PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Slater/ Important Role in the Offense?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice_Ice_Brady

I heard 10,000 whispering and nobody listening
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
This deserves its own thread because of the overall implications of this game and possibly the Patriots' strategy.

6:59 1st NE 2nd & 2 at NE30 > Tom Brady pass to the middle to Matthew Slater for 46 yards to the Mia24. Tackled by Vontae Davis.

Another important play, because Slater had beaten the coverage although the timing between him and Brady was a little off (perhaps should have been a catch):

9:49 4th NE 1st & 10 at NE40 Tom Brady incomplete pass to the left intended for Matthew Slater.

Slater may be the Patriots deep field stretcher in the mold of Bethel Johnson or Dante Stallworth. It is obvious the Patriots have tried to carry this type of player and failed with Joey Galloway and Brandon Tate.

This would certainly explain why Tate's stock fell dramatically. In addition the lack of kickoff returns under the new rules, it seems that Slater is a better option to burn through the secondary and keep defenses honest when needed. Slater also caught a long pass from Brady in the preseason.

In addition to being a special teams ace, if Slater can perform what Tate and others could not- being a situational player who can be used when defenses try to play for the short pass, this would be a huge bonus for the Pats.

Am I jumping to conclusions too quickly, or is anyone else impressed with the few times Slater has been used as a WR?

Dare I say it, that he has the ability to stretch the field? =)

Last edited:
Slater is a hard worker and has been growing into (creating) a role for himself as a receiver. Having that role in addition to being a ST ace & BB's comment about him "improving every year" may give him a long career with the team.

Couldn't happen to a better guy.

I have been pulling for Slater this season. He is a new binky for me. Good kid.

I have been pulling for Slater this season. He is a new binky for me. Good kid.
+1

Troy Brown was always my favorite player. I see Slater as the same kind of scrapy player. I'm sure SD will be on Alert if Slater sneaks into the lineup on Sunday.

Slater's is playing better and doing more than Ocho Stinko.

How little focus do you have to have to line up on the LOS when I TE is on the LOS inside you? Probably the twit was thinking what his next tweet will be.

Slater's is playing better and doing more than Ocho Stinko.

How little focus do you have to have to line up on the LOS when I TE is on the LOS inside you? Probably the twit was thinking what his next tweet will be.

How much time has Slater had to learn the offense, what about Ocho?

I love Slater... but he was in THREE offensive snaps.

That doesn't signal a major role change to me.

Slater has a place as a receiver on the patriots. 1-2 catches a game is more than Edelman last year and about the same as Tate. I would say that Slater is ahead of Edelman, unless there is an injury to Welker.

Ochocinco is also a fine addition.

We have Ochocinco and Price competing for reps. Belichick could have simply counted on Price. He did better. He had made a solid addition, who may only be valuable if there is an injury. My guess is that, before the season is done, Ochocinco will ahve an important game or two.

Talk of Slater being cut is as old as his tenure. Obviously we have to see that he's sticking for some time : (1) plays tonnes of ST (2) was chosen captain (3) is seeing the field (even though it is limited) on offense (4) IIRC, he's also a DB and therefore adds the popular versatility (5) has bloodlines (6) hard worker/gets it.

BB will cut anyone who he feels can't help the team. But I see Slater helping the team for the forseeable future. I do not see him being a major factor on offense, but it looks like he'll be getting more chances than I thought he would.

BB's testing the waters. If Slater starts catching more of those bombs, we'll see how his role changes then.

Love the Slater story and his play on STs. 3 offensive plays with mixed results. Was great to see him haul in a long one, but he caught the ball with his chest/. Wide open down the sideline Brady put the ball out there nicely but Salter looked like an ant under a magnifying glass trying to run under it. I have seen this before; he does not track the ball well and does not catch the ball with his hands. I think Price has a better chance of making an impact as a receiver.

Dude was on the field for three offensive plays, I wouldn't get too excited just yet.

I think going from none week after week after week to three is a role change. At least he is being given a shot. But the thing isn't that his role might be changing, it's that his role, small as it is, has produced more than Ochocinco.

Before the game, if I said that Slater would out perform 85, you would have laughed at me. But he did. I think he will outperform Ochostinko again next week.

The real tragedy is Ochocinco. I can understand having a hard time learning the plays, but how long does it take? Woodhead was catching passes two weeks after being signed, Moss did not play in a pre-season game. Ochocinco ws traded almost EIGHT weeks ago.

Time to stop making excuses for the guy. At this stage he is nothing more than Donald Hayes with a bigger signing bonus. Excpet that Donald Hayes was better.

I had high hopes for the guy. I still do, but the warning signs are there.

Stop clownng around until you learn the play book, and until you learn not ot line up on the LOS outside of another receiver. That would piss off a high school coach.

Last edited:
I wonder if he will even see the field when Price comes back.

Dude was on the field for three offensive plays, I wouldn't get too excited just yet.

I don't care how many plays.....He's a serious threat to the deep safety......whenever tfb sees the safety pinned to the ctr deep.....watch out for the underneath slant.Slater is so fast...that just having him on film,is going to affect def co-ords. thinking.:rocker:

Slater is improving and that is good news.

On the other hand, I am wondering about all of the
negativity surrounding 8-5....

Based on his ST play, it's obvious that Slater can block and that he can run fast. Therefore, he's a natural guy to play in sub packages that feature lots of TEs at midfield.

If he is effective in that role for more than a game here or there, one can consider other roles for him, but first things first.

He got turned around on a pass he might have caught, so he has some work to do, but I'm guessing he's been working plenty and that's not a problem. After all, he was listed as a safety not long ago.

I would say that Slater is ahead of Edelman, unless there is an injury to Welker.

So that would explain why Edelman had twice as many snaps as Slater on Monday night then I guess, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes