PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Situational Decision: With a lead of less than 7, 1-3 min left, 4th & inches; Punt or

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Punt or go for it on 4th down?

• Punt: Make the Giants go down the Field

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Go for it on 4th & Short to try to end the game.

Votes: 23 79.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

edboc

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
Hypothetical Situation:
Patriots are leading by 3, 4th & Short midfield with 2:30 left in the 4th quarter, both teams have all 3 timeouts. Assuming that the Giants have been able to move down the field passing for most of the game. What would you do? Let Eli have the chance to drive it down the field to win the game, or try to keep the ball out of his hands and win the game?

Last edited:
Re: Situational Decision: With a lead with less than a touchdown, & 1-3 min left 4th

Need yard line, number of timeouts each team has, more specific lead (less than a touchdown could be 6 or 2 points, which is a huge difference), plus 1-3 minutes straddles the 2-minute warning, which could be significant...

Last edited:
Re: Situational Decision: With a lead with less than a touchdown, & 1-3 min left 4th

Go for it. You don't give Eli the ball the in the 4th quarter.

If it's a 3-0 game Pats...Punt that sucker !!!

If it's a high scoring game the choice might be tougher. :rocker:

Re: Situational Decision: With a lead of less than 7, 1-3 min left, 4th & inches; Pun

Depends on where we are on the field......

Re: Situational Decision: With a lead of less than 7, 1-3 min left, 4th & inches; Pun

In addition to the above 'tweaks', I'd also want to know how effective the Pats run O/tired the Giants run D is by this point. If our guys have been reliably gashing them, then I'm all in to go for it. God bless 'em, but leaving the outcome in the hands of this secondary for all the marbles is not something my stomach favors.

All that being said, this just doesn't feel like a 3 point game. Someone is going to make a big gaffe/lose composure before it can get to that point, or one team will have its will broken. My 'gut' is almost always right.

Last edited:

Go to the line quickly. Have Brady decide if he can make the sneak. If he thinks the sneak is there, quick snap it and pick up the first. If he thinks the sneak is blocked, try to draw an offsides. If that doesn't work, take the delay of game, back up the 5 yards, and have Mesko punt the ball.

Go for it.

Thread says "4th and Inches"......You GO!
QB Sneak.

If the QB sneak fails doesn't that take the clock to the 2:00 warning?

How bout a cheapo fake punt...

God I'd choke in this situation, Kinda choking right now :bricks:

Last edited:

Inside our 40, I punt it and pin them in.

From our 40 to their 30, I would consider going for it, depending on variables, like how the drive is going, how much push is the line getting, can Brady sneak the yards in without taking another nasty hit like the TD two weeks ago.

Inside their 30, well, if our lead is 4-6, boot the three. That makes the game a TD plus a kickoff, so your hoping to make them go 80 yards to tie. 3 or less, depending on how the line looks and if it is going to work I might consider going for it.

If the QB sneak fails doesn't that take the clock to the 2:00 warning?...

No, because it's 4th down. The clock would stop with the change of possession.

Hypothetical Situation:
Patriots are leading by 3, 4th & Short midfield with 2:30 left in the 4th quarter, both teams have all 3 timeouts. Assuming that the Giants have been able to move down the field passing for most of the game. What would you do? Let Eli have the chance to drive it down the field to win the game, or try to keep the ball out of his hands and win the game?

You line up in the "I" formation with trip TEs. The inside TE slightly off-set from the line. You have Brady hike the ball and turn to the side of the field opposite the 2 TEs. You have Polite lead block up the middle. You FAKE to BJGE and hit the Inside TE with a pass since he pulled off the line after the fake and is open for the Pass. Brady flips him the ball and he's off to the races..

Punt it. Even if you do get it you still have to get another first down to win the game. If you don't get it then the Giants only have to go about 20 yards to get into FG range, and will have a short field for a game winning TD.

It depends. Where are the Pats on the field? If they're on their own 20 or less punt...if they're at their 40 or the 50, punt...if they're in Giants territory, go for it.

4th and inches is usually a "go for it" down for us....... but it really depends on where we are on the field, how our defense has been holding up and weather or not the other team has any TOs left. Time is also ha factor - 1 minute is much different then 3 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes