Welcome to PatsFans.com

Simeon Rice vs. Dwight Freeney

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by JJDChE, Nov 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JJDChE

JJDChE Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I'm actually a little worried about Rice being better than Freeney.

Freeney has been totally ineffective as a pass rusher the last two seasons and we know his run defense is weak. Rice, in his prime was a better DE than Freeney.

If Rice has sufficiently recovered from his injury and he clicks being back in Dungy's defense, I think he could be as good or better than Freeney.

Rice has probably hit the wall, but I'm not positive yet. He had 14 sacks as recently as 2005. 2006 was injury plagued and apparently this year he's had problems getting in sync with Denver's defense. It'll probably end up as a downgrade, but Rice is the more talented player, so I'm going to keep an eye on it.
  2. patsox23

patsox23 Rookie

Ratings:
    +17 / 1 / -0

Dwight Freeney is an all-pro defensive end. Simeon Rice is a has-been who has washed out with two teams in the last year and is now on his third.
  3. cstjohn17

cstjohn17 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +43 / 11 / -4

#54 Jersey

Maybe you should have said 'No' to that last beer...
  4. bruinator

bruinator Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

lol...too funny.
  5. fair catch fryar

fair catch fryar Rookie

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0

No Jersey Selected

**Reminder**He was released by the same defense that gave up 40+ points to John Kitna and the mighty, mighty Lions!!
  6. Boston Boxer

Boston Boxer U.S. Air Force Retired PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +51 / 4 / -1

#75 Jersey

this is the dumbest post i have ever read...you NEVER say no to another beer LOL
  7. Ed Hillel

Ed Hillel Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

As far as the Pats are concerned, I'd much rather face Rice than Freeney. Freeney is exactly the type of end that gives the Pats' OTs trouble. I can't see Rice taking over a game agaist the Pats.
  8. spacecrime

spacecrime Rookie

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

I'm worried that the Colts will pick up Donald Hayes and Rod Rutledge to replace Marvin Harrison and Dallas Clark.
  9. Slagathor

Slagathor Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

#22 Jersey

Freeney was a special player on that end. That speed and quickness are unmatched in the league.

That entire D-Line gets pressure overall soley because of Freeney and Mathis.

Their DT's are useless.

Rice does not scare me at all.

HUGE blow to there defense.
  10. patsfaninpa

patsfaninpa Rookie

Ratings:
    +51 / 8 / -3

You put Marion Butts in that backfield in short-yardage situations. Just order them their rings!!
  11. JJDChE

JJDChE Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Well, I guess people don't agree with me, but I still say Rice was a better DE than Freeney ever was.

Freeney's only had 9 sacks in his last 25+ games. Rice has actually had more than that in his last 25 games, and he's coming off a pretty serious injury.

It's been a long time since Freeney has taken over a game against anyone, if he ever has. Making a sack in a key situation can be a game changing play, but doesn't constitute taking over a game. Bob Sanders dictates games more than Freeney ever did.
  12. Nordy

Nordy Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The key word here is "was"
  13. JJDChE

JJDChE Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

"Was" meaning, immediately before he got injured, he was better than Freeney is right now.
  14. Nordy

Nordy Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

No. Was meaning Rice was better than Freeney before Rice was washed up. How can you seriously believe Rice is better than Freeney at this moment? Rice has been cut by two teams this year.
  15. ALP

ALP Rookie

Ratings:
    +46 / 2 / -0

dont buy into all the media hype...

freeney has been amazing the last two seasons, even if he hasnt had the amazing sack numbers....

thats why he got the deal he got....

its also why he has double teams almost every play....

rice is nowhere near
  16. BionicPatriot

BionicPatriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

So what does was have to do with the here and now? Look man, It's pretty obvious Rice is done. To get done from the desperate Bronco DL situation? That says a lot about him. It's not like Indy was hot after him, they got him the second Freeney was out. You'll see, he is not close to the speed Freeney is at end at this point. It's definantly an easier matchup for us.
  17. JJDChE

JJDChE Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Like I said in the first post, it's likely he's done, but IF he comes back to 2005 form, he's a pretty good asset.
  18. Terry Glenn is a cowgirl

Terry Glenn is a cowgirl Banned

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I always wondered if Queeny took a spinning class all throughout school...:D
  19. DisgruntledTunaFan

DisgruntledTunaFan Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

You know the saying-you're only as good as your backups(i.e. Jarvis Green filling in for Seymour).

Sure-Rice may not be the player he once was, but he HAS played in that Tampa 2 scheme for years(The reason why he probably didn't do well in Denver was b/c they play a man-man scheme, far different from Cover 2).

This is '06 Booger McFarland all over again. They have an easy schedule from here on out, and it won't surprise me if they win out their remaining games to get the #2 seed.
  20. DisgruntledTunaFan

DisgruntledTunaFan Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Agreed-not only does he get ALOT of respect from opposing OC's, but he also gives that D alot of intangibles(i.e. leadership).

Sometimes, the stat sheets are very misleading. IMHO though, I think Rice will be a good fill-in, and should win out their remaining easy schedule.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.