Welcome to PatsFans.com

Slavery

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Harry Boy, Oct 9, 2007.

1. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +537 / 2 / -9

Slavery was mentioned in another thread always a good weapon to bash Americans with:

Was the "Bad Cruel Horrible American South" the only place in the world to have Slaves, how did Bad Horrible America get these slaves, did the Rednecks from Alabama go all the way over to Africa and set traps for them or did somebody round them up and sell them to the Rednecks, if so, WHO :confused:

Did France, England or any other countries own slaves, don't they still have slaves in certain parts of Africa, don't the Mother F-cking Asian Dog Eaters in Thailand still sell little ten year old slave girls for sex, where are the Numan Rights Bastards for those kids who are being sodomized in the Hell On Earth Asian Country's.

Why don't do-gooders ever mention Slavery in England or France why do they always crucify "Billy Bob Jones" from Mississippi, are there any Al Sharptons or Jessie Jackoffs in France waiting and watching for an Imus to come along?
  2. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Slavery is a blemish on American history. Other countries may stil use slavery, it doesn't make it right or lesson our mistake, same can be said of torture.
  3. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +264 / 10 / -26

There were also quite a few slaves brought into the US in the New England States..
  4. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +537 / 2 / -9

Some of them came in not to far from where I live today (Midcoast Area) Maine.
  5. Boston Boxer

Boston Boxer U.S. Air Force Retired PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +43 / 3 / -1

#75 Jersey

a blemish??? slavery enabled the farmers and land owners to get a lot of work done...the slaves should be proud of their accomplishments. If it was so bad, then why did all those slaves slay in the U.S. after they were freed?
  6. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

Wow. I'm completely speechless at that comment. Are you serious or are you kidding? I hope you're being sarcastic. Please reread what you just wrote if you are serious because I don't believe a sane person could actually think that.
  7. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

like it or not, slavery did allow certain land owners to become extremely wealthy back then... and that wealth stayed within those circles for generations, long after slavery was abolished... and likely kick started enterprises that continue to thrive today... tobacco road, anyone?
  8. Boston Boxer

Ratings:
    +43 / 3 / -1

#75 Jersey

RELAX, i was (somewhat) joking because this was a rediculous thread. If you think what i wrote was insane, stick around and read some of the other posts in this forum...all these people that post in the political forum are in some form or another crazy as hell
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2007
  9. Boston Boxer

Ratings:
    +43 / 3 / -1

#75 Jersey

now that is a true statement, without a doubt
  10. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +264 / 10 / -26

I know in RI and assume the same in other NE States, many of the blue blood wealthy families all had a hand in rum running, slave running and other sordid methods of accumulating wealth. It is not unique to the south, if you trace many of the "old" companies there is a not of dirt out there..
  11. PatFanInChina

PatFanInChina Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Wow, nice topic. I love the way people put the blame tag on America about slavery, but what lot of people forget to mention is that when Africa was being colonized and occupied by European forces, the US of A was the only country in the world to defend an African country which is Liberia, . After the colonization of Africa the only two countries that were non colonized were Ethiopia and Liberia. But nobody gives a rats ***** about that. They pretty much think that US started the whole slave trade.
  12. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +184 / 4 / -6

I don't think that's true. Certainly, the US, compared with Spain and Portugal was relatively benign. I think the vast majority of slaves went to Brazil and many others to various Caribbean islands, but I don't think those facts in any way negate our shameful past, where not only were we late in ending slavery (compared with most other countries), it also took a war to do it. Your point of view is sort of like saying, Look, the Nazis were worse. I don't know what that accomplishes.

As far as Liberia goes, give me a break. That country has a mess of history and was exploited by everyone, including the black Americans who settled there. And, Ethiopia was always largely recognized by the major European powers. The US merely followed suit.
  13. PatFanInChina

PatFanInChina Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I am talking about after the Emancipation Proclamation. Read little bit of history like “Slavery from the African Point of View”. When majority of the Western countries decided to invade Africa; US were pretty much the only country to defend Liberia. That’s a 100% FACT.

Ethiopia wasn’t recognized by any countries in Europe! They were fortunate to have great diplomats at the time when Western European countries were colonizing Africa. Please read your history before you’re going to post gibberish like that.
  14. PatFanInChina

PatFanInChina Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Patters where did you get your facts? I would love to know.
  15. Patters

Ratings:
    +184 / 4 / -6

Actually, I recently read a large history of Africa (by John Reader), which is the basis for my understanding of slavery. While Lincoln recognized Liberia, Britain did so first. And as far as Liberia goes, the American blacks formed a nation that distinguished between the lighter skinned American blacks and the indigenous people, who had fewer rights. We in effect recognized American blacks who colonized Liberia.

As far as Ethiopia goes, I think it was recognized by European countries early in the last century, but I don't know when the US declared official recognition. At any rate, Ethiopia's history is complex and generally they managed to fend off the European colonialists, but I don't think the US ever helped them do that.

At any rate, I'm not quite sure what you're getting at. I know the US was not a colonizer of Africa, but if you think that the US treated Africa fairly, you've got to be kidding. Even as late as Reagan, the US was backing some awfully bad people.

But, perhaps you misunderstood what I originally wrote. When I said, "I don't think that's true," I meant that I don't think most people think the US was primarily responsible for the African slave trade.
  16. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 5 / -2

Wikipedia. :D
  17. PatFanInChina

PatFanInChina Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

RW I hope you're being sarcastic.
  18. Patters

Ratings:
    +184 / 4 / -6

Wikipedia is fine, especially for things like Liberian and Ethiopian history. It's weakness occurs with more controversial and current subjects. That said, as I noted in my post, I didn't use Wikipedia at all for my response (but I wouldn't hesitate to do so, provided the Wikipedia article provided sources).
  19. Turd Furguson

Turd Furguson Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

What exactly is the argument here? I think we all agree that slavery then and slavery now is really really bad. Why must we point fingers at who we believe is "worse"?
  20. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +425 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

Long term slavery was good for the slaves and their descendants. That is undeniable. Their descendants, who for some reason think they're entitled to reparations, are now in the U.S. instead of Africa - take your choice.