Not open for further replies.
Zuma said:
I was 3 when I went to my first game:

Date - September 19, 1971
Teams - Oakland Raiders @ New England Patriots
Location - Schaefer Stadium
Score - 20-6 Patriots
Jim Plunkett was the qb then

Since 1960, when I was 11. I remember my Dad getting excited over the prospect of Boston getting a pro football team.

I met Grogan in like '75 or so, I was 6 IIRC. It was at the ice skateing ring at Daly field in Brighton. His was my first autograph.

italianpatthepatriot said:
so, pats60, you was a fan from day 1 like NEM i think.

there are others from day 1 ? From the Boston Patriots times ?

The New England Patriots born only on 1971.

Compliments anyway !
Day 1 also. Would have been earlier than 1960 if they'd existed before that. Before the Patriots came to be, the Cleveland Browns were the first team to be televised in New England because they were the best team in the late 40s and early 50s. Then, the New York Giants were televised because they were the closest, I guess. Not sure why the Giants weren't televised early on also. I was a Browns fan before the Pats existed, never a Giants fan.

Have you converted any friends in Italy to be Patriots fans?

I'm making rigatoni with sausage and meatballs today for dinner. :)

My father is from Boston and had season tickets starting in the mid-60's, though he had gone to most of the games before that with my grandfather. When I was born, I took over the tickets from my grandfather (mid-80s), which we held until Gillette Stadium was built (got moved from perfect 50 seats to corner seats and the price rose). I was basically the only Patriots fan in Giants country (upstate NY) growing up.

I remember the Millen/Hodson/Wilson era, though the only vivid recollection I have was Jon Vaughn returning a kickoff or punt for a TD.

I remember the 20-6 Raiders/ Pats game. I had a cousin visiting from England. He was confused about when everyone stopped to talk after the paly, he figured that unlike rugby players they must not be in shape.

Great game cause the Raiders were a power and the Pats were awful, but not on that day!

Fanfrom1960 said:
Day 1 also. Would have been earlier than 1960 if they'd existed before that. Before the Patriots came to be, the Cleveland Browns were the first team to be televised in New England because they were the best team in the late 40s and early 50s. Then, the New York Giants were televised because they were the closest, I guess. Not sure why the Giants weren't televised early on also. I was a Browns fan before the Pats existed, never a Giants fan.

Have you converted any friends in Italy to be Patriots fans?

I'm making rigatoni with sausage and meatballs today for dinner. :)

In Ri in the late 50's & 60's we got the Giants every week. My dad was a big Giants fan. He sorta followed the Pats bacame a fan after the Jets won SB 3 & established parity between the 2 leagues. He's in his mid 80's now, I told him he had to hang around till at least the end of Brady's career. He was like a little kid when they won the SB over St Louis.

I started as a Browns fan in the days of Jim Brown, not sure when I switched to the Pats, but lost interest in Football for a while, but I think it was after the first superbowl....

first I can recall is when Jim Plunkett was slinging the ball...as I was born in '67, that is pretty well back from when I was a kid and collecting baseball and football cards...been a long strange trip...

As with many UK Pats fans, I go back to 1986. Many go back a couple of years before. The NFL had recently been introduced to our TV and I was curious. My next door neighbour and best friend had a Pats jersey (bought from somewhere in Boston, IIRC). We liked the colours, the name and Pat Patriot.
The first Patrrots game I saw was the highlights of the NE-Rams game of that season. Tony Eason threw a Hail Mary to Irving Fryar to win it. I loved the drama and it confirmed my choice of team.

Larry Garron Babe Parilli

Houston Antwine Larry Eisenhauer Jim Lee Hunt and Bob Dee, (four man DLines were the rage and we had a good one.)

You tell me. :confused: :D

Last edited:
RayClay said:
Larry Garron Babe Parilli

Houston Antwine Larry Eisenhauer Jim Lee Hunt and Bob Dee, (four man DLines were the rage and we had a good one.)

You tell me. :confused: :D

I can tell you I wsa 9 years old in the mid 60's when that awesome team was battling with Cookie Gilchrist and he Bills.

I can tell you I have seen the Pats play their home games at BU Field, Harvard Stadium, BC Alumni Field, Fenway Park, Schaeffer/Sullivan/Foxboro Stadium and Gillette Stadium. I have seen away games at Orange Bowl, Shea Stadium, Pro player Stadium, Giant Stadium and Rich/Ralph Wilson Stadium. I have seen Superbowls in New Orleans twice), Houston & Jacksonville.

Been a season ticket holder consecutively since 1971 and still going strong at the old age of 52....I figure I am good for at least 25 more years.

I can tell you one more thing - the Patriot run is far from over - 2006 will be another awesome year for this team.

I didnt really get passionate about the NFL until I was in my teens which was in the mid 80's. I think the '85 run really solidified things for me as a Pats fan and I havent looked back since. Of course since that 85 run, things got a lot worse before they got better so it always kills me when fans of other teams automatically assume I jumped on the bandwagon when Parcells came aboard or whatever.

I always tell them "2 words; Rod Rust"

fgssand said:
I can tell you I wsa 9 years old in the mid 60's when that awesome team was battling with Cookie Gilchrist and he Bills.

I can tell you I have seen the Pats play their home games at BU Field, Harvard Stadium, BC Alumni Field, Fenway Park, Schaeffer/Sullivan/Foxboro Stadium and Gillette Stadium. I have seen away games at Orange Bowl, Shea Stadium, Pro player Stadium, Giant Stadium and Rich/Ralph Wilson Stadium. I have seen Superbowls in New Orleans twice), Houston & Jacksonville.

Been a season ticket holder consecutively since 1971 and still going strong at the old age of 52....I figure I am good for at least 25 more years.

I can tell you one more thing - the Patriot run is far from over - 2006 will be another awesome year for this team.

Cookie Gilchrist was awesome. He'd be famous if he played in the NFL.

Of course Jim Nance had him beat for at least one season. And Larry Garron predated him.

Very early sports memories. Saw Williams bat, Jim Brown run and Cousy throw the ball straight up in the air.

Also remember complaining "why do we have to watch the Giants on tv?"

Wonder when the Pats first hit the TV?

Woah. I feel young. Really young. I started paying attention to football in 2005, since there is no football in Malaysia where I was born, I really didn't know much about football... I picked the Patriots mainly because of the name, and the fact that it was the current champ. Of course, I could've easily changed to a different team but over the last few months I've learned a great deal about football and the Patriots and witness a lot of good things on this team... so in the end, I am glad I have chosen New England Patriots, and, God willing, continue to be a New England Patriots for a long time.

Great thread, I've been a Patriots for life my father was a big sports fan and loved the Pats. I was always happy that he lived to see them win the SB although a year before the Sox won was kind of sad. He was buried with a Sox and Patriots cap.

edgecy said:
Woah. I feel young. Really young. I started paying attention to football in 2005, since there is no football in Malaysia where I was born, I really didn't know much about football... I picked the Patriots mainly because of the name, and the fact that it was the current champ. Of course, I could've easily changed to a different team but over the last few months I've learned a great deal about football and the Patriots and witness a lot of good things on this team... so in the end, I am glad I have chosen New England Patriots, and, God willing, continue to be a New England Patriots for a long time.

It wasn't always this easy to be a Pats fan.

The early years had a lot of tragedy, but more comedy. :D

Yeah, from what I've gathered in the forum, this is the golden era, glad I got on the bus in time :)

I'm 56 years old and lived most of my life in Fairhaven, Mass. I became an NFL fan watching the NY Giants on a Providence TV station every Sunday until in 1960 YOUR New England Patriots were born when I was 11. Have been a Patriots fan ever since.

edgecy said:
Yeah, from what I've gathered in the forum, this is the golden era, glad I got on the bus in time :)

Golden era is a great way to put it. Brady and BB ushered in a new era for the Pats. The past few years has been a great ride. Ive been with the Pats since 85, and just from 85, there have been some seasons Id rather forget. Enjoy the times we are in. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back