PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Situational Defense

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vern

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
I've seen some threads attacking the defense, but here I pay homage to what it achieved today.

In the first half, when it was still a game they performed thusly:
Plays, Yards, Result
5, 2, Fumble (strip sack)
9, 79, TD
3, 3, punt
4, 11, punt
3, 0, punt
5, 11, punt
1, 7, end half
1st half total: 113 yards and ONE score on SEVEN possessions.

Basically, they did their job but for one drive.

Now start the second half, when everyone is thinking "kill the clock, no one get injured and seal this game." Well, I ask you, why does it matter WHICH team kills the clock?

The Pats D went into clock killing mode as follows, starting the half up 42-7 and while keeping a safe 4 TD margin of lead (but for Cassel).
14, 61, INT
10, 80, TD
11, 75, TD
5, 36, end game

2nd half total: 252 yards and 14 points. But here's the key: on just 4 possessions, the Pats D forced Miami to eat up 19:40 of second half clock!! :rocker:

You think you are getting back in the game, but in reality, you're just eating your own limbs to stave off starvation.

Last edited:
And just to be clear, no this does NOT excuse some pretty pathetic tackling the entire second half (or the whole game for that matter).

These guys are human after all and just didn't seem in the game, yet still kept the Fins away from any quick strikes.

I've seen some threads attacking the defense, but here I pay homage to what it achieved today.

Plays, Yards, Result
9, 79, TD
3, 3, punt
4, 11, punt
3, 0, punt
5, 11, punt
1, 7, end half

Now start the second half, when everyone is thinking "kill the clock, no one get injured and seal this game." Well, I ask you, why does it matter WHICH team kills the clock?

The Pats D went into clock killing mode as follows, starting the half up 42-7 and while keeping a safe 4 TD margin of lead (but for Cassel).
14, 61, INT
10, 80, TD
11, 75, TD
5, 36, end game

2nd half total: 252 yards and 14 points. But here's the key: on just 4 possessions, the Pats D forced Miami to eat up 19:40 of second half clock!! :rocker:

You think you are getting back in the game, but in reality, you're just eating your own limbs to stave off starvation.

Let me get this straight, you're saying they play defense differently depending on the situation?

Wow!! What a concept!!

Well, I ask you, why does it matter WHICH team kills the clock?

You can gas a defense by keeping it on the field, and then anything can happen. So no, I don't think anybody wants to control the clock with their defense as their first choice, no matter what.

Still, I see the point that the clock was running down no matter who possessed the ball. But let's face it, when you're down by 35 the clock is never your friend unless you really have a shot at a come back.

I think it was obvious that unless we left Matt SandCassell in there it wasn't gonna happen.

At one point in the game (3rd quarter) Dierdorf was saying how great an 8 minute Miami drive was.... I was laughing my ass off, all they were doing is killing the clock for the Pats.

Plays, Yards, Result
9, 79, TD
3, 3, punt
4, 11, punt
3, 0, punt
5, 11, punt
1, 7, end half

14, 61, INT
10, 80, TD
11, 75, TD
5, 36, end game

You have just described the Strategy that Tony Dungey uses for the Clots....

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. BB said in the offseason, these guys have distorted the Rules in favor of the Offense so badly, that my Pats will become the Clots only better...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes