PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Since when you are Patriots fans ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember BU field, my cousin was attending at the time.

1962, my junior year football banquete, Nick B. was our guest speaker.

Quite a thrill for us HS football players to meet a REAL pro football player.

Going on 44yrs of ups and downs with the Boston-New England Patriots.

~S~ to all Pats fans, young and old. :)

Hmmmm....actually, I have been lurking this board for awhile now. Can't really say how long I have been a "fan". Been plenty of times I have cursed/swore/yelled/fumed/*****ed...etc, the Patriots owners/players/coaches at some time or another.I would wager I have seen more games then I have had bean suppah and brown bread. Present exchanges around the family tree at Christmas is always heavily laden with Patriots garb and such-as has been for several decades now. Even attended the parade for the team in Portland.

Always considered myself a fan, but reading some posts here in the time I have been a quiet visitor it seems some don't think "fan's" ever question anything regarding the team. Can't say I agree with that sentiment-although I have also noticed that non-conformity and lack of agreeance with some regulars tends to be asking for being ostracized, or even worse you get tagged with being a buddy of NEMS.

Heh, thats okay. Down here mid-coast way in Maine we like it that way. 'Course I ain't out Maine right now, so I ain't really sure posting while out of town makes me a legitimate source of Yankee opinion....even the laptop keyboard feels pretty foreign.

What was the question again? Oh yeah....

How long a fan? Hmm, guess I would have to say it goes with the stateline. You're born into it and with grace you get to die within it's perimeter. It's as natural as PB and fluff, boiled dinner, or red skinned hotdogs. As sure as it's always gonna Nor'easter sometime in the year, blackbear will always come to camp for a box of dunkins donuts, and LL Bean will never have a lock on it's door.

When you have never known anything other than being a "fan".....how can you tell when you were not?

RayClay said:
Cookie Gilchrist was awesome. He'd be famous if he played in the NFL.

Of course Jim Nance had him beat for at least one season. And Larry Garron predated him.

Very early sports memories. Saw Williams bat, Jim Brown run and Cousy throw the ball straight up in the air.

Also remember complaining "why do we have to watch the Giants on tv?"

Wonder when the Pats first hit the TV?
I'm pretty sure it was in 1960, the inaugural year.

Very early sports memories. Saw Williams bat, Jim Brown run and Cousy throw the ball straight up in the air.

OT, I saw Williams hit 3 homeruns at Fenway in a doubleheader. At the Garden, saw Chamberlain and Sam Jones get into it. Wilt chased Sam all around, ended up at the Celtics bench and Sam grabbed a 3 legged stool to defend himself. Everyone laughed at that point, even the players.

GJAJ15 said:
I started as a Browns fan in the days of Jim Brown, not sure when I switched to the Pats, but lost interest in Football for a while, but I think it was after the first superbowl....

I was too. Growing up in Maine we didn't get much news of the Boston Patriots and I hated the Giants with a passion. Jim Brown, Lou Groza, Milt Plumb all my favorites.

Didn't pay much attention to Prop Football until I got back from overseas when I was in the army. The first SB that I ever saw was the Jets. Picked up being a Patriots fan in 1970.

BTW, I also attend the 1971 Raiders game. Jim Plunkett and Randy, the Rabbit, Vataha. Also went to the Miami game in December and they beat the Fins.

Fanfrom1960 said:
I'm pretty sure it was in 1960, the inaugural year.

OT, I saw Williams hit 3 homeruns at Fenway in a doubleheader. At the Garden, saw Chamberlain and Sam Jones get into it. Wilt chased Sam all around, ended up at the Celtics bench and Sam grabbed a 3 legged stool to defend himself. Everyone laughed at that point, even the players.

My grandfather called "POP" and my Dad, called "Papa Joe" brought me to those epic Celtic Championship playoff runs when I was little...what memories!!! My dad had to hoist me up on his shoulders so I could see!! I remember the games you mentioned, little Sam Jones going after Wilt (or wsa it KC Jones??) - I was also lucky enough to attend the game where Russell blew it by hitting the guide wire which secured the baskets as he inbounded the ball, possesion lost. All looked bleak and Chamberlain was celebrating until of course, some guy named Hondo stole the ball and the rest was legend, great stuff.

But through it all - the Patriots were and remain my passion. Here we are in March and I cannot get enough of this stuff...amazing.

fgssand said:
My grandfather called "POP" and my Dad, called "Papa Joe" brought me to those epic Celtic Championship playoff runs when I was little...what memories!!! My dad had to hoist me up on his shoulders so I could see!! I remember the games you mentioned, little Sam Jones going after Wilt (or wsa it KC Jones??) - I was also lucky enough to attend the game where Russell blew it by hitting the guide wire which secured the baskets as he inbounded the ball, possesion lost. All looked bleak and Chamberlain was celebrating until of course, some guy named Hondo stole the ball and the rest was legend, great stuff.

But through it all - the Patriots were and remain my passion. Here we are in March and I cannot get enough of this stuff...amazing.
Pretty sure it was Sam, in a Sunday game at the Garden to which my Godfather's son drove us down from New Hampshire.

What a great game to witness, "Havlicek stole the ball, Johhny Havlicek stole the ball, it's all over...!" I can hear Johnny Most now.

Well,Here's my story.I grew up as a kid watching the Steelers,as That was my dad and brothers team.Originally I am from Baltimore,But i CANNOT stand the Ravens.So,Having grown up around football I already enjoyed the game.But,Here's the thing.As Ive gotten older,I have become a HUGE History geek.I am totally enthralled in the Revolutionary War/Colonial America Times.I took a visit to Boston back in 91' and fell in love.Not only with the city,but the history,the culture,people.ALl of that.So I became Hooked onto the "Patriots".The Meaning of the word is so deep and exciting."one who loves his or her country and supports its authority and interests".So why not? Take the love of my country,throw in some smashmouth football..and By God,Here I am.Cheers to all of you and God Bless!

About '66

I was born in '62, and moved south to VA in '68... but I remember playing in the front yard, and in the living room, back in Burlington, MA... yelling "I'm Gino Capaletti!" like every other kid.

By the time I moved, my loyalties were set for life: Pats, Sox, Bruins, Celtics. And though I don't follow hockey or basketball, the Pats and Sox have finally come through for me of late.

And now what do I have to do when I wear my Brady jersey? Defend myself from the bandwagon-jumper charge! (Though to be fair, I did shred my Eason jersey by hand in 1986... but I'm sure I'm not the only one.)

I became a Patriots fan right at their start in 1960. I remember

running down Commonwealth Avenue with my uncle so as not to miss the

kickoff in their inaugural game.

" Always considered myself a fan, but reading some posts here in the time I have been a quiet visitor it seems some don't think "fan's" ever question anything regarding the team. "

Just wanted to post a thought on this part of your post. I am many things, but most of all, I have to say that I am a non conformist. I have enjoyed finding this board, and reading how long some of us have been "fans". Makes me feel like a newbie in some aspects telling you guys Ive been here since '85.
I have to say in that time, I have questioned many moved the team has made. I think putting in the time some of have with the Pats gives us the right to question some of the moves. I hated seeing Willie go. I did. I thought he was one that should have retired a Patriot. I have to say, though... I believe in BB and what he has brought to the franchise. Its hard to bet against a guy that has 3 superbowl rings.
I think being a fan is alot like a marriage. For better or worse. The last few years have been great.
Years ago I had season ticket on direct TV. Bledsoe was still with the team and it was more than time for a change. Every Sunday was an event. I would watch every minute of the Pats game, and I think they lost all but 2 games that I was able to see. Didnt catch them all. My father in law, every Sunday, would remind me.. " Every game is on... Not just the Patriots. " Man... he just didn't get it. I see people out and about during the season in their brand new Pats gear and I have to smile. One of my most prized possessions is a Patriots shirt my wife bought me when we first got married 6 years ago. Its beaten up and faded... and I'm happy to wear it out. I question alot about the club. Haven't agreed with some of the decisions, but its a marriage. Til death do us part..

Last edited:
Fanfrom1960 said:
Have you converted any friends in Italy to be Patriots fans?

as far as i know we are approx 5-6.

i'm one of the 'leaders'.

infortunately i live in a 'soccer' country as surely you know

gomezcat said:
We liked the colours, the name and Pat Patriot.

this is exactly also why i choose the Patriots.

fgssand said:
I can tell you I wsa 9 years old in the mid 60's when that awesome team was battling with Cookie Gilchrist and he Bills.

I can tell you I have seen the Pats play their home games at BU Field, Harvard Stadium, BC Alumni Field, Fenway Park, Schaeffer/Sullivan/Foxboro Stadium and Gillette Stadium. I have seen away games at Orange Bowl, Shea Stadium, Pro player Stadium, Giant Stadium and Rich/Ralph Wilson Stadium. I have seen Superbowls in New Orleans twice), Houston & Jacksonville.

Been a season ticket holder consecutively since 1971 and still going strong at the old age of 52....I figure I am good for at least 25 more years.

I can tell you one more thing - the Patriot run is far from over - 2006 will be another awesome year for this team.

after the first replies on this thread i read again yesterday evening a big part of 'Tales from the Patriots sideline' (M.Felger).

Bob Gladieux, The man in the trench coat (who was ???), the BS Patriots, Clive Rush, Upton Bell, the Spirit of 1976, Ben Dreith, the Sullivans...

BEAUTIFUL BOOK.

Why you, Pats Fans since day 1, you, together, do not write one book ?
With Yr histories, facts...It could be beautiful in my opinion.

Last edited:
italianpatthepatriot said:
as far as i know we are approx 5-6.

i'm one of the 'leaders'.

infortunately i live in a 'soccer' country as surely you know

I'm sure you know, the 1960's Pats were full of great Italian players.

Parilli, Cappeletti, Tony Romeo TE and Nick Buoniconti and the great Mike Taliaferro (LOL). Oh well, they can't all be great.

RayClay said:
I'm sure you know, the 1960's Pats were full of great Italian players.

Parilli, Cappeletti, Tony Romeo TE and Nick Buoniconti and the great Mike Taliaferro (LOL). Oh well, they can't all be great.

These years too i think. Bruschi, Andruzzi, Vinatieri, Izzo, Scarnecchia, Pioli.

I think it is pretty cool how so many of you became Patriots fans. My dad is a huge Pats fan so I was born one. So 1985 for me.

Only in 1989 when I moved to Boston for College. Before then I was a 49er fan because my dad went to ND and Joe Montana became my default favorite QB! When you move to Boston though, it's so easy to fall in love with all Boston sports. It's such a soap opera! Even after leaving New England in 1995, I still follow the Boston teams. I actually used to work with Bob Lobel's wife for a little while.

Since Birth

I'm 43, and have always loved the Pats. Family had season tickets in the 70's. Scituate boy. Steve Grogan is my all time favorite player. Classy. Tough. Talented.

My best story is that when Grogan played for the Pats, during one offseason, I went goose hunting with Grogan, RB Andy Johnson, and DB **** Conn. Stayed at my uncle's cottage on the Cape. Talk about great guys, and a great childhood memory.

I was twice on a chairlift at Sugarloaf Mountain with GM Pat Sullivan. Also, couldn't be nicer.

Met Ray Clayborn with his family on the streets of New Orleans during the Superbowl in '86.

Best game that I saw in person was the '85 AFC Championship game against the Dolphins. Organge Bowl was so loud you could not hear the person next to you.

Alot of great Patriot memories over the years.

I was born in '70 but didn't really pay much attention to football until '77. I rooted for them because they were my local team. My father was a Giants fan, but he's antique and was a fan from the pre-Pats days (once I started following NE, he took interest in them and has followed them ever since). Sure NY was closer, but CT was in N.E. so that's who I followed, for better or worse. Sounds simplistic, but hey, I was 7. All of my friends were Giants, Cowboys or 49ers fans. I think that's where I developed my disdain for band wagon fans. I used to get so much crap from these guys for being a Pats fan, and I was like "But you live here, you should be a Pats fan. Are you moving to Dallas?"

Im 19 years old

My father has always been a pats fan, we have a poster of the 1986 super bowl in our basement. I think the defining moment I became a pats fan is memories of sunday afternoons of curtis martin playing in foxboro. I loved that guy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back