PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sleeper CB: Michael Griffin?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today, the Tennessean reports that the Titans will move their #1 draft pick, M. Griffin, to cb.

Cedric Griffin is not as athletically gifted as Michael but came on very strong starting for the Vikings at CB last season, despite going through the 2006 draft process as a FS prospect. C. Griffin won NFC defensive player of the week honors late in the season. UTexas began a trend 3 years ago of playing its best DB athlete at the SS position with Huff, so nominal "position" is not an indicator of NFL potential at Texas. M. Griffin's drawback at S is his small size which may lead to durability issues. He reportedly played the '06 season with a severe neck stinger and an injured foot due to collisions. Collision injuries are likely to get worse in the NFL. Griffin put on 5-10 lbs of fake weight during the draft process to please his critics and hide his "flaw" but played at 195 his senior year. His borderline weight would be an asset at CB instead of a durability issue at safety. As a CB his natural talent is #3 in this class behind Revis and Hall. I'm starting to like him better at CB than S; CB would take better advantage of his natural quickness, while S may expose his only weakness. Does anyone agree, or am I crazy here?

Apparently J. Fischer agreed that M. Griffin was the #3 Cb talent available. Griffin was drafted right after Revis and Hall.

Apparently J. Fischer agreed that M. Griffin was the #3 Cb talent available. Griffin was drafted right after Revis and Hall.

Fischer's a moron.

Last edited:
Fischer's a moron.

Jim Schwartz is a BB disciple and Titans defensive coordinator. He would have advised Fischer on Griffin's abilities. Several teams, according to L. Pasquarelli of ESPN, considered Griffin a Cb prospect. I'm sure none of them watched as much tape as you though, genius.:D

Jim Schwartz is a BB disciple and Titans defensive coordinator. He would have advised Fischer on Griffin's abilities. Several teams, according to L. Pasquarelli of ESPN, considered Griffin a Cb prospect. I'm sure none of them watched as much tape as you though, genius.:D
Say what you want but when teams are drafting players to change positions 2/3 through the first round it's not a strong statement on the draft. You may end up being right about this - congratulations if you are - but it's a lousy draft when players shortly after the mid point of round one are being drafted for new positions.

What was your opinion of Meriweather again, genius? :D

Oh, and considering that Texas' DC didn't think Griffin was a corner I'd say people who know a lot more about him than you agree with my opinion...

Last edited:
What was your opinion of Meriweather again, genius? :D

Oh, and considering that Texas' DC didn't think Griffin was a corner I'd say people who know a lot more about him than you agree with my opinion...

Time will tell on all of our predictions and analysis. In Merriweather's case, I hope I'm wrong. The Texas DC said that Griffin was a more natural safety than cb, and Huff a more natural CB than S. However, Huff was drafted #7 overall to play SS for Rob Ryan, and Griffin was drafted #18 to play CB for Jim Schwartz. Both of those DCs are upper echelon in the NFL. So maybe the Texas DC needs to reevaluate his own players, which wouldn't be a surprise.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey