PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sleeper thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATSNUTme

Paranoid Homer ex-moderator
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Thought it might be good to have a thread where people can post players that they consider "sleepers' in the draft. These would be different from "project picks', in that they would not have to change positions or need a couple of years of seasoning.

So, if you want to post your "sleepers', it could be imformative to the rest of us. Sleepers are ususally players from smaller schools who are not well known and may be under the radar screen of most people.

Here is my first sleeper:

Darrell Adams DE Villanova 6'5 273 smart, good leader, high motor, football is important to him. Needs NFL coaching to reach his potential.

As you might suspect the comments I made came from draft guides that I have read. I have never seen this kid play.

Maybe someone from the Philly area may know more about him and may have seen him play. If so , please comment.

Last edited:
QB: Charlie Whitehurst, Clemson (?)

RB: Carlton Jackson, Army

WR: Chris Denney, Nebraska

OL: Adam Stenavich, Michigan

DE: Carlton Keith, Kansas

DT: Kyle Williams, LSU

LB: Spencer Havner, UCLA (Okay, so he's not exactly a sleeper, but I predict him to be REALLY good)

CB: Antwan Philips, Penn State

S: Anthony Smith, Syracuse

Mathias Kiwanuka

This guy may not be a sleeper, but i think he is underrated. He has the frame to pack on 20 more pounds and be a Julius Peppers like force IMO. I think he may go earlier than most expect.

Brandon Guillory, DE, Louisiana-Monroe. Buillory projects to OLB in the pros, and was a tremendously productive college player and a top pass rusher. He han be overwhelmed by top OTs and lacks top instincts, but this guy fits the athletic mold for our system.

Can the instincts be learned?

Gerald Riggs Jr, RB, Tennessee. Has the potential to be a real workhorse.

This is about real sleepers, right?

shirtsleeve said:
Gerald Riggs Jr, RB, Tennessee. Has the potential to be a real workhorse.

This is about real sleepers, right?

Suppose to be abut "sleepers". Guys who haven't been talked about much and will probably go in the later rounds or UDFA's. Don't have to be from smaller schools. Riggs would be a sleeper, IMO.

Purpose of the thread is to get us familar with some of those names in case their names are call by the Patriots in the later rounds.

Last edited:
Wyomimg WR Jovon Bouknight 6-1 195 4.53 -40, 4.1 - short shuttle.

Reported to be slow (4.8), but ran well at his pro-day. He is one of the smartest WR’s in this draft. He understands situational football and is the type of WR that QB’s fall in love with. He has good size and has very strong hands to make the catch away from his body.

Would be a steal in the 6th round !!

PATSNUTme said:
Thought it might be good to have a thread where people can post players that they consider "sleepers' in the draft. These would be different from "project picks', in that they would not have to change positions or need a couple of years of seasoning.

So, if you want to post your "sleepers', it could be imformative to the rest of us. Sleepers are ususally players from smaller schools who are not well known and may be under the radar screen of most people.

Here is my first sleeper:

Darrell Adams DE Villanova 6'5 273 smart, good leader, high motor, football is important to him. Needs NFL coaching to reach his potential.

As you might suspect the comments I made came from draft guides that I have read. I have never seen this kid play.

Maybe someone from the Philly area may know more about him and may have seen him play. If so , please comment.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.....(sorry, had to do it Nut!):D

PatsChick87 said:
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.....(sorry, had to do it Nut!):D

If we were talking about that kind of sleeper, I'd be ranked as a Super Sleeper.;)

Jay McCareins, CB, Princeton
5'11" 193 4.58
Playmaking corner had a whopping 9 interceptions his senior year, 18 for his career. Good size and athleticism (though the 6.50 cone time I saw can't be right??), excellent character and leadership. Strong ST performer, returns kicks. Justin's little brother.

(Look BOR, I didn't say Rolando Humphrey!)

Last edited:
How about Michael Robinson from Penn St? I know he's not exactly an "unknown", but I think he's an uderrated prospect and would be a great late round pick.

DE/OLB Jenkins of Stanford. Move him inside to the 5 technique and give him a year to learn it.

patchick said:
Jay McCareins, CB, Princeton
5'11" 193 4.58
Playmaking corner had a whopping 9 interceptions his senior year, 18 for his career. Good size and athleticism (though the 6.50 cone time I saw can't be right??), excellent character and leadership. Strong ST performer, returns kicks. Justin's little brother.

(Look BOR, I didn't say Rolando Humphrey!)
Um, who? ;)

CoachK said:
Wyomimg WR Jovon Bouknight 6-1 195 4.53 -40, 4.1 - short shuttle.

Reported to be slow (4.8), but ran well at his pro-day. He is one of the smartest WR’s in this draft. He understands situational football and is the type of WR that QB’s fall in love with. He has good size and has very strong hands to make the catch away from his body.

Would be a steal in the 6th round !!
I like him in the sixth too.

If you want a sleeper, someone who is being discounted or down graded by most draftnik mocks...WR Mike Hass, Oregon. If you don't look at his 40 time (4.6) and instead look at his 3-cone (6.52) and vertical jump (36.5"), and especially his college production in the Pac 10, you have to think he is high on many team's WR boards. I expect someone to take him in the second round and I hope it's NE.

Box_O_Rocks said:
If you want a sleeper, someone who is being discounted or down graded by most draftnik mocks...WR Mike Hass, Oregon. If you don't look at his 40 time (4.6) and instead look at his 3-cone (6.52) and vertical jump (36.5"), and especially his college production in the Pac 10, you have to think he is high on many team's WR boards. I expect someone to take him in the second round and I hope it's NE.

He is not a sleeper, Box. He's on everyone's radar screen. He may or may not go in the 2nd round, but he will be gone by the mid fifth round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes