PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

sleepers at 28

Status
Not open for further replies.
Taylor would play DE, not Wilfork.

I do not think Taylor works at DE, he is strictly a phone booth player. Wilfork works at DE because of his tremendous lateral agility.

My guess is that BB trades down unless Fairley or someone like that falls like Wilfork did. There is not a lot of difference between the DE/OLB types so BB will trade down and take two at 25 and 28? Then trade out of the 33 position (you know that is coming) and then grab a bunch of 2nd round guys. Bruschi is right - the Pats can not have too many rookies but this draft is too good at the Defensive front 7 BB must be sleeping with a smile - and hopefully he will remember - TRENCHES, TRENCHES, TRENCHES. We used to win the battle in the trenches, let's hope this draft gets us back there.

Fairley is an undisciplined, unmotivated one trick pony that can only thrive as a three technique. A pure gap shooter. Has zero read and react ability.

Putting Fairley in the five technique is a huge mistake.

But I agree a big body for the trench and a pass rusher, and not necessarily in that order.

Now Mike Pouncey is being rumored possibly to the Patriots at 17. While it wouldn't be a bad pick neccessarily, it is just too much of a reach, The guard class is fairly deep this year and to take a guard at 17 as opposed to a defensive player is just dumb. Maybe Maurkice Pouncey would be picked at 17 but Mike Pouncey is not nearly as talented.

I have been watching a lot of Baylor film recently and I see Taylor as the best 3-4 NT in this draft. He really holds his ground well and eats up double teams pretty effectively.

He is an effective pocket pushing pass rusher as well.

I have always thought the Jets would take Taylor in the first.

But based on Patriot type player BPA talent available at #28 and the fact that Wilfork looked good at DE and that we have the #33 pick, I am starting to like the idea of taking Taylor at #28.

I'm sticking with my wild-ass hypothesis that, unless Danny/Shanny have fallen head-over-heels in love with one of the QBs, they may reach for Taylor at #10.

In any case, Wilfork at DE is not ideal. He played at DE a lot out of circumstantial necessity - IOW, in many situations, the D-line lost less with Wilfork at DE and G. Warren (or whoever) at NT than the other way around.

I'm sticking with my wild-ass hypothesis that, unless Danny/Shanny have fallen head-over-heels in love with one of the QBs, they may reach for Taylor at #10.

In any case, Wilfork at DE is not ideal. He played at DE a lot out of circumstantial necessity - IOW, in many situations, the D-line lost less with Wilfork at DE and G. Warren (or whoever) at NT than the other way around.

I was wondering about Washington taking him as well if a QB isn't available. They could be a willing trade partner for someone looking to pick up one of the blue-chippers if they can slide back and take Taylor in the second half of the first round.

I get the feeling that this is the year the Patriots will draft two big time pass rushers, most likely in the first round. When they have a need they usually draft two or three players to adress it. They had a need at tight end last year when they picked Gronkowski and Hernandez. The Year before they needed to upgrade their secondary and drafted Butler and Chung. While it remains to be seen whether or not Butler is a complete bust, it was still a good pick at the time. So, history shows when they have a need they usually draft at least a couple of players and pass rush is clearly their biggest need.

Brooks Reed is definately iffy for me for the patriots at 28 because the patriots go for players who are pretty productive in college and while reed was productive he wasn't as productive as some of the other outside linebackers who could be there at 17. They're not going to take him just because of a great combine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back