PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

SI's Don Banks 2011 Underachieving team at 1/2 way point (3 Pats on list)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Philip Rivers, Chris Johnson headline top underachievers so far this year - Don Banks - SI.com

Why is Dog Killer Vick as leader of the 2-4 dream team and Reggie Bush not on the list?

While Rivers has not played as well as he has in the past - and the two minute drill last week was horrific - I agree that he doesn't deserve to be named most underachieving QB of the season. While his stats are not stellar, the Chargers are still 4-2, with both losses coming on cross country road trips to playoff teams from a year ago that have winning records this year. Vick, Kolb, Bradford, McNabb, Flacco, Freeman - there are a lot of other QBs more underachieving than Rivers right now.

Why is Albert Haynesworth on this list? Meanwhile uber stud pass rushing demon Clay Mathews is on pace for a whopping 6/7 sacks.

Last edited:
It says a lot when you can have 3 players underachieving like that and still be 3 points away from 6-0. Imagine what'll happen once those 3 come around.

Why is Albert Haynesworth on this list?

Because apparently all big-name trade acquisitions are expected to have impeccable health. It's a shame Banks doesn't realize that the Pats are purposely limiting his play (both by being careful with his back and keep his snap count down) now so he can play well when it counts.

Dallas Clark is under performing?? Look at who's throwing him the ball.. MY GOD!

Why is Albert Haynesworth on this list? Meanwhile uber stud pass rushing demon Clay Mathews is on pace for a whopping 6/7 sacks.

The preseason hype on the guy was too much. People expected him to be his 2007 self. He has been solid, but hasn't make huge plays. For what the Pats gave up and are paying him, he has lived up to his reputation.

It says a lot when you can have 3 players underachieving like that and still be 3 points away from 6-0. Imagine what'll happen once those 3 come around.

Maybe Haynesworth will come around with some better performances like in sacks if he WANTS to play as dominant as he is capable of.

Ochocinco is done as anything more than a JAG 5th WR for depth IMO...I don't care if he has 10 years with the team,he is what he is which is an aging WR with little left to offer unless you want Hollywood type entertainment on Twitter or Dancing With The Stars on TV.

McCourty must be improving enough in the F.O. eyes to have the team say bye to Bodden

Last edited:
The preseason hype on the guy was too much. People expected him to be his 2007 self. He has been solid, but hasn't make huge plays. For what the Pats gave up and are paying him, he has lived up to his reputation.

I read he only had 2 tackles thus far in 4 games played....Is that correct?

That's not underachieving. He's the only legitimate pass rusher on that defense. At minimum he's double teamed every passing down.

That's not underachieving. He's the only legitimate pass rusher on that defense. At minimum he's double teamed every passing down.

2009: 10 sacks
2010: 13.5 sacks
2011: on pace for 6-7 sacks

I call that underachieving. Though I've always felt the guy was overrated.

I read he only had 2 tackles thus far in 4 games played....Is that correct?

He is collapsing the pocket to let other players make plays. That is solid. That key sack on Romo by Carter had a lot to do with Haynesworth. He isn't showing up in the stats column, but making an impact on the field. Not what most were expecting and that is why he is considered a huge disapointment.

2009: 10 sacks
2010: 13.5 sacks
2011: on pace for 6-7 sacks

I call that underachieving. Though I've always felt the guy was overrated.

According to STATS Matthews is #1 in the NFL in QB Knockdowns and Hurries at 19.5 and slightly ahead of runner up Jared Allen

Some things don't always show in the stat sheet

According to STATS Matthews is #1 in the NFL in QB Knockdowns and Hurries at 19.5 and slightly ahead of runner up Jared Allen

Some things don't always show in the stat sheet

Fair enough. I stand corrected.

The poster above me beat me to it. For anyone to say Matthews is overrated is just absurd. The guy is a freak, this year included.

see, this is why I hate when people use stats to say "so and so isnt working out" etc.

the Pats have had sacks in all the games Haynesworth has played, and none in those which he hasnt...can it be a coincidence?? hes getting pressure on the pocket and double/triple teamed which leaves guys like anderson carter to sack/get to the QB...it might not show up on the stat sheet, but hes making sort of an impact..

even Belichick said that stats like sacks are an overrated measure of how a Defensive player is doing

its like you never hear about the guy running a great route or setting a block that gets someone else open, but those are all just as important in making a play work.

The poster above me beat me to it. For anyone to say Matthews is overrated is just absurd. The guy is a freak, this year included.

Nah, it really isn't. The guy is quite good, but pretty one-dimensional.

Suh? Are you kidding me? All this list does is confirm Don Banks is an idiot.

Suh? Are you kidding me? All this list does is confirm Don Banks is an idiot.

Exactly. If you want to say Suh is playing boneheaded because he's going to get himself suspended for a cheap shot, that's one thing. To say he's underachieving is silly.

I think it comes from people's assumptions that every young player is expected to get not just better each year, but noticeably better. He had 10 sacks his rookie year, so the fact he's not on pace for 15 this year means he's not playing as good as he's capable. It's just not that black and white.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes