PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Slater In Place Of a Quarterback For Now

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I have said, I have a problem with Green-Ellis being on the team as a 5th RB. If someone else is #5, then that player shouldn't be on the team. I would be fine if we cut or trade Maroney or Morris because Belichick thought that Green-Ellis is expected to be more productive this year.

But this an big assumption on your part. You assume it was BJGE that was
the 5th back? Maybe it's Maroney and BB is just looking for a way to deal
him. BJGE was more productive than Maroney last year when running
was more difficult without TB around.

These 2 players, Maroney and the Firm, on a much lesser level, can be compared to Barry and Emmitt. One dances and is always looking to break a play. The other much more of a grinder, always gaining positive yardage and far less likely to break a big play. Two different backs that I feel could compliment one another nicely. The committee just has so many members right now, the Firm just isnt likely to really get all that much action.

That's untrue through. It's been statistically disproven. Maroney has an extremely high success rate as a RB, whereas 'big play or bust' RBs like Barry Sanders, Tomlinson, etc. are characterized by low success rates. People that don't like Maroney's style have tried to paint him as something that he isn't, and no matter how much you try to insist that it isn't so, the facts are the facts.

http://footballoutsiders.com/stats/rb2007

Last edited:
That's untrue through. It's been statistically disproven. Maroney has an extremely high success rate as a RB, whereas 'big play or bust' RBs like Barry Sanders, Tomlinson, etc. are characterized by low success rates. People that don't like Maroney's style have tried to paint him as something that he isn't, and no matter how much you try to insist that it isn't so, the facts are the facts.

FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Football analysis and NFL stats for the Moneyball era - Authors of Football Outsiders Almanac 2009

Yeah........lets try and compare LM to LT and Sanders......

LMFAO.........

Just show's ya what some stats REALLY mean........

Maroney is a decent RB, but I don't believe that he will ever be a dominating force like LT or Barry, or Emmit, or Thurman, or Marshall, or............

He can't even play a full season.

Well that settles it. If Belichick smiled at him, he must be in the clear.

As for why he's behind Maroney and Morris, there's a whole thread dedicated to that. He might jump ahead of Morris due to injury, but there's an absolute chasm of talent and production between Maroney and BJGE. I'm sure you'll disagree, since you base your decisions on who you think Belichick smiles at the most, but it is what it is.

Nice side step. The point since you are having difficulty comprehending.
BB has been trying to get Maroney to run the way BJGE runs , without
hesitation. His smile was a confirmation or a way of saying
"that's what I want to see in a running back." BTW, that's what I
want to see also. It's percentages. Sometimes the hole will
close but odds are there because that's where the blocking is.
Maybe no yards gain but good odds won't loose yards. Maroney just seems
unwilling to commit to that type of running.

Nice side step. The point since you are having difficulty comprehending.
BB has been trying to get Maroney to run the way BJGE runs , without
hesitation. His smile was a confirmation or a way of saying
"that's what I want to see in a running back." BTW, that's what I
want to see also. It's percentages. Sometimes the hole will
close but odds are there because that's where the blocking is.
Maybe no yards gain but good odds won't loose yards. Maroney just seems
unwilling to commit to that type of running.

So now you're basing your conclusions on assumptions about the precise meaning of that smile (which you're somehow certain is *wider* than any smile that he's ever smiled at Maroney). ...right.

BTW, as far as 'playing the percentages' goes, Maroney is one of the most effective RBs in the NFL. There are a few arguments that you can use against him, but that's definitely not one of them. 58% of his runs are successful. That's a very, very high percentage.

Last edited:
Let's be clear. I would have absolutely no problem with Green-Ellis being on the roster with either Morris or Maroney cut. The, green-Ellis would ahve a role. Competition I understand. I would understand Green-Ellis being better and more valuable than Maroney or Morris, and him beating one of them out for a roster spot. Belichick did not make that choice. He kept Green-Ellis for some role that I do not understand. If it is for special teams, I'd rather have Spann.

Why keep five RB's? I'm thinking it might have something to do with the fact that Morris, Taylor, and Maroney all have had durability issues throughout their respective careers and Morris and Taylor, at 32-33 years of age, are both considered old at their positions.

And now that I think about it, Faulk's up there in the years department as well. Throw in the fact that Morris is already dinged up and keeping BJGE becomes the logical course of action. The odds are that we will need him at some point this season.

So now you're basing your conclusions on assumptions about exactly what that smile that you think you saw means. ...right.

BTW, as far as 'playing the percentages' goes, Maroney is one of the most effective RBs in the NFL. There are a few arguments that you can use against him, but that's definitely not one of them. 58% of his runs are successful. That's a very, very high percentage.

Stats can be very misleading. Looking at last year without TB,
3.3yd/carry was a trend that could have destroyed his stats if he was able to play more than 3 games. Morris before injury was better than Maroney.
There is a lot LOT more to the success of a RB than just the RB's talent.
Of course you know that. :rolleyes:

I like the way BJGE runs and I am glad he is on the team. But I think he will hardly ever make the 45 unless someone is hurt. He's good insurance for us, but barring injuries he will sit and wait.

Why keep five RB's? I'm thinking it might have something to do with the fact that Morris, Taylor, and Maroney all have had durability issues throughout their respective careers and Morris and Taylor, at 32-33 years of age, are both considered old at their positions.

And now that I think about it, Faulk's up there in the years department as well. Throw in the fact that Morris is already dinged up and keeping BJGE becomes the logical course of action. The odds are that we will need him at some point this season.

BB has a binkie for hard working team players. That is why Faulk is still with the team despite some really inconsistent early years. Morris and Taylor are not the future, Maroney likely will make more money elsewhere. BJGE seems like a reasonably good guy to keep around.

I like the way BJGE runs and I am glad he is on the team. But I think he will hardly ever make the 45 unless someone is hurt. He's good insurance for us, but barring injuries he will sit and wait.

I agree, and most likely correct........although I think if he gets more work, he will be a pretty effective player.....I think that won't be a problem, because the rest of our crew can't stay healthy.

I really wanna cheer for BJGE, but that means that the guys in front of him have to get hurt....... which sux cuz I don't want that

I think it really depends on Maroney. If he keeps dancing, I would not be
surprised to see BB give BJGE the ball. BJGE had experience last year,
a great offseason and did well with preseason opportunities. I believe BB
feels he is ready to take to the next level.

FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Football analysis and NFL stats for the Moneyball era - Authors of Football Outsiders Almanac 2009

I think everybody is trying to paint Maroney as something he isn't and maybe we should just let him get his yards and do his job.

I have nothing against Maroney, and am glad he's on the team, but I find it extremely irritating, not to mention dishonest, that you continually push this stat from the 2007 season as if it's Maroney's career number. It isn't. 2007 was his best year, statistically, as it was for several other members of the Patriots offense. You may remember that their entire offense was pretty good that year.

I have nothing against Maroney, and am glad he's on the team, but I find it extremely irritating, not to mention dishonest, that you continually push this stat from the 2007 season as if it's Maroney's career number. It isn't. 2007 was his best year, statistically, as it was for several other members of the Patriots offense. You may remember that their entire offense was pretty good that year.

If you'd prefer, I could instead push his career success rate (52%), which is also very good. Either way, the argument that he's a boom-or-bust back is thoroughly invalidated.

I'll freely acknowledge that the stat is skewed upwards because of the offense he was playing in. I definitely don't think that he's the most consistent RB in the NFL. But for what most of the people on this forum are saying, the offense must have taken a notably low-success RB and somehow lifted him to the top rate in the entire league over the course of a full season. Doesn't get much more dishonest and ridiculous than that premise.

Yeah, a lot of guys led the league on a lot of things that season. And if anyone said that they were bad at the things that they led the league in, they would get laughed out of here, because the argument would be so self-evidently absurd. Yet with Maroney, the (similarly incorrect) perception lingers, for whatever reason.

Last edited:
Belichick did not make that choice. He kept Green-Ellis for some role that I do not understand.

Hmm.. maybe a consistent long-term solution at RB?

I mean, seriously, how long are Morris and Taylor going to play?

On top of which, you saw in game one how Taylor blew a couple blocks and Brady took him aside on the bench to go over those plays.

Understood that he's still learning the Patriots system, but my point is, do you want to see this happen every year when we take on more old RB that has one or two season left in them, and have to learn the Patriots system right off the bat?

Don't you think we should have at least 1 RB that's pretty knowledgeable with the patriots system that could advise incoming RB's..

As much as we'd like to deny it, Faulk is entering the twilight of his career.

As much as we'd like to deny it, Faulk is entering the twilight of his career.

I firmly believe that BJGE is penciled in as Faulk's understudy and future replacement.

Yeah, a lot of guys led the league on a lot of things that season. And if anyone said that they were bad at the things that they led the league in, they would get laughed out of here, because the argument would be so self-evidently absurd. Yet with Maroney, the (similarly incorrect) perception lingers, for whatever reason.

I absolutely agree that those who would demonize Maroney make arguments that don't hold water (just like those that would canonize him). He is neither the worst nor the best runner in the league by a long shot. Personally, I'd be grateful to have him for his kick-returning alone and I hope we see more evidence of the improvement in the passing game that BB has mentioned, since I believe open field running is where he truly excels.

But I wouldn't get carried away with that success rate stat. You may notice that the league leader in 2007, whom Maroney was second to, was Kenton Keith from the Colts (which should tell you something about how a QB and passing game might impact this stat). And I'm not sure Keith is even in the league anymore.

Last edited:
Yeah........lets try and compare LM to LT and Sanders......

LMFAO.........

Just show's ya what some stats REALLY mean........

Maroney is a decent RB, but I don't believe that he will ever be a dominating force like LT or Barry, or Emmit, or Thurman, or Marshall, or............

He can't even play a full season.

Do you read posts before you respond to them? I was very explicitly pointing out how *unlike* LT and Sanders Maroney is. He's a completely different type of runner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back