PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

SI's Bedard Practically Crowns the Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.

shmessy

Phoenix, AZ/Retired
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Patriots Report: Better Than Ever? - With a (relatively) healthy roster including a shiny new shutdown corner, this might be the best Patriots team since 18-1 | MMQB - SI.com

Good stuff throughout - - really worried about what he writes regarding Solder (we've had it discussed here a bit also).

Summation?

"WHAT I THOUGHT WHEN I WALKED OUT OF CAMP
The Patriots are going to the Super Bowl, if not winning it. There are some questions on the offensive line after the retirement of coach Dante Scarnecchia, and strong safety could be a disaster (again). But if things go right for this team, especially with injuries (hello Gronk), the Patriots are stacked on both sides of the ball. Given what they did last season with half a team, they are primed to capture that elusive title a decade after their last."​

Lets see. He afterall picked the Steelers to go to the SB last yr.

Dante not coaching the line worries me the most about this team.

Lets see. He afterall picked the Steelers to go to the SB last yr.

I never put much into any of these preseason columns (or early season columns, for that matter).

They do have a strong team. His points about Solder and Browner are something to keep on eye on.

Put me down as someone who would like to see Browner paired up with McCourty at Safety where they can truly use his height and ranginess in the Red Zone, take him off the LOS where he will be a flag magnet with the new rules, plus he loves to hit. I have no problems with Ryan or Dennard covering the #2 WR's.

You always have to take Bedard seriously. He puts a lot of thought into his pieces.

That said, my trip to camp actually tempered my expectations. I went feeling the same way, that this team is 2007 or 2004 esque, just looking at the roster and reading all the reports. I left camp puzzled and concerned over why the OL looked iffy. The line has failed us before, and I do fear it's our weakest spot. It's unfortunately a spot that can kill you.

That caveat aside, we're obviously going to win an awful lot of games this year. And I still think it comes down to Brady, Gronk & Revis being healthy. If those three are upright in the winter, we'll manage.

The line had difficulties at times last year with Dante. They strengthened the position, so let's see how it plays out once they get everyone up to speed.

good article.....i cant disagree with anything in particular......

While I also have my reservations about this offensive line. I do agree with Bedard that there are some areas that improved immensely. With the additions in the 2ndary and having Wilfork,Mayo,Kelly, Vollmer and Gronkowski healthy it seems like a no brainer. No one has improved more in the AFC.

I have thought about that, also. But, honestly, if the coaching staff and the players can't compensate for Dante's departure then they aren't a Super Bowl contending organization.

I like Bedard, but his preseason is no different than anyone else. If his preseason predictions are right, he may be more lucky than better than anyone else.

Why? It's not like his o-line protected brady in the last two Super Bowls and AFCCG last year. As great a coach as Dante is, it's time to give someone else a shot.

This team is better than any we've had for quite some time.

IF they can stay healthy.

RE: Bedards "I may regret come November" point..

Even after his four-game suspension is up, Brandon Browner is no sure thing at cornerback opposite Revis

(He goes more in-depth on this point in the article)

I have been thinking the same thing. I am not saying I am a 100% behind this opinion, just that I would not be surprised to see Denard starting a lot of games. Even after Browner returns, based on that weeks game plan.

The line had difficulties at times last year with Dante. They strengthened the position, so let's see how it plays out once they get everyone up to speed.
Hopefully the new guy is the real deal. Dante seemed to make any old jag at least play at a somewhat respectable level. I feel like I could have started for the Patriots with Dante coaching and I'm only 175lbs lol.

I can't help but wonder if Solder's spotty play was due to him trying to play through something. He's been a very solid LT for most of his tenure.

Who would replace Solder in the event that he's out for an extended period of time, though?

While Mankins has replaced him in the past and would be the expected guy in case of injury, Vollmer and Cannon have also taken plenty of reps at LT in practices.

At the end of the day, I don't think many would argue that Mankins is the most talented of the 3 by far. I'm just stating who else would even be in the mix, that's all.

When Mankins took over last year, Vollmer was on IR. I don't know that it would be that different this year, but we can assume that Vollmer would certainly be in the mix for LT reps, even if he didn't win the job.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back