PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Simmons Rips Manning/Dungy

Status
Not open for further replies.

FSUPatsFan

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
I don't know how everyone here feels about Bill Simmons, but I personally like him. He doesn't take himself too seriously, makes me laugh, and is a Pats fan. He just wrote another article about this last playoff weekend. Throughout the article he rips manning, dungy, polian, and the colts. At one point he questions the national media for not ever saying anything bad about Manning. He implys that Manning is as good as a teammate as T.O. and that not even A-Rod would say "I'm trying to be a good teammate here". He even gives out the "Peyton Manning Award for Worst Playoff Performance" to Peyton Manning. He was fair and said Tom Brady was a close second, but still had to give it to Manning. It was a good read.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/060118

FSUPatsFan said:
He even gives out the "Peyton Manning Award for Worst Playoff Performance" to Peyton Manning. He was fair and said Tom Brady was a close second, but still had to give it to Manning. It was a good read.
:rofl: Now, that's a classic.

I was so looking forward to seeing Tedy "signing" Peyton's melon

my favorite part

On the officiating:
"but we're reaching the point where they need to run a disclaimer before every game:

"We'd like to apologize in advance for the horrible officiating. We swear, these games aren't fixed, it just looks that way. We're just too cheap to make officiating a real priority or hire anyone who's under 40 years old and might still have his reflexes and eyesight. Even instant replay isn't helping -- it just makes these guys look three times more incompetent when they're overruling calls that never should have been made in the first place. These guys are boobs. We're sorry. Anyway, enjoy the game!"

Quote from artilce: "My third point: As Las Vegas reader Kyle tells us, "I was at the Pats-Broncos game, sitting in Section 111, Row 7. That Bailey interception return came right at me. Let me tell you, that was a freaking touchback. But, there wasn't a ref or cameraman within 20 yards of the play. Even the Broncos fans knew it was a touchback and were screaming for Shanahan to get the play off. Also, Ben Watson levelled Champ. Champ was on the ground for the entire review time.""

Really interesting.

He shares my dispair to the T:

"The Champ Kind Award for Most Anguished Reaction in the Face of Suddenly Losing Someone You Loved
To me and every other Patriots fan -- we've been walking around like zombies for four days and counting. It's one thing to lose the championship belts; it's another thing to give them away in the most uncharacteristic way possible. Hey, we want to seem like good losers -- after all, the Belichick-Brady teams won more than a few games in which they outplayed a more talented team simply by sticking together and not screwing up, and we always bristled whenever the fans from a vanquished opponent played the whole "we gave that gave away, we were better than you" card. At the same time, that was a Hall of Fame "No F-ing Way Game," between the killer turnovers and the consistently ludicrous officiating (did Jeff Triplett bury Ed Hochuli in a shallow grave or something?), only none of us could hit the reset button and start the game over. Unbelievable. I still can't get over it. One of the toughest Boston losses ever. Grace period, schmace period.

(Did the Broncos do a terrific job of banging bodies, punishing Brady, avoiding turnovers and taking advantage of mistakes? Absolutely. They were a better football team on Saturday night. But I will go to my grave wondering what would have happened if Kevin Faulking Faulk didn't fumble with 1:54 remaining in the first half. All season long, this Broncos team was fearing a situation in which Plummer had to make plays in the second half to win a game for them. The Pats were one more quarter away from making that happen. And they blew it. Aaaaaaargh. I can't talk about it anymore.) "

I would imagine most Pats/Sox fans love Bill Simmons; other teams' fans, however..... not so much.

STFarmy said:
I would imagine most Pats/Sox fans love Bill Simmons; other teams' fans, however..... not so much.
I do, he's really funny and creative! I'm sure you're right in his bias, but he seems to have the pulse on what a lot of sports fans think regardless of the teams!

STFarmy said:

I like his columns, he's funny as hell.

FSUPatsFan said:
I don't know how everyone here feels about Bill Simmons, but I personally like him. He doesn't take himself too seriously, makes me laugh, and is a Pats fan. He just wrote another article about this last playoff weekend. Throughout the article he rips manning, dungy, polian, and the colts. At one point he questions the national media for not ever saying anything bad about Manning. He implys that Manning is as good as a teammate as T.O. and that not even A-Rod would say "I'm trying to be a good teammate here". He even gives out the "Peyton Manning Award for Worst Playoff Performance" to Peyton Manning. He was fair and said Tom Brady was a close second, but still had to give it to Manning. It was a good read.

You must have had to hurry. You left out the part where he whined like BB on the PI call.

What a resilient team the Patriots are. Unable to overcome a pass interference penalty with 34 minutes left. Wow, all those injuries must have sapped their strength.

Tony Collins said:
You must have had to hurry. You left out the part where he whined like BB on the PI call.

What a resilient team the Patriots are. Unable to overcome a pass interference penalty with 34 minutes left. Wow, all those injuries must have sapped their strength.

BB is learning from Polian that when it comes to officiating the squeeky wheel gets oiled. Don't equate calling attention to lousy officiating with throwing your teamates under the bus.

So what was the most powerful offense in the league's excuse this time for being unable to overcome a little blitzing at home with three quarters of a game left in which the Referee was turning the NFL upside down to give them every opportunity? Oh wait, I know, you were stuck with the most accurate idiot kicker in the league with a game on the line.....and your Oline suddenly sucked and your coaches didn't make adjustments and your new and supposedly improved defense let you down.....it's always everybody's fault in Indy but the guy making the big bucks.

Gotcha. :rolleyes:

Tony Collins said:

That was the fan side of Simmons. You must admit he was fair to the Patriots and said they played poorly. He almost gave the "Peyton Manning Award for Worst Playoff Performance" to Tom Brady. You don't have to be bitter that the Colts weren't able to overcome 2 quick touchdowns by the Steelers even though they have the greatest offense in the world and were given every opportunity by the refs.

FSUPatsFan said:
That was the fan side of Simmons. You must admit he was fair to the Patriots and said they played poorly. He almost gave the "Peyton Manning Award for Worst Playoff Performance" to Tom Brady. You don't have to be bitter that the Colts weren't able to overcome 2 quick touchdowns by the Steelers even though they have the greatest offense in the world and were given every opportunity by the refs.

Not bitter at all baby. Amused that both teams disappointed badly, but Patriot fans think their loss was somehow better.

Tony Collins said:
Not bitter at all baby. Amused that both teams disappointed badly, but Patriot fans think their loss was somehow better.

Can you quote where someone has actually said this, from what I can tell most Pats fans acknowledge this was a horrible loss, just as bad as the Colts.

dante828 said:
Can you quote where someone has actually said this, from what I can tell most Pats fans acknowledge this was a horrible loss, just as bad as the Colts.

Ours was a horrible loss alright even on the road without a bye. Between inept execution and inept officiating it was a total disaster which in hindsight cost us a home field AFCC game few thought was more than a pipe dream.

But losing as the #1 seed facing the #6 seed and blowing the one thing that the Colts FO, QB, and fans claimed had been derailing their eventual championship destiny......home field advantage throughout......well you be the judge. I'd say one was disappointing while the other was inexcusible...and for that reason as those MC commercials say - priceless. ;)

MoLewisrocks said:
Ours was a horrible loss alright even on the road without a bye. Between inept execution and inept officiating it was a total disaster which in hindsight cost us a home field AFCC game few thought was more than a pipe dream.

But losing as the #1 seed facing the #6 seed and blowing the one thing that the Colts FO, QB, and fans claimed had been derailing their eventual championship destiny......home field advantage throughout......well you be the judge. I'd say one was disappointing while the other was inexcusible...and for that reason as those MC commercials say - priceless. ;)

Almost as fun as watching the Patriots implode. Watching St. Thomas stomp around yelling at the officials. Willie and Larry imitating Dancing with the Stars tango on the sideline. It had a sort of Patrick Ewing from the corner over Robert Parish 1990 quality to it. You know, a sort of end of the road type characteristic, and thanks Troy and Adam here's your watch.

Tony Collins said:
Almost as fun as watching the Patriots implode. Watching St. Thomas stomp around yelling at the officials. Willie and Larry imitating Dancing with the Stars tango on the sideline. It had a sort of Patrick Ewing from the corner over Robert Parish 1990 quality to it. You know, a sort of end of the road type characteristic, and thanks Troy and Adam here's your watch.

The fact you keep slaming the Patriots is commical. Its like you are in an alternate universe where Manning has a 10-1 playoff record and the Colts have won 3 superbowls. In this universe the Colts are 3-6 with Manning at quarterback and repeatedly fail in the playoffs. Just face it, this was their year and they failed! Home field, referees on their side, a "great" defense...
AND THEY FAILED!

FSUPatsFan said:

Simmons is funny as heck. LOL. And he is right, about everything!

Go steelers!

One positive outcome: The Tony Dungy "I can't believe my QB just hung me out to dry on national TV" Face. Eerily reminiscent of the scene in "Scarface" when coke dealer Frank Lopez (Robert Loggia's character) shows up at the Miami nightclub, sees Tony Montana with his arm around his girlfriend (Michelle Pfeiffer's character), makes the requisite "Get your hands off my girl" comment, and not only does Tony refuse to budge, he stares him down and fires back with something along the lines of, "Hey, maybe she needs a new man, Frank." And poor Lopez just stands there for four or five seconds with the castrated deer-in-the-headlights look, debating his options before skulking away. That was Tony Dungy in the Pittsburgh game. Not good.
That was some funny shtuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back