slow.

I always thought that getting into bed with Sky was a BIG mistake.

How many people came to enjoy the NFL because they encountered it on Channel 4? Packaged "Game of the Week" (cut down to maybe 90 minutes, with fewer breaks/time-outs) on a free-to-air channel is the way to go if they want to spread the sport.

Alistair Kirkwood said the deal would be 3 steps forward 2 steps backwards.

So far we have 2 less games on a Sunday and no confirmed MNF. If that goes to ESPN then its another £9 a month for LESS coverage than last year.

Somebody point out the 3 steps forward please.

How many people came to enjoy the NFL because they encountered it on Channel 4? Packaged "Game of the Week" (cut down to maybe 90 minutes, with fewer breaks/time-outs) on a free-to-air channel is the way to go if they want to spread the sport.
Taking off the rose tinted, Sky hae been absolutely brilliant for us fans. I read figures laast week tha the average viewer figures for the season was 30,000. Absolute peanuts, and yet they were still giving us 6pm and 9pm games with a choice of games. You can't argue with that level of content with so few viewers

I'm almost certain ESPN will have MNF. They've assured me twice in the past two weeks that they will have NFL coverage (admittedly NASN did the same in the past, only for it to turn out to be untrue, but I put that down to them being an inexperienced broadcaster needing all the subs they could get).

Curious to see if they are allowed to pick up the red button games.

So far we have 2 less games on a Sunday and no confirmed MNF. If that goes to ESPN then its another £9 a month for LESS coverage than last year.

AGree with you. Csn't understand the lack of red button games. My only guess is that the NFL wnted more cash and Sky never ran ads on those games Chances are NFL want more of us to sign up to gamepass.

Thats why I was pleased C5 done the U-Turn and payed out to show SNF. Their coverage is great, no breaks, no bullsh!t and Mike Carlson is one of the most knowledgable pundits I ever heard. Plus, as you say, terrestrial. When Sky and C5 were both showing sunday and monday night games I always watched the C5 coverage.

Still hopeful that the other shoe hasn't dropped yet - perhaps if/when ESPN announce what rights they have there will be a bunch of ESPN NFL shows to go with their live coverage (Countdown, Matchup Live etc).

Even if that is true I do agree that adding another monthly payment to NFL coverage doesn't fit three steps forward two steps back.

Taking off the rose tinted, Sky hae been absolutely brilliant for us fans. I read figures laast week tha the average viewer figures for the season was 30,000. Absolute peanuts, and yet they were still giving us 6pm and 9pm games with a choice of games. You can't argue with that level of content with so few viewers

Well, that's more or less my point. Only the already committed bother to shell out the extra to watch Sky (most people are paying for the football, so they're not interested in watching the NFL on Sunday evenings when there's a live game on). If you can't get 200,000 people in Britain watching (American) football you're not trying.

Last edited:

For those of us here in the states, I am curious - could you please explain what your options are for watching the NFL (what's free, what the costs are, how many games, etc.?) Also, what is the 'red button', and what has changed (it sounds like you are getting fewer games this year.) It sounds like getting espn there is an expensive option, is that true? Does espn carry more than just MNF there? Do many people watch SNF and MNF games, given that it would be on from 1:30-4:30 am - or do they get replayed at a more convenient time the following day?

Thanks

I couldn't agree more. It's a shame because there has been a noticeable increase in the popularity of Football in recent years.

They would do well to decrease the cost of Game Pass. A 30 something like me with a decent wage, no kids and a Miss Cat to share the bills can afford it but many can't.

Sky's current online deal is interesting. For a trial two month period, they are offering the sports channels (and some others) for £17 per month. The non-offer price of £34 is ridiculous, though. I am trying the sports package for two months, but will cancel if they don't offer a more realistic price after that.

On a side-note, I recommend strongly watching your local team. We've been to watch the Kent Exiles this season (NFL offseason) and it has been great fun. It's great to have Football to care about in the summer months! They got knocked out by Tamworth in the 1st round of the playoffs, so had a 7-4 record overall.

They're in the second tier of UK Football, but are really committed and skilled. A lot of time goes into their schemes, playbook and so on. Anyway, it was great to see loads of younger people there, as well as the usual "Channel 4" suspects. The NFL must not rest on its laurels in getting these kids into Football in a more serious way.

For those of us here in the states, I am curious - could you please explain what your options are for watching the NFL (what's free, what the costs are, how many games, etc.?) Also, what is the 'red button', and what has changed (it sounds like you are getting fewer games this year.) It sounds like getting espn there is an expensive option, is that true? Does espn carry more than just MNF there? Do many people watch SNF and MNF games, given that it would be on from 1:30-4:30 am - or do they get replayed at a more convenient time the following day?

Thanks

Basically, nothing is available on "free to air" TV any longer. Football was originally on TV on Channel 4 (a commercial non-cable channel). They started showing the NFL in the 80s, which is why you will find so many 30 something NFL fans. The sport grew in popularity before eventually disappearing on to satellite.

The current options are satellite/cable/online TV (Sky Sports via various providers) or to buy Game Pass from nfl.com. This allows you to watch ANY regular season game live, as long as your country's provider isn't showing it live. If they are, you can watch it whenever suits (and just have to avoid the score!).

Edit: Lampshade's post below is better. Read that one!

Last edited:

Thanks

It's a bit up in the air at the moment. Last year we had this:

Channel 5 (free channel): Sunday Night and MNF.

Sky (subscription channel): all Thursday games, all Sunday night games, two Sunday 1pm and two 4pm games (2 of which were on the "red button" - which is basically where Sky and other channels show their interactive content, such as extra news stories, bonus features etc). They also re-air the games a few times in condensed format.

Gamepass: online subscription site allowing you to watch any game you want that isn't currently being aired by the above stations.

This year it looks like we'll have:

Channel Five: Sunday night football.
Sky: Thursday games, one sunday 1pm game, and one sunday 4pm game.

At the moment we've lost the red button games, and MNF, but ESPN (subs channel that shows MLB, college football, and lots more, cost about $20 a month on top of your Sky subscription) haven't announced their possible coverage.

Basically, it seems we'll be getting slightly less coverage for slightly more money.

Thanks

For Sunday games at 1pm and 4pm ET last season we had the option to watch an extra game by pressing the red button on your remote control. That feature has inexplicably been removed this season.

SNF and MNF is shown live, last year Sky Sports was only averaging around 20,000 viewers for late games, hence why they've dropped it. So far it has not been announced who will be showing MNF but my guess will be ESPN. Channel 5 (free to air) is showing SNF, last year they had SNF and MNF. But they will be showing a 90 minute highlights package from the previous week on a Saturday morning which will hopefully bring some young viewers to the game.

We can also use NFL Gamepass which costs $240 a year to watch any game live except those being shown on British TV which are blacked out. It also includes 24/7 NFL network and archived games.

I'm seriously annoyed with the deal situation right now. With the NFL coming to the UK for a 3rd consecutive year, I really can't believe they're going to be cutting their investment into a game which is increasingly becoming popular on the University and younger generation scene (i.e. my own).

I'm disappointed that things couldn't have continued like last year/year before when Sky had great coverage supplemented by C5. That was excellent - flicking between C5 and Sky every so often on SNF/MNF, + with Sky showing 4 Sunday games.

Regardless, it looks as though I'm just gonna end up getting Gamepass. I'm not going to pay extra for ESPN which is useless when I go to university, and at least Gamepass is good quality (much better than my old friend streaming).

I'm disappointed. Sunday evening NFL was such a good thing that brought my family together for the close of the weekend. And with less choice - the Pats have a 1/16 chance of being shown every week now - it looks like I'm gonna be back alone on my PC.

Blader.

I am delighted with the news :D

Basically, nothing is available on "free to air" TV any longer. Football was originally on TV on Channel 4 (a commercial non-cable channel). They started showing the NFL in the 80s, which is why you will find so many 30 something NFL fans. The sport grew in popularity before eventually disappearing on to satellite.

The current options are satellite/cable/online TV (Sky Sports via various providers) or to buy Game Pass from nfl.com. This allows you to watch ANY regular season game live, as long as your country's provider isn't showing it live. If they are, you can watch it whenever suits (and just have to avoid the score!).

Edit: Lampshade's post below is better. Read that one!

Hiya, GC!

If it were up to me, I'd drastically reduce the price of the Gamepass -- if you could get it for 69.95 quid a season, you'd have a LOT more subscribers (guess you would probably have more total revenue) and have the MNF and SNF as free-to-air, plus a packaged Game of the Week on Monday evenings free-to-air.

From a commercial point of view, the reason for the NFL to try to expand abroad is not for ticket/merchandise/TV rights sales. At present, they lose more than they get and it will be that way for the foreseeable future. The big reason is their advertisers and sponsors. International brands want an international game. So being seen by half a million is a lot more valuable than being seen by 30,000 -- even if those 30,000 are paying for the privilege.

I hope Mike Carlson gets a job with Sky. It's time for a change of 'analysts' with those two boring knobs they have now. :eek:
I subscribed to ESPN for the Scottish footy last week, so it will be a bonus if the MNF is on that channel. :D

For jmt57, when you asked about what we do about the games that kick off at 1am GMT, I tape the games and watch them the next day. Due to the lack of reporting in mainstream media, you'll not get the score anywhere. Only if you watch SKY Sports News will they constantly mention the scores and show clips. It's brilliant because you can watch it at your leisure and you can fast forward adverts and annoying presenters! If I'm working that day, all the NFL guys know not to mention the scores as we are all in the same boat.

No TV deal for us in the UK for MNF:mad:
Cue Monday at midnight searching the net for streams

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill