PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

SI's Don Banks NFL AFC East Preview

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he and I have the same exact records for each of the AFC East teams.

I think he and I have the same exact records for each of the AFC East teams.

I see the Pats at 12 wins and the Bills at 10,the Jets at 9 and the Dolphins at 5

I see the Pats at 12 wins and the Bills at 10,the Jets at 9 and the Dolphins at 5

I have been bouncing between 12 and 13 wins for the Pats and 6 and 7 wins for the Jets, but otherwise I think he and I are of the same mind. I don't see the Jets winning 9 games this year at all. I mean they have a pretty good offense if you take away the fact they don't have a lead back, QB, a WR corp, or RT.

Last edited:
Man.............. i had the Jets winning the division and SB this year :bricks:

Last edited:
I have been bouncing between 12 and 13 wins for the Pats and 6 and 7 wins for the Jets, but otherwise I think he and I are of the same mind. I don't see the Jets winning 9 games this year at all. I mean they have a pretty good offense if you take away the fact they don't have a lead back, QB, a WR corp, or RT.

I still believe the Jets can win 9 games because their defense will once again be very good...not dominating but good.

If that defense can keep opposing teams under 20 points on average most of the season,I think their offense could muster enough to score more than the opponent about 1/2 the time.

The Jets season will rely on defense and 2 offensive players who must have all pro seasons or unexpected play...Those 2 key guys are Holmes and Greene,of course Sanchez is going to have to be the one that allows them to prosper by not making dumb plays as he is susceptible of doing.

I truly believe that anything at or below an 8-8 record for the Jets will be the end of the Rex Ryan era in NY....I could see Tanny under pressure as well,

Woody does not appear to me to be a guy that will accept mediocrity to continue much longer without change.

Last edited:
If that defense can keep opposing teams under 20 points ..
Make that 10 points. They have a gimmick offense with backup/gimmick QBs, no big running threat and no number one receiver. Their OL has not been fixed yet and they have proven bad locker room chemistry. Sparano and the Wildcat? I feel like I'm talking about Red Grange for chrissake.

I think they could not only lose twice to the Pats but by big margins that just embarrass the hell out of the organization. All those funny Rex moments where he called out Bill are going to come back to haunt that team.

At the moment i am thinking pats 12-4, Buffalo 9-7, Jets 7-9, Dolphins 4-12

Personally i think the jets and Buffalo could both operate either side of that 8-8 range but it's pre season atm i just though i may have seen more from Buffalo's front 4.

A 12-4 record for the Patriots would be disappointing. It would likely mean beating a lot of sub .500 teams and losing to the good team it played. Like last year.

I do not see the Jets below 8-8. Their D will be above average. That alone will be enough to win most of the games against the weaker teams on the schedule.

The Bills? Meh. How often do off season darlings live up to expectations? I'll believe it when I see it.

The Dolphins? Hard knocks is a good show. That's the nicest thing I have to say about them.

I still believe the Jets can win 9 games because their defense will once again be very good...not dominating but good.

If that defense can keep opposing teams under 20 points on average most of the season,I think their offense could muster enough to score more than the opponent about 1/2 the time.

The Jets season will rely on defense and 2 offensive players who must have all pro seasons or unexpected play...Those 2 key guys are Holmes and Greene,of course Sanchez is going to have to be the one that allows them to prosper by not making dumb plays as he is susceptible of doing.

I truly believe that anything at or below an 8-8 record for the Jets will be the end of the Rex Ryan era in NY....I could see Tanny under pressure as well,

Woody does not appear to me to be a guy that will accept mediocrity to continue much longer without change.

I think if they go 9-7, Ryan deserves serious consideration for Coach of the Year. I think their ceiling is 8-8 because they lucked out of quite a few games last year (Romo's meltdown at the end of the game, facing Tyler Palko in KC, Getting Matt Moore on his first game as a starter, and facing Luke McCown with the Jags) and I don't think they are any better this year.

I think their offense is much worse than last year and they haven't found anyone to replace Burress or Tomlinson. Burress sucked outside the red zone, but he was a big part of them going from the worst red zone offense in 2010 to one of the best. I don't buy into Stephen Hill and never did, but he is so raw that he won't be a huge threat this year even if I am wrong. Tomlinson was also a threat in the passing game and they replaced him with McKnight who is really just a pure special teamer.

On defense, I think their LB corp is old and slow. They still haven't shown they can pressure the QB (all of their sacks came by the second and third teams and rarely pressure the QB). Their stats last year were not indicative of how they were. They were closer to average than elite and I don't know if they are significantly better especially if their offense continues to put them in bad starting positions.

I am also betting that fans will miss Schottenheimer by the end of the year. I don't think he is a great OC, but I think he knew that Sanchez was a limited QB and tailored the offense to minimize his weaknesses. Sparano is more of a rushing offensive type of guy and I don't know if he will realize the limitations and tailor the offense the same way. That could set up disaster.

BTW, the likihood of either Holmes or Greene having an All Pro season is unlikely. Greene is a limited straight line runner who can't make plays on his own and finally cracked 1,000 yards last year. Holmes has never had a great season as the clear cut #1 (his best year he was #2 to Hines Ward). Teams can double team him without fear because there is no one else who can't be covered in single coverage.

Also, I think that Tannebaum will be the scape goat this year. He will get blamed for building a talentless offense.

Woody Johnson probably will keep Rex for far longer than he should because Rex gets the Jets on the back page and I think Woody is just as happy if the Jets are dominating media coverage as winning games. Just look at what he has done so far this football year including getting Tebow and having ESPN setting up shop at camp. Everything Rex says is gobbled up by the media.

Last edited:
A dominating year for the Pats would be no worse than 13-3, and anything less means trouble in the playoffs,IMO. I am not sold on Buffalo either. I actually think the Jets may be better than people think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back