PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Slight defense of NTs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weishuhn

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
I was away for the weekend and just watched my Tivo of the Atlanta game. In watching the backup defense(after the first series) I noticed Sullivan having a hard time anchoring against the run. After watching more closely, I saw that every time the Falcons ran inside, they would chop-block the NT, rather obviously, without any penalty flags. With the center engaged on the NT, the backside guard would attempt to cut him thigh or knee high. I counted more than 10 times that this occurred, where the center was still engaged, and no penalties were called. To his credit, Sullivan, and Klecko at the end, kept his feet, but was thrown off balance and forced to cede ground.

I'm posting this because I want to know if this stood out to anyone else. I don't considere myself one of those fans that screams for penalties on every play, so I need to know if I was over-reacting to what I thought I saw.

Weishuhn said:
I was away for the weekend and just watched my Tivo of the Atlanta game. In watching the backup defense(after the first series) I noticed Sullivan having a hard time anchoring against the run. After watching more closely, I saw that every time the Falcons ran inside, they would chop-block the NT, rather obviously, without any penalty flags. With the center engaged on the NT, the backside guard would attempt to cut him thigh or knee high. I counted more than 10 times that this occurred, where the center was still engaged, and no penalties were called. To his credit, Sullivan, and Klecko at the end, kept his feet, but was thrown off balance and forced to cede ground.

I'm posting this because I want to know if this stood out to anyone else. I don't considere myself one of those fans that screams for penalties on every play, so I need to know if I was over-reacting to what I thought I saw.

I saw this also. They seemed to let alot of chippy play go. Probably because it was preseason. The refs will probably tighten things up too over the coming weeks. I still thought Sullivan looked like a bull trying to avoid the matador, though.

Box_o_Rocks mentioned this more than once on his game breakdown.

Thanks for the replies. As I said, I just finished watching the game and hadn't gone through the multi- page breakdown by BOR yet.

That's how Atlanta is, they're a helacious running team. Let's see how things go the next few weeks. The Falcons' blocking is as questionable as the Broncos.

BelichickFan said:
That's how Atlanta is, they're a helacious running team. Let's see how things go the next few weeks. The Falcons' blocking is as questionable as the Broncos.

Alex "My name is dirty chop-block" Gibbs, the creep coach who taught the Denver Broncos how to cheap-shot block, is now working for the Falcons. I'm just glad we didn't lose a lineman, for a season or career, playing these bums.

I still think Bryan Cox would have decked Gibbs if he had half a chance...

BelichickFan said:
The Falcons' blocking is as questionable as the Broncos.

For the same reason, too: Alex Gibbs. Gibbs is infamous for teaching chop blocking, especially at Denver as OL coach (1995-2003) and now at Atlanta.

When they weren't chopping, they were holding.

When they weren't holding, they were blocking in the back.

When they weren't blocking in the back, they were doing takedowns.

When they weren't doing takedowns, they were horse-collaring Cassel.

When they weren't horse-collaring, oh, never mind. You get the point.

Weishuhn said:

I noticed that a few times during the game as well. Pretty f%&ked up if you ask me!

I posted the following statement on the Atlanta Breakdown sticky, so forgive me for repeating myself, but...

If there is a Hell, I hope to see Alex Gibbs already there when I die.

That the league allows such unsafe, cowardly, dirty cheapshots to occur is, as former president Jimmy Carter might say, "a disgrace to the human race."

Instead of inventing more rules to "protect" the QBs and WRs, how about protecting, just a little, the real warriors of the trenches?

Weishuhn said:

I noticed that a few times during the game as well. Pretty f%&ked up if you ask me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back