PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Simms to NFL Network panel: Patriots the team to beat

Status
Not open for further replies.

groundgame

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
This evening on the NFL network, Rich Eisen and Steve Mariucci interviewed lead CBS analyst Phil Simms (for an overlook on the CBS telecasts on the newly unveiled '06 schedule) on his outlook for the ultra-competitive AFC race in 2006. Eisen started out by asking if the Steelers were the team to beat and will they repeat. Simms said the Steelers were a very good team who were the beneficiaries of the playoff pieces falling exactly their way, and predicted they would not defend. Simms' favorite for 2005 were the Denver Broncos. He thinks Indy will be near the top in 2006, but reserved top billing to New England for the upcoming season, due to their hungry group of hard core veterans like Mike Vrabel that will carry them to the top.

Last edited:
Phil Simms was a great quarterback and looks like he is a pretty good analyst too! lol

Last edited:
Sims always likes the Pats, enjoy his analysis on WEEI, he knows the game and articulates his views well. I think his previous knowledge of BB, helps him understand the philosophy of this team and the its capabilities.

Last edited:
chowder said:
Phil Simms was a great quarterback and looks like he is a pretty good analyst too! lol

What are you talking about? Just bcs you agree with him makes him good? There have been several threads on this very board saying how bad he actually is when calling a game. He was even rated in the basement by major news networks.

i like him and i agree with him too...

groundgame said:
This evening on the NFL network, Rich Eisen and Steve Mariucci interviewed lead CBS analyst Phil Simms (for an overlook on the CBS telecasts on the newly unveiled '06 schedule) on his outlook for the ultra-competitive AFC race in 2006. Eisen started out by asking if the Steelers were the team to beat and will they repeat. Simms said the Steelers were a very good team who were the beneficiaries of the playoff pieces falling exactly their way, and predicted they would not defend. Simms' favorite for 2005 were the Denver Broncos. He thinks Indy will be near the top in 2006, but reserved top billing to New England for the upcoming season, due to their hungry group of hard core veterans like Mike Vrabel that will carry them to the top.

I caught that interview too. One of Simms funniest lines was in regards to TO and Parcells. He said that after playing for BP for 8yrs he felt that BP was very good at working with all kinds of players "WHEN HE WANTS TO". And that the media would be examining the smallest details and exchanges between TO and BP all season, "working it to death" I think were his exact words!:rolleyes:

Digger44 said:
What are you talking about? Just bcs you agree with him makes him good? There have been several threads on this very board saying how bad he actually is when calling a game. He was even rated in the basement by major news networks.

Duhhhhhh. You win the "Clueless Post of the Month" award!

Didn't you see the "lol" at the end of his post? It's obvious he was being tongue-in-cheek. If I were in a nastier mood I would say that kind of sarcasm usually flies over low foreheads. However, I am in a kind and merciful mood this morning, so I shall pat you on the head, wish you well and remind you to eat a lunch today. :)

Last edited:
GJAJ15 said:
Sims always likes the Pats, enjoy his analysis on WEEI, he knows the game and articulates his views well. I think his previous knowledge of BB, helps him understand the philosophy of this team and the its capabilities.

I think it's Boomer Esiason on WEEI. Phil Sims was the Giants QB when BB was the DC. They're pretty tight so it's no surprise Simms would pick the Pats. Did he also pick the Bucs?

Last edited:
Gee Big Phil I am proud he has finally let go of his arrogant NY attitude.

Digger44 said:

He is not great, but everybody else is worse.

Name me an NFL crew or analyst that isn't a disgrace.

For various reasons, I was forced to listen to opposing radio feeds for many Pats games.

Without exception, every radio announcing team was better than any TV team.

RayClay said:

For various reasons, I was forced to listen to opposing radio feeds for many Pats games.

Ok shmessy, i didnt see the lol, but this guy is the real deal.

RayClay said:

Actually, there was a Fox crew that did one of the Pats games last year that was EXCELLENT. I forget which crew it was exactly, but I was amazed at how well they did. And, no, it wasn't FOX's top crew.

In fact, I remember that Dr. Z did a reasonable evaluation of the TV crews last year, though I didn't agree with everything he said, I agreed with some of his evaluations.

Digger44 said:

I think Simms is decent. He lets his personal biases come through a little too much (in the Pats case, it is his love of Bill Belichick)..

My favorites are Ron Jaworski, Sean Salisbury and Suzy Kolber.

Digger44 said:
I like Phil Simms a lot as an announcer. Him and Troy Aikman are each great color commentators, and expose Madden for the buffoon he is. But my favorite Simms moment came in the Snow Bowl versus Oakland where he says something like "Hey what are you... OOMPH..!!" Apparently a fan hit him square on with a snowball. :)

Digger...I concur. Simms has to be one of the worst announcers out there. This has been noted several times in the past on this board. It's surprising to me to see him come out with a comment like this. I'm wondering if some of the posters are confusing him with Boomer, who has been on EEI many times and is always complimentary of the Pats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes