PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sirius NFL Radio caller: Pats may sign Texans WR Armstrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seymour93

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Around an hour ago, someone called in to say that as long as the Texans had David Carr they'd never win. Kirwan and the other host asked why and the caller answered the Texans should give WR Derick Armstrong more of a chance because he's got height (6'2) and talent. The caller then revealed that he's related to Armstrong (I think he said Armstrong's his brother-in-law) and he has insider information... that RFA Armstrong may go to New England. Now maybe this signing is imminent, but more likely BB/Pioli are scouting Armstrong and said they may give him an offer. I don't know what compensation the RFA Armstrong requires.

His stats are unimpressive, but he's only been in the league for 4 years and is taller than any of our current WR's.

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/390945

I'd still rather they made a move on Randy Hymes...he's a UFA.

He's 27...and tall and...why not?? I am sure there is some knock on him...but he may have some upside...it is the obscure players that we do not know much about that being Patriot stars...MORE so that than...anything else..

From what I remember, he was an occasional big-play receiver for the Texans, sort of a Texans version of Bethel Johnson. Young, with a lot of physical gifts, but hadn't quite developed enough to make a consistent impact.

Then again, the Texans can make a receiver like Andre Johnson look average, so take everything with a grain of salt!

re

I think the Patriots really trust in their scouting, and keep files of all players even after they end up on other teams.

Amstrong was probably rated well coming out of the draft, and the Pats have kept an eye on him, as well as other players, since they've been in the league.

Scouts, Inc. has him graded a 60 (bottom end of the "good backup" category).

Posession receiver...good downfield blocker...big frame and leaping ability...great in the red zone...not fast....can't stretch the field...not a very good route runner...can't make the big play...can't burst off defenders...lacks upper body strength...drops catchable balls and loses concentration...still very raw...lacks good recognition and fundamental skills...still needs a lot of work.

Last edited:
pats1 said:
not fast....can't stretch the field...not a very good route runner...can't make the big play...can't burst off defenders...lacks upper body strength...drops catchable balls and loses concentration...still very raw...lacks good recognition and fundamental skills...still needs a lot of work.
Sounds like he'd fill the #2 WR issue with no problem :D

The guys a stiff. He only has one tackle in 35 games. :D

pats1 said:
...not fast....can't stretch the field...not a very good route runner...can't make the big play...can't burst off defenders...lacks upper body strength...drops catchable balls and loses concentration...still very raw...lacks good recognition and fundamental skills...still needs a lot of work.

Wow the Pats are going to sign the second coming of Donald Hayes again?! :D Well at least he's cheaper than Givens. :bricks:

if he comes in .. likely competition for Bethel and Childress for 1 of the last WR spots

pats1 said:
Scouts, Inc. has him graded a 60 (bottom end of the "good backup" category).

Posession receiver...good downfield blocker...big frame and leaping ability...great in the red zone...not fast....can't stretch the field...not a very good route runner...can't make the big play...can't burst off defenders...lacks upper body strength...drops catchable balls and loses concentration...still very raw...lacks good recognition and fundamental skills...still needs a lot of work.

Interesting to note that 33 of his 45 career receptions have gone for first downs (21 out of 29 in 2004 with 7 catches going for 20-or-more yards and 1 of 40+), so I don't understand why Scouts, Inc says that he "can't make the big play".

Armstrong is a right-of-first-refusal restricted FA. There is no draft compensation due him.

cubedoggy said:
I'd still rather they made a move on Randy Hymes...he's a UFA.

i like Randy Hymes as well...i thought he played well for the Ravens and they had no QB.

Coast2CoastPatsFan said:
Interesting to note that 33 of his 45 career receptions have gone for first downs (21 out of 29 in 2004 with 7 catches going for 20-or-more yards and 1 of 40+), so I don't understand why Scouts, Inc says that he "can't make the big play".

Ehh...the whole "big play" thing was just my interpretation. They basically say he doesn't have the speed to get deep, and won't stretch a short catch into something bigger. The only thing really pertaining to his clutchness was the "drops a lot of catchable balls and loses concentration."

Texans fans are surprisingly high on Armstrong....

I asked about Armstrong on a few Texans forums.

http://www.texanstalk.com/cgi-bin/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1143763665

thegr8fan said:
he was our #4 WR last season behind, Bradford, Gaffney, and Andre Johnson. Honestly I don't know WHY he was our #4 and not at least a #2. All he does is catch anything thrown anywhere near him that is remotely catchable. Seriously, some of us named him Spider man, his hands seem to be that 'sticky' when they catch a pass.

the rumor from our recently fired EX-coaching staff was he was a bad route runner and too slow. Carr wouldn't hesitate to throw the ball to him though if he thought he had any kind of a window. That showed alot of confidence in him from our QB, IMHO.

I truly hope you DON'T get Armstrong as I think with our new an improved coaching staff he will get some serious gametime this season on our team.

http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zone/messageboards/showthread.php?t=20498

infantrycak said:
The Texans signed Armstrong after a couple years in the CFL--on the Grizzlies I think. From a fan up there he was described as making steady and impressive progress and having very good hands but not burner speed. That is pretty much what we saw. Excellent hands, fast enough but not a burner--needs to work his routes although IMO did have some sense of finding holes and didn't need a whole lot of room if the QB trusted him to make the catch. When needed he put in some very big games but our now departed coaches seemed to reward good play by benching players. Won't be a star but can be a solid contributer with some really huge plays.

aj. said:
....all he does is catch the ball when he can shed coverage. Getting free of a pressing DB at the line is his greatest challenge. He's a great leaper and has flypaper hands. Average speed. Think in terms of a slightly larger version of Jabar Gaffney in terms of game.

Thank you Sey! Good stuff. Reading through those posts on the Texans boards... it sounds like the guy has great hands. :) Seriously, know nothing about the guy, but sounds pretty intriguing. We don't have to have burner-speed at that position, but clutch grabs that you can count on would be nice.

Never heard of him either, but love the "sticky hands" post. On the other hand - yeah, I liked what I saw of Hymes too.

Where is Hart Lee Dykes when you need him?

PFnV

When "we" signed David Patten...he wasn't considered very good at all. He didn't turn out too bad.

You just can't tell what kind of guy he is with David Carr & the Houston OL. They are so bad that they could make TO look bad. Honestly, Andre Johnson is an awesome WR, but does so poorly bcs of the team. It certainly wouldnt hurt to bring this guy in and let him compete in camp.

93...great idea...and interesting information...with Moulds and Johnson I obviously think a guy like him would wish to go and not be buried...but we will see if the FO thinks it is a good idea. I like it..but..at this point, getting some bodies is better than none..maybe NOT that desperate...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back