PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

SI's King has Pats in SB...this time vs 'Boys

Status
Not open for further replies.
holyredeemer said:
Funny thing is, alot but not all of the posters on this board love to dog Bledsoe like he is some sort of chump back there at QB. All I have to say, is that he's gone, get over it, and stop being so butt hurt. Bledsoe would be much more formidable against us, then say, Mcnabb was or Delhomme. If Delhomme could pick us apart the way he did with Smith, then imagine Bledsoe with Terry Glenn AND T.O. It's fun to fantazise about this matchup, because I bet it would be one hell of a game.

ok, I LOVED Bledsoe... was one of those who while loving what Brady did for the Pats, Loved how great bledsoe was in his next year with the Bills and that we shouldnt have let him go.... but that was then and THIS IS NOW. Bledsoe is done, the Boys will NOT be in the super bowl because of the combo of Drews led feet and TO's hot head. The Boys would be MUCH better off with Mcnabb or Delhomme! if Parcells could make that trade, he would do it in a second!

Huh? Drew's led a team to a superbowl before, in 96 if I recall correctly. He doesn't lack the talent. We know that his weakness is lack of mobility but he has as much offensive talent around him now as he did back in '96. Drew's still got the natural canon arm, anyone who believes he can only throw 50 yard bombs is a little delusional. His best throw is the 20 yard out, of the frozen rope variety. We know the best way to beat Drew is to disrupt him before he can use his arm to pick a defense apart. If you let him sit in the pocket all day he will hurt you.

That being said there are a lot of questions about whether TO will be a headcase or an asset. That must be answered before any Superbowl prognostication. TO has the ability to take a team on his back, or completely disrupt it. We'll see what happens.

As for the D, Tuna got one of his guys in Carpenter, the draft may well have improved the Cowboys considerably. I think they are a sleeper to get to the NFC championship game. That is if everything goes right for them.

Last edited:
i really would like a Super Bowl between Pats and Cowboys

let's hope so...

I do like the Cowboys this year but that's a tough division and it will be difficult to come out of it with the top seed or even a bye. Which will make it tough in the playoffs.

I'm not a Bledsoe-basher, but I agree with those who see the flaw in King's vision as Bledsoe's inability to win the big game. Yes, I know about the SB , but that was a long time ago in NFL years.

Also, I wonder what the over-under is on how many games into the season it will be before TO is seen stomping around on the sidelines, complaining to Parcells or Bledsoe that Drew can't get him the ball? I don't think I'm going too far out on a limb to put it at Week 11 during the Colts game...

PatsFanSince74 said:
Also, I wonder what the over-under is on how many games into the season it will be before TO is seen stomping around on the sidelines, complaining to Parcells or Bledsoe that Drew can't get him the ball?
If there's one thing that Bledsoe can do it's get the ball downfield. I don't know why someone would think he won't be able to get the ball to Owens. Bledsoe's a better passer than McNabb. Not a better QB but a better passer especially downfield.

Last edited by a moderator:
BelichickFan said:
If there's one thing that Bledsoe can do it's get the ball downfield. I don't know why someone would think he won't be able to get the ball to Owens. Bledsoe's a better passer than McNabb. Not a better QB but a better passer especially downfield.

No he's not. For years and years, one of the complaints about Bledsoe while he was the Pats QB was that he couldn't consistently hit the long ball. He's best at rifling the ball in the 15-20 yard range, and occasionally going over the top. Of course, BB would just take that away and make him throw checkdowns and screens all day, which Drew would inevitably bungle.

Anyone that thinks that Drew Bledsoe would beat Tom Brady in the Superbowl without an overwhelming talent advantage on his team needs to get their head checked.

Richter said:
No he's not. For years and years, one of the complaints about Bledsoe while he was the Pats QB was that he couldn't consistently hit the long ball. He's best at rifling the ball in the 15-20 yard range, and occasionally going over the top.
Well I think he is. McNabb is a poor downfield thrower IMO. He's a really good QB but I think Bledsoe will get the ball to Owens just fine.

BelichickFan said:
Well I think he is. McNabb is a poor downfield thrower IMO. He's a really good QB but I think Bledsoe will get the ball to Owens just fine.

It'll be tough for him to get the ball to T.O. from his back. Which is where he'll continue to spend his time this season on the field, because that offensive line still sucks.

Richter said:
It'll be tough for him to get the ball to T.O. from his back. Which is where he'll continue to spend his time this season on the field, because that offensive line still sucks.
Maybe, we'll see, but the Cowboys have a good running game too. Not a great one but a good one.

Anyway, here's the stats from last year. I didn't feel like going back further.

Passes thrown 31+ yards :

Bledsoe : 10-31-529.
McNabb : 3-18-120
Brady : 5-23-234

Draw whatever conclusion you choose.

PromisedLand said:
But I don't understand what Brady has to do with it. As he would be the first to say, he doesn't play against the other team's offense, he plays against their defense.

Just mildly speculating(tongue firmly in cheek) that Parcells might think bringing Drew Hansen out against Brady could be more effective than playing DB. You know, old college back-up vs old pro teammate?:cool:

BelichickFan said:
Maybe, we'll see, but the Cowboys have a good running game too. Not a great one but a good one.

Anyway, here's the stats from last year. I didn't feel like going back further.

Passes thrown 31+ yards :

Bledsoe : 10-31-529.
McNabb : 3-18-120
Brady : 5-23-234

Draw whatever conclusion you choose.

Yeah, Julius Jones was *great* last year. So great I sent him to the waiver wire by week 6. Jones and Barber together made for at best a decent rushing attack. Nothing that kept Bledsoe from getting killed repeatedly. As for those numbers... quite frankly, they're all putrid. McNabb gets something of a pass because his receivers weren't exactly stellar, but they all sucked at that range. Bledsoe sucked a little less, but that's attributable to the fact that throwing down the field like that is half luck to begin with, so one season of data isn't very compelling. I'd rather take a look at career numbers myself.

VJCPatriot said:
Huh? Drew's led a team to a superbowl before, in 96 if I recall correctly. He doesn't lack the talent. We know that his weakness is lack of mobility but he has as much offensive talent around him now as he did back in '96. Drew's still got the natural canon arm, anyone who believes he can only throw 50 yard bombs is a little delusional. His best throw is the 20 yard out, of the frozen rope variety. We know the best way to beat Drew is to disrupt him before he can use his arm to pick a defense apart. If you let him sit in the pocket all day he will hurt you.
To compare the '96 Drew to the 2006 Drew is delusional. Just because the guy had potential 10 years ago to make it to the SB does not prove he has the talent to go back this year. Drew's problem is not lack of mobility. That is a lame excuse for poor decision making and the inability to select a target quickly. Drew's problem is not physical. It is mental. If mobility were the issue, then Brady would stink. Drew's ability is lacking when it comes to quick game time decisions. Yes, he does have a strong arm still. He does not have pin point accuracy like he did. He cannot be the general that leads the team to battle. His indecision makes him choke. His best throw is 20 yards? How is that positive if it is true? You do not win games 20 yards at a time. He does not have the ability to pick apart a defense anymore. He is a gunslinger. That is all.

Richter said:
Yeah, Julius Jones was *great* last year.
I said good, dude, good. Julius Jones is good and will be a little better than that this year with defenses having to deal with Owens.

Richter said:
As for those numbers... quite frankly, they're all putrid. McNabb gets something of a pass because his receivers weren't exactly stellar, but they all sucked at that range.
Fine, Peyton Manning was 5-19-295.

Bledsoe's numbers didn't suck, those just aren't easy balls to complete.

Richter said:
Bledsoe sucked a little less, but that's attributable to the fact that throwing down the field like that is half luck to begin with, so one season of data isn't very compelling. I'd rather take a look at career numbers myself.
Feel free to look them up, I can't find an easy way to do it and it's not worth the effort just to prove you wrong. I'll give you three year totals on Manning vs. Bledsoe vs. McNabb, though :

Manning : 22-59-954
Bledsoe : 22-67-1163
McNabb : 21-80-1056

So Bledsoe had a better YPA and CMP % than McNabb. He had a worse CMP % than Manning but a better YPA.

But check out McNabb in 2003 and 2005 (without Owens) :

6-38-274.

BelichickFan said:
I said good, dude, good. Julius Jones is good and will be a little better than that this year with defenses having to deal with Owens.

Fine, Peyton Manning was 5-19-295.

Feel free to look them up, I can't find an easy way to do it and it's not worth the effort just to prove you wrong. I'll give you three year totals on Manning vs. Bledsoe vs. McNabb, though :

Manning : 22-59-954
Bledsoe : 22-67-1163
McNabb : 21-80-1056

So Bledsoe had a better YPA and CMP % than McNabb. He had a worse CMP % than Manning but a better YPA.

But check out McNabb in 2003 and 2005 (without Owens) :

6-38-274.

LOL, all three of them cannot win the Big game. They are all eqaul when it comes to that one.

BelichickFan said:

Jones sucked last year. He had one breakout stretch of games, and one bad season. It's buyer beware at this point for me, and I'm not buying into him being a good, or at least a consistently good back yet.

As for Bledsoe's numbers, that was kind of my point. Those aren't easy balls to complete, and Drew has the reputation of struggling through his career on the long ball, so I'd be interested to see his career numbers. I'd also like to know if those stats were strictly 31+ in the air.

Richter said:
I'd also like to know if those stats were strictly 31+ in the air.
Based on ESPN's wording, I think they are, the split says :

Pass Thrown: 31-40 yds.
Pass Thrown: 41+ yds.

I added the totals for those two.

Richter, it's kind of a moot point when looking at career stats just to validate this argument. You absolutely forget what Bledsoe has now that he has never had, and that is a WR like TO. IF TO keeps his mouth shut (which I bet for the most part he will) Dallas is going to be a strong offensive weapon during the offseason.
Career stats do nothing to help you with that argument. Also, fantasy football numbers and attitudes just dont really work for that either. All I can say is just watch and see. Bledsoes still got it and I would take Bledsoe winning a SB before Manning ever does. Remember when we barely beat the fricking cowboys with Quincy Carter at the helm? Parcells has still got it and so does Bledsoe. They can give us some trouble, thats for damn sure.

holyredeemer said:
Richter, it's kind of a moot point when looking at career stats just to validate this argument. You absolutely forget what Bledsoe has now that he has never had, and that is a WR like TO. IF TO keeps his mouth shut (which I bet for the most part he will) Dallas is going to be a strong offensive weapon during the offseason.
Career stats do nothing to help you with that argument. Also, fantasy football numbers and attitudes just dont really work for that either. All I can say is just watch and see. Bledsoes still got it and I would take Bledsoe winning a SB before Manning ever does. Remember when we barely beat the fricking cowboys with Quincy Carter at the helm? Parcells has still got it and so does Bledsoe. They can give us some trouble, thats for damn sure.

You can believe that if you want, Bledsoe is a loser. He doesn't have the mental ability needed to be a winning QB. And I'd say career numbers do matter, because for T.O. to catch a ball, Bledsoe has to get it to him.

By the way, I seem to remember the last game against the Cowboys being a 12-0 asswhooping in foul weather conditions laid down on the Cowpokes. Living in Texas currently and seeing most if not all of the Cowboys' games season to season, I'm not too worried about that team.

holyredeemer said:
What game were you watching? I believe we shut them out.

Everyone is giving opinions about Bledsoes flaws (mobility, deep ball, playing under pressure, etc) but I havent seen anyone (sorry if someone did, I just scaneed the long thread) list the real flaw in Bledsoe's game: DECISON MAKING.
Yes, he can throw the ball, yes you can find good numbers in almost any category if you narrow down enough. But time and time again, Bledsoe makes poor decisions throwing the ball. Always has, always will. Thats why it is such a longshot that a Bledsoe team could win a SB. At some point through a playoff run, those bad decisions happen, and in a playoff run, they cause a loss. In 1996, we won 2 games where we played great D, ran the ball, and minimized Bledsoe's importance. In the SB, we needed to throw the ball often and well, and his poor decisions showed up again.

Those poor decisions result in Ints, sacks from holding the ball, or stupid throws on 3rd down killing drives. You can only survive so many of those against good teams, so to make a playoff run to win the SB is very difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back