PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Size vs. durability/injury risk

luuked

Hall of Fame Poster
Reaction score
I was reading through some of the reactions to the Collins trade and how Roberts might be the heir apparent and stumbled over a few posts that were talking about his body size being not ideal:

e.g.

Elandon Roberts - 5'11" - 235

Zach Thomas - 5'11" - 242 (Zach Thomas: Career Stats at NFL.com)

Derrick Brooks - 6'0" - 235 (Derrick Brooks)

D'Qwell Jackson - 6'0" - 242 (D'Qwell Jackson)

A small sampling, for sure. And asking Roberts to be a Derrick Brooks is a bit of a reach. That said, high-motor linebackers can be at or just under 6' and perform well for many years.

This got me thinking.. why exactly is height such an indicator or important measurable to the point were just a few inches make someone "more likely" to get injured ? I would assume that body built and muscle mass would play a bigger role than e.g. height ?

I thought that a sub-board obsessed with measurable would give me better insight into all of those archetype bodies for different positions than the insane that are running the asylum over there in the main board.

Roberts is much closer to 54 than Collins. So I don't understand anyone thinking hes replacing 91. Athleticism and talent are attributes you'd used to describe him. Kinda the anti-Collins in that respect.

Roberts is a kid with great instincts, technique and work ethic. Hes a fiery guy who will step up when needed whether it's a play or on the side line. Has a real nose for the ball. Could be a great leader.

Now addressing the injury risk/size durability question there are definitely things I look for and factor in. Without getting too specific rn, but yes height, weight, body type all play a factor. Someone's build can tell you a lot.

Roberts is much closer to 54 than Collins. So I don't understand anyone thinking hes replacing 91. Athleticism and talent are attributes you'd used to describe him. Kinda the anti-Collins in that respect.

Roberts is a kid with great instincts, technique and work ethic. Hes a fiery guy who will step up when needed whether it's a play or on the side line. Has a real nose for the ball. Could be a great leader.

Now addressing the injury risk/size durability question there are definitely things I look for and factor in. Without getting too specific rn, but yes height, weight, body type all play a factor. Someone's build can tell you a lot.

Roberts creates a lot of collisions. Hard to see him lasting a full nfl season.

What is the archetypical height/weight combo for what Roberts is playing in your opinion ?

Roberts creates a lot of collisions. Hard to see him lasting a full nfl season.

Yeah, but why would this change if he'd be 4 inches taller (or whatever that golden cutoff for height as LB is) ? I just dont fully understand why a few inches would make such a huge difference, especially when it comes to absorbing punishment.

I'd say in todays game Willis, Kuechley and Bowman are pretty close to perfect.

6'1-6'3 / 245-250 give or take.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back