PatriotsInGA

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I was wondering, do ya'll prefer the newer flying elvis logo:
elvis.jpg
or the older Pat the Patriot logo:
pat.jpg

old school,brother

My favorite uniforms are the 1980's away uniforms because I loved the white tops/red jersey look.

My favorite logo is the Flying Elvis because it is associated with a winning tradition. Pat Patriot was a good guy but he oversaw Victor Kiam, Millen punching Sullivan, the great Foxboro Flush, Lisa Olsen, 1-15/2-14, Darryl Stingley and the Ben Dreith phantom roughing the passer call in 1976.

Take a guess.

i think you know my answer

no game

Last edited:
Boston Herald (MA)
March 4, 1993
Author: JOE FITZGERALD

In his tricornered hat and three-point stance he has been their logo, their symbol, their one constant identity through a roller-coaster history that began with the founding of the late, lamented AFL and has now evolved into - trumpets, please - the Bill Parcells Era.
The challenge confronting the Patriots is not living down their past; it's living up to what they've promised for the future. Indeed, the suggestion - implied or inferred - that their past amounts to little more than skeletons in the family closet is not only inaccurate, it's unfair and insensitive as well, indirectly impugning scores of good people who wore that logo with grace and dignity, if not always with distinction.

John Hannah, the only Hall of Famer the franchise ever produced, made a point of saluting those unheralded troops the night before he flew to his final game, the '86 Super Bowl in New Orleans.

"I'm thinking of a lot of guys who played here and never got this chance," Hannah said emotionally. "A guy like Tommy Neville (offensive tackle, 1965-77), for example. I hate to mention names because I don't want to leave anyone out. I'm talking about guys who, wherever they are today, are probably looking at us and feeling happy for us, yet wishing deep down that this could have happened in their time instead. And I'm wishing they could have had it, too, because so many of them deserved to be where we are now. They worked hard enough for it - I mean really paid the price - but it just wasn't meant to be.

Tommy Neville wore that now-endangered little bugger on his helmet, nobly. So did Julius Adams and Jim Nance and Babe Parilli and Darryl Stingley. So did a lot of people too numerous to mention, all of whom Hannah correctly remembered as winners, records notwithstanding.

Take Houston Antwine, the massive tackle who in partnership with Bob Dee, Larry Eisenhauer and Jim Lee Hunt formed the most celebrated front four in AFL history. Those were the fat years, the mid-'60s under Mike Holovak, years of records like 10-3-1 (1964) and 8-4-2 (1966), including the year (1963) the Pats walloped Buffalo, 26-8, in a snowstorm to win the Eastern Division championship.

Antwine, a Louisiana native, attracted no college attention. He was a walk-on at Southern Illinois. The pros never wooed him either. But the Patriots did make an intriguing offer. They'd fly him to their camp in 1961 at their expense. If he made the team, fine. If he didn't, he'd pay his own fare home. Antwine jumped at the chance and ended up playing a decade with that foolish little bugger on his helmet, bowing out with the dreadful teams of the Clive Rush era.

i think you know my answer

no game

Hey Pat. Remember you prodded me to find this...

The No Chad Election. It took place sometime in the early 1980s. Michael Chamberlain, one of team owner Bill Sullivan's sons-in-law, thought the team needed a new logo, that old Pat Patriot, designed by cartoonist Phil Bissell in 1960, was out of style. Chamberlain spent more of $30,000 of the team's money on a design firm that came up with a new logo.

Thinking the new was better than the old, Chamberlain decided on an election. During halftime of a game, blown-up shots of Pat Patriot and the new logo were driven down the middle of the field, and the fans, exhorted by the public address announcer, were to cheer for their favorite. Pat Patriot got a standing ovation. The new logo got booed out of the ballpark. And $30,000 meant a lot to the Sullivans in those days.

lol

Sons of Sam Horn [Powered by Invision Power Board]

thanks Ray Clay: good reminder

Personally, I find the Flying Elvis to be an abomination. It may be the real reason the terrorists hate us.

Pat Patriot went from being a symbol of what the AFL was doing as a whole to one that represented futility and how NOT to be a football team.

Elvis may not have the long tradition but it's seen them through two moving scares and becoming one of the best teams in the league and a model franchise for all.

It's gotta be Elvis.

The flying Elvis. I honestly think it's one of the best logos in the history of sports.

Sorry IPTP, but I'm with Elvis too.

Some great players played with Pat on their helmets, but, when all's said and done, the change marked the transition of the Pats from a hope-to-win-but-don't-expect-to franchise to one that has legitimate expectations every season. I'll take the change.

I like the Elvis logo, with a switch up in season to the throwbacks. Maybe the next logo will be a hybrid of the two!

This board has away been split down the middle on witch one is the best. I like them both but the child in me will aways prefer the old Pat logo.

Pat Patriot. That's what I grew up with. To me, it would be a GREAT redemption and honoring of that 30+ year period (before it was cool to be a Patsfan) if the organization can win a SB with that uniform and logo - - kind of like Susan Lucci getting that Emmy after losing 15 straight times or Charlie Brown actually kicking the ball before Lucy yanks it away.

Win One For Pat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pat Patriot looks like he's trying to poop out another football.

Elvis for me.

I would be down with Pat, if they could gussy up the rest of the uni. Helmets cool, battlestar galactica stipes on the shoulder, not so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes