Welcome to PatsFans.com

Since 2000 oil has increased 74% in Euros but 237% in US dollars

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by weswelker#83, Apr 24, 2008.

1. weswelker#83

weswelker#83 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

http://www.chycho.com/?q=node/1685

how did we really end up here in 8 years?
  2. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +278 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

It has nothing to do with the price of oil, you're just picking a time when the dollar has pretty much bottomed out. Just like it is today (last time I looked) it is moving up and over the years will regain value. Why not compare the price of chinese import toys ? And haven't we already discussed the falling dollar ad nauseum ?

Note - if you want to talk about oil, it's awesome how the price of oil has gone down since Nancy and the boys got control of Congress :rolleyes:
  3. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +287 / 4 / -2

Nice way to cherry pick the trading date of the Euro. I know since I've exchanged and used them since their inception. The Euro traded low when it first came out, and never looked back Wes. It immediately rose against the dollar. Ask Italians how much they like the Euro. It's single handedly destroyed that country. The Euro was the biggest mistake Italy's made in some time.
  4. weswelker#83

weswelker#83 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Well, this is what we get when the de-facto Central Bank starts inflating the money-supply (increasing the amount of fiat money in existence) rapidly... of course the US Fiat Dollar is going to be debased and each unit of currency lose most of its 'worth'
  5. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +278 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

Just relax. Jeez. Things go up, things go down. The dollar will go back up. It was a few weeks ago people laughed at me for saying the stock market would go back up and it's made up about 60% of it's loss already. Calm down.
  6. STFarmy

STFarmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

The answer to me is clear:

War with Europe!
  7. jack

jack Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

[​IMG]
  8. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Screw the Euro!
    WTF is that, anyhowz?
    Foreign fuggaz!

Can't take anyone seriously who drives this:

[​IMG]
  9. Real World

Ratings:
    +287 / 4 / -2

A loaf of bread in my dad's town of 800 occupants costs a little over $5 Euro's ($8.40). A 1.5 Liter Coke or Pepsi will run you $1.89 Euro ($3.24). A liter (3.7 is a gallon) of gas will cost $1.50 Euro, or $5.55 Euro a gallon ($8.88 US). A pair of Nike sneakers are $150 Euro. A Brooks Brother sweater, $40 in Wrenthem, is $140 Euro in Italy. I went to buy an Italian national team T-shirt for my brother this past summer, $75 Euro. A T-shirt mind you. In 1999, the last year of the Lira, I rented a car for $550 for 17 days. Now, the same class car costs $1,200 for 11 days. The Euro has destroyed Italy. It's worse when you see people making $900 Euro a month salary after taxes. GROSS!!!
  10. STFarmy

STFarmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

RW,
    Interesting context here. I thought people had a pretty favorable opinion of the Euro, I had no idea it was so bad for ITaly. I was in Ireland around 2000, and I remember some small protests but that's it.
  11. Real World

Ratings:
    +287 / 4 / -2

Italians absolutely hate it. It's destroyed their lives. Italy, since the Euro, has had the highest inflation rate in western Europe, with the slowest growth. As someone who's been to Italy 30+ times, and almost every year since childhood, I can tell you how expensive life their has become. I'm not sure how some people survive there. Close to $9 for a gallon of gas, and $8+ for a loaf of bread. It's really, really bad over there. Especially in Southern Italy where I'm from. Remember, Italy is dependent on Tourism as a big chunk of it's economy. With the Lira, the exchange rate was favorable, and tourists were attracted. Now, with the Euro at $1.60, everything costing more money there, & a round trip ticket costing $1,500, fewer people go. Italy would have been better off staying away from the Euro. Europe, in an effort to become a competitor to the US, sold it's citizens down the drain.
  12. STFarmy

STFarmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Sad. Any idea how other countries like it? Was it good for most countries? Anybody know?
  13. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

The Irish like it...a lot. Although they are going through the same real estate bubble burst that we are.

My friends and kin in Iceland don't use it, though. They kept the Krona.
  14. weswelker#83

weswelker#83 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

When you are an american tourist and have dollars , of course you will get hurt in your wallet, if you go to italy or everywhere in Europe.

Because you own dollars ...DUH !

When you are paid in Euros , you feel no pain , my friend. But because of what we (the feds with fiat money) did to the dollars , you and me will get massacred once we go to europe for shopping .lol .

Here is some infos :

http://howtoitaly.typepad.com/howtoitaly/2007/10/some-cost-compa.html

in Germany

A kilo of bananas would cost 1€ approx
    A loaf of bread: 49 cents - €2
    Litre of milk - 49 cents

It depends where you shop and what kind of product it is - own brand or well known make.
    Most people tend to shop in Aldi and Lidl where prices tend to be much lower than elsewhere.
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2008
  15. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +20 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

Lets hope its bottomed out.
  16. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Petro-euro, anyone?

Remember the "petro-dollar?
  17. MrBigglesWorth

MrBigglesWorth Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

how do people survive? i thought the lira was weak in 99. wouldn';t the conversion make sense?
  18. Real World

Ratings:
    +287 / 4 / -2

The Krona is a beast IIRC. I mean, it's worth some good coin via the exchange rate.
  19. Real World

Ratings:
    +287 / 4 / -2

The Lira was always weak in comparrison to the dollar. The best rate, or worst depending on your perspective, was a low of 1,400 lira, to a high of 2200 lira. When the Euro came into play, the EU set exchange rates for each Euro using nation. Italians had to pay a fraction under 2,000 lira for a Euro. The result was massive inflation. What I once paid mille lira, or 1,000 lira for (50 cents), like a can of coke at the bar, is now $1.10+ Euro. When you do the math it comes out to about 2,200 lira. Everything has skyrocketed, while salaries and pensions have not. I'm from the south, which tends to be poorer, or lower earning than the more industrial north. Think NY/Boston, compared to our south here. At any rate, they survive by living with extended family. Grandma's, aunts, married kids, etc. all live in the same home. They don't vacation at all. They don't buy new cloths. They never drive anywhere. No cable TV, XBOX, PS3, DSL, etc. They sit by the bar, smoke cigs, play cards, and talk about all the things they know nothing about.
  20. MrBigglesWorth

MrBigglesWorth Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

so it's pretty much a real life chat room?