Welcome to PatsFans.com

Since when...???

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by mcgraw_wv, Oct 2, 2008.

1. mcgraw_wv

mcgraw_wv Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Since when has it been so heroic and show so much character to KEEP your child even if it is born with Down Syndrome? Have I missed an entire trend of parents killing their kids, or giving them up if they are born with Down Syndrome?

Every time Faux News touts how amazing Palin is for deciding to keep her child with Down Syndrome, I think ... ITS NOT THAT HARD OF A DECISION!!

Is that something seriously amazing a person to do?
  2. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +737 / 2 / -3

#75 Jersey

Personally, I don't think it's anybody's business but the Palin family's.

If any media outlet wants to gain ratings points for having that discussion...........
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2008
  3. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

tonight is the night...

"Tonight is YOUR NIGHT, bro!!"

(quick, what movie?)
  4. mcgraw_wv

mcgraw_wv Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I agree as well...

But just when did deciding to keep your child be such an amazing thing? Familes all over America make the hard choice to keep their kid that is afflicted with Down Syndrome, and many other disabilities...
  5. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

I don't know the statistics but I think that it would be naive to think that the number of aborted downs children have gone up proportionately to detection improvements. Choosing life, though kind of automatic for me, is still a choice as far as I'm concerned but I I'm not about to make light of the difficult decision and personal sacrafice of that choice. It shouldn't be that hard of a decission but it's becoming increasingly more difficult. Pro-choice is rapidly becoming pro-abortion. Just go back and read throught the gazillion threads on abortions and you'll see the argument shift from a woman's right to choose to the only logical sollution for these pregancies is to get an abortion.
  6. Lifer

Lifer Banned

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0

In many cases the tests are wrong. My boss and his wife were told that their baby had Down Syndrome and they encouraged them "to make the best decision".
    They decided this was the child that God had chosen for them and they were going to have it.
    The baby turned out fine. Ive heard of this more than once.

A couple i know "made the decision" to terminate the pregnancy. They've both been haunted by it ever since. They both work with Down Syndrome children.

While im obviously no Sarah Palin fan, in this case, I do admire that they not only kept the child but they refer to the joy they have received rather than imply any burden.

No, it shouldnt be a big deal that they did this, but the sad truth is too many children with disabilities are seen as burdens or mistakes and are cast aside at the first evidence from the "infallible" technology.
  7. mcgraw_wv

mcgraw_wv Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Lifer,
    Although your story is touching, I am willing to bet my yearly salary that the majority of babies "diagnosed" with a livable disability ( nothing that kills the child ) is born as normal...

The default is to have the child. It is not Heroic or special that they decided to have and keep one of their children no matter the issues it is born with.

Let's not even add in the millions of children born with Autism ( I know, not detectable early )
  8. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

It reminds me of Chris Rock's "Niggas v. black people,"

9. Lifer

Lifer Banned

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0

I think we are on the same page here as far as what the default should be.

But rather than being negative and complaining about the praise the Palins are getting, i prefer being positive toward them on this issue as the default in this society is to get rid of the "problem".

on that note, im done talking about this issue, there is more than enough to hammer Palin on, i dont feel this is one of them
  10. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Chris Rock needs to be in somones cabinet....his take on things, although satire, usually are correct. He could add a much needed perspective in the white house.
  11. Lifer

Lifer Banned

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0

did anyone see the classic episode of "The Office" when Steve Carrell's character triggered a diversity training because he did that routine at work?
  12. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

I've posted this in the past....but incase you haven't heard Chris Rock on liberals and conservatives:

"The whole country's got a fukced up mentality. We all got a gang mentality. Republicans are fukcing idiots. Democrats are fukcing idiots. Conservatives are idiots and liberals are idiots.

Anyone who makes up their mind before they hear the issue is a fukcing fool. Everybody, nah, nah, nah, everybody is so busy wanting to be down with a gang! I'm a conservative! I'm a liberal! I'm a conservative! It's bull$h!t!

Be a fukcing person. Listen. Let it swirl around your head. Then form your opinion.

No normal decent person is one thing. OK!?! I got some $h!t I'm conservative about, I got some $h!t I'm liberal about.

Crime - I'm conservative. Prostitution - I'm liberal."
  13. Lifer

Lifer Banned

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0

14. Run DMC

Run DMC Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

#24 Jersey

Batchelor party?
  15. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +262 / 9 / -26

What I do not understand is how will this woman have time for a special needs child who is about 6 months old, and the demands of this job.. i.e. if there is another terrorist attack and they put her in a safe place as they did for Cheney.. that will be tough for a mom with young children.. particularly a special needs child. How do you do this job and do all that is needed for this child???
  16. MrSparkle

MrSparkle Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

17. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Boy have things been turned around. Womans lib since the late 60's has been the pride of the liberal movement. Now a conservative woman with many accomplishments arrives on the scene and it's "get back in the kitchen Sarah! "

What a man can't raise kids? Not even with the support of his parents, in-laws and his other kids? I guess that shoots the heII out of gay men adopting children. Clay Aiken give that child to a woman. I guess all these human rights achieved over the past 50 years have to take a back seat when conservatives are involved. Everything is turning upside down. :confused:
  18. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +429 / 5 / -2

Archie, how you been man? ;)
  19. Real World

Ratings:
    +429 / 5 / -2

I prefer, go make me some bacon and eggs....aaghaghagahagha... :D
  20. Real World