PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Situational Head Scratchers: Poor Clock Management

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was bad situational football. There's really no other way to put it. The only way that it's defensible is if you imagine that, since the Patriots had time outs, their plan was to score as fast as they could to get the ball back after stopping the Colts 3 and out. Given our defense, that would have been stupid strategy. But at least it would have been a strategy.

The answer to the question whether they needed to run a play is definitely no. There was an 8 second difference between the play clock and the 2:00 warning. I posted about it live in the gameday thread.

The only rational basis for running the play on the plus side of the 2:00 warning, other than the one above, is if they liked the defensive grouping on the field and didn't want to give the Colts a free time out to sub. But barring that, it was terrible clock management.

It never ceases to amaze me how bad teams are at clock management. They just don't understand the nuances. Perhaps the saving grace yesterday was that the Colts screwed it up even worse when they got the ball back.

But perhaps the worst clock decision of the day yesterday had to be the Steelers. Ravens had just run a play on second down and the clock was winding down to 2:00. Tomlin called a time out -- his last -- at 2:04. The announcers were actually praising the call -- get the time out in before the 2:00 warning. It is an absolutely idiotic call. If there is 2:10 or more left, perhaps, but even then it's stupid.

Why? Well you get virtually nothing out of it. If you let the clock tick down to the 2:00 warning, instead of stopping it at 2:04, you can just use your last time out after the Ravens run their next play. The only difference in that circumstance is that you have about 1:55 instead of 2:00 on the clock. Either way if they get the first down, the game is over.

So, what is the downside of what Tomlin did? Well, here's the big one -- you give the Ravens a free chance to throw a pass. There is no downside now to a pass play on third down, because the clock is going to stop either way. If, instead, you let the clock run to 2:00 and keep your time out, then you virtually force the Ravens to run, so they make you use that last time out. And, if they do pass, and it's incomplete, you have saved a time out instead of using it just for a whopping 4 seconds.

The other down side is exactly the one that played out. The Ravens ran a play. The defense was offside. It wasn't enough for a first down, but since the play ran 4 seconds off the clock and replayed the down, the Ravens got to run on third down and use up 40 seconds. Just absolutely idiotic time management.

Here's another potential downside. Suppose, on the third down play, the Steelers commit a defensive penalty that leads to an automatic first down. If you call the time out before the 2:00 warning, the game is now over. You have the 2:00 warning, and the Ravens kneel on the ball 3 times. But if you wait for the 2:00 warning, now you still have a chance. With a time out left, you can get the ball back with 30 seconds left, even with the automatic first down. Just a really terrible terrible call, that people actually think is the smart call.

Given how much parity there is in the NFL, I would think a team could justify paying a coach to do nothing other than be aware of clock situational play. It really used to be a Patriots strength, and they are still better than most of the league, but this year they have shown some poor clock decisions -- the Jets game was particularly bad.

Nothing to add; just wanted to bump this QFT, because I am in complete agreement about the stupidity
of calling time-outs mere seconds before the 2-min warning, yet I see this happening all the dam time.

Count me among those of you who were pisssed about yet another example of poor clock management by the offense.

From my couch, half in the bag, while scratching my balls, I immediately looked at the play clock and saw they could run it to the 2 minute warning. And yet they end up running two plays before the warning!

With this D, it was a no-brainer. Hell, with ANY D, it is a no brainer. Let it go to the warning. Play 2nd down and 3rd down after the warning. Whether you get a TD or FG, the opposing offense has little chance to score before the half.

I get that the offense likes to hurry up to keep the opposing D off balance, but sometimes common sense (and basic football knowledge) need to be used.

I disagree with everyone in this thread.

It's 2nd and 7. You've got to get a first down. It is an obvious running down. So let's say you run and get anything less than 7 yards. Now you can run the clock down and are then put into an obvious passing situation @ the 2 minute mark.

Brady drops back and throws and it's an incomplete now you're punting with 1:50 on the clock and you've gotten here thanks to being predictable two plays in a row.

That's why I thought it was good play calling - because they risk 30 seconds on the clock, roughly, but they improved their chances of getting a first down by not being predictable.

They made similar mistakes last year @ Buffalo right before half and in the Giants regular season game right before their game winning drive. Sometimes I'd wish in these moments (having the ball, under 4 minutes left in the game/half) we'd use the clock to our advantage and leave as little time for the other offense as possible. Give how bad our defense has been, it seems way more logical. It doesn't mean you need to get super conservative, just by running one play or making a short pass and staying in bounds you can take the full 40 seconds off the clock, it's a huge difference in those situations. For whatever reason we never seem to think like that and it usually bites us in the rear when our defense takes the field and there's way too much time for the other team to not capitalize. I always thought that was the whole point of deferring when winning the coin toss, the possibility of having the extra possession.

The clock management/situational awareness all around has been iffy this year - end of Buff game, right before halftime @ Sea, end of AZ game, and the one mentioned in this thread.

Last edited:
Patriots clock management has been highly questionable this year, I know they think that it is time for 6 gun justice and every chance should be taken come hell or high water but a simple analysis of the 4th quarter offense execution (or lack there of ) would lead to more rational and conservative play calling.

Like every unit, there is room for improvement with the coaching. Still time to fine tune things.

I disagree with everyone in this thread.

It's 2nd and 7. You've got to get a first down. It is an obvious running down. So let's say you run and get anything less than 7 yards. Now you can run the clock down and are then put into an obvious passing situation @ the 2 minute mark.

Brady drops back and throws and it's an incomplete now you're punting with 1:50 on the clock and you've gotten here thanks to being predictable two plays in a row.

That's why I thought it was good play calling - because they risk 30 seconds on the clock, roughly, but they improved their chances of getting a first down by not being predictable.

??????

They were already in close FG range. Barring a turnover, points were a given. Obvious run? They didn't have to run a play at all! Call a pass or run after the warning on 2nd and 7.

There was enough time on the play clock after the 1st down play to run it down to the warning without calling another play.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye