PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

SI's Perloff 2008 Mock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Forgive me if this has been posted already. At first glance, it looks about as right as possible a year out.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/andrew_perloff/05/02/mock.2008/index.html

As someone with very little access to college football I get very dispirited about this time of year as I see a mock and realise I've never heard of anyone on the list and worry that I'll ever get to grips with any of it. Of course by next March I'll know as much about the average third round pick as the front office of the Detroit Lions (ie enough to make a lot mistakes).

So in my considered opinion a CB I've never heard of and a LB I've never heard of sound about perfect for the Pats.

They have out 49er #1 too low but that will take care of itself come draft day. The nice thing is seeing 4 QB in the first round and that doesn't include Ainge who I think will be a #1 pick himself.

I know of 17 of the players on that board. But what college does the kid that Balt takes go to? Who is the guy the Pats pick at the end of the draft?

We don't need to adopt players right before the draft. We need to adopt them now! We need weekly updates during the college season.

How often does a team get the number one pick two years in a row? He has Oakland getting it again.

I'm sure it's happened before byt I imagine it's pretty rare. Oakland has a decent defense and their running game should be a little better with Rhodes and Bush. Their offense line still looks shotty and QB is a big unknown. McCown is the starter right now but the is just plain bad. Russel has looked pretty good but he is a rookie.

Last edited:
How often does a team get the number one pick two years in a row? He has Oakland getting it again.

I'm sure it's happened before byt I imagine it's pretty rare. Oakland has a decent defense and their running game should be a little better with Rhodes and Bush. Their offense line still looks shotty and QB is a big unknown. McCown is the starter right now but the is just plain bad. Russel has looked pretty good but he is a rookie.
Well you have to pick someone and the Raiders are as good a bet as any. Like a lot of teams with bad offenses, their defense is probably somewhat overated as teams didn't need to score on them much. Anyway, they're the team I would pick for the #1 pick right now even though someone else will probably get it.

I know of 17 of the players on that board. But what college does the kid that Balt takes go to? Who is the guy the Pats pick at the end of the draft?

We don't need to adopt players right before the draft. We need to adopt them now! We need weekly updates during the college season.

It's not a bad idea. Are you volunteerin gto kick it off.

I know of two players on there: Brohm and Henne. The Pats won't be going for either.

James Laurenitis would be a nice fit. He is a great cover linebacker and a beast against the run, but no way he lasts that long. He might not even come out his junior season as Tressle has alot of players graduate.

If we are talking ILB, I like Jasper Brinkley out of S.Carolina. Also Philip Wheeler of GTech, if he can reach 240 lbs. He's listed now at 6'2'' 232.

You guys are STILL talking about drafting LB ? :D

I would focus more on :

DL - Warren will be heading into his last year a year from now unless he extends.

S - We'll have Meriweather and that's about it.
CB - We'll have Hobbs and that's about it.

I would volunteer, but I don't watch much college football and I'm subject to what the media shows me. Doubt they will show me highlights of players at average schools, just the overrated ones at big schools.

Quite frankly I think it stinks and I doubt NE drafts those two players.

With all those other DEs going high, maybe Tommy Blake (TCU) will be the first DE-OLB conversion BB drafts in round one. **splat** Blasted flying pigs, ugh!

http://thefootballexpert.com/bardysonmockdraft080001.html
1. Miami Dolphins – Jake Long OT Michigan
John Beck and Ronnie Brown are the future for Miami. Their defense is old and there is no big name O-Lineman. Long and Baker will battle it out for the best tackle in America, my guess is that the 6’ 7’’ monster out of Michigan has the better ability and body. Long will only make life easier for Beck and Brown.

2. Buffalo Bills – Sam Baker OT USC
Back to back offensive tackles is fun to see. If Losman does not show more improvement Brian Brohm will be looked at for Buffalo. Buffalo also could take Glenn Dorsey here as well, but giving Baker to block for Marshawn Lynch would make him the happiest man in Buffalo.
-----
21. New England Patriots (from San Francisco) – Vince Hall LB Virginia Tech
The Pats did not get their heir apparent of middle linebacker in this years draft as many thought they would. Vince Hall is stout at 6’ 240 pounds. What makes him special is his work ethic and tackling ability. Vince Hall I swear can take down grizzly bears. The Patriots will take Hall and make him into the leading tackler of the NFL.
-----
25. New York Jets – Tyson Jackson DE LSU
There is something in the water down in Baton Rouge, because they keep on producing NFL talent year in and out, ecspecially defensive lineman. Tyson is a hard worker and plays the run and rushes well. The Jets have a great underrated player in Shaun Ellis but he is 30 and there is age on the other sides of the ends.
-----
32. New England Patriots – Malcolm Jenkins* CB Ohio State
Asante Samuels is going to be on his way out of New England after saying he is holding out till week ten. Malcolm Jenkins has the potential to carry on the Ohio State d-back tradition; he just needs to make some more plays.

Last edited:
http://www.411mania.com/sports/nfl/55584/Shawn\\s-Corner:-1st-Official-2008-NFL-Mock-Draft.htm
Some history about me: As many of you already know, my expertise is the NFL, College Football, and the NFL Draft. I placed 8th out of 95 people in a 2007 Mock Draft contest. This contest included Mel Kiper, who I finished one point behind, and several other well know Draft analysts, including NFL Network's Mike Mayock and Charles Davis, ESPN's Todd McShay, and ex/Texans General Manager Charley Casserly. I finished ahead of all four.

Now for the mock.

I decided to use last year's order for this mock:
-----
11. New England (from San Francisco) – James Laurinaitis LB Ohio State: Laurinaitis is coming into the '07 season as a player that is on fire. His stock is soaring right now and he is even being talked about as a Heisman candidate. The Pats need some help at inside linebacker. Junior Seau is 38 and Tedy Bruschi turned 37 this past Saturday. Laurinaitis would be capable of stepping in and starting right away.
-----
28. New England – Tyson Jackson DE LSU: Jackson's stock is really on the rise, as scouts are really starting realize his potential. At 6-5, 292 lbs, Jackson would be an ideal fit for the Patriots 3-4 defensive end spot. They already added an inside linebacker with James Laurinaitis, making this a "best player available" pick. They Pats truly know how to scout, which is why this pick makes a lot of sense.

Why in the world would the writer have the Dolphins taking a QB in the first when they took one this year in the 2nd? That right there tells me not to lend anything to this mock.

A few of things.

1) While Miami didn't take Quinn, they DID invest a high 2nd round pick in Beck. Short of Beck having a mental break-down, there is no way Miami takes a QB in the first round next year.

2) The Raiders have Rhodes and Lamont Jordan. Why would they take a RB?

3) Teams that will be looking at 1st round QBs in 2008: Buccaneers, Bears, Falcons, Jaguars, Lions. Others could be the Panthers, Packers, and Vikings.

4) People keep questioning the Texans at LT. However, they drafted Charles Spencer last year and he started 2 games for them at LT and is rumorede to be the front runner going into this season, though they did sign Jordon Black from the Chiefs. Black could also play RT or they could move Spencer inside to LG. The line did give up 41 sacks, but it was the lowest total since 2003 when they allowed 36 sacks.

5) While "everyone loves pass-rushers" the Cowboys picked up Anthony Spencer this year to play opposite DeMarcus Ware. I think its unlikely the Boys would spend another 1st round pick on a DE only to have that player sit on the bench.

6) This was done prior to Oliver being declared academically ineligible. Oliver wont be available in the 2008 draft because someone will already have him via the supplemental draft.

I don't really care who they have taking who at this point, just seeing a list of first round quality guys to pay attention to is fine for this time of year . . . for me.

I have a feeling Eric Ainge is going to move about some of the QB they have going in the first round. This looks like a possible 4-5 first round QB year which is great for us.

I don't follow college until the end of each season, to see who's getting the big bump right before the draft approaches... that said...

Okay, the #1 #1, Darren McFadden. Didn't he sing "Don't Worry, Be Happy"?

Secondly, the Pats #32 pick in this draft? No way TSA lets him through the airport for a workout.

PFnV

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye