PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Silver:Tom Brady was Tim Tebow long before Tebow mania swallowed the NFL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great Article!

It's funny how majority of people on here insist that Tebow is not on Brady's level, and in certain areas, he's not. You cannot compare a 2nd year QB to an veteran. Who cares about the stats? really?
Sorry guys it doesn't work like that.

"We have the worst defense in the NFL!"

"The media doesn't know what its talking about, we may give up yards but not points"

"We have the best WR in the NFL!"

"Brady has no weapons except for Gronkowski"

"Welker is the best slot WR not a #1 WR"

So which is it?

Tebow has done what his team drafted him to do, win football games. Who cares how he's doing it. Flacco and Sanchez were dealt great defenses coming into this league, both of which whom have beaten this team. Are they considered on Bradys level? Not at all. Have they been playoff contenders? Sure.

"Stats are for losers, final scores are for winners"
I'm sure we all know who said that.

Last edited:
Prob the best article Silver has written this season

Last edited:
Great Article!

It's funny how majority of people on here insist that Tebow is not on Brady's level, and in certain areas, he's not. You cannot compare a 2nd year QB to an veteran. Who cares about the stats? really?
Sorry guys it doesn't work like that.

"We have the worst defense in the NFL!"

"The media doesn't know what its talking about, we may give up yards but not points"

"We have the best WR in the NFL!"

"Brady has no weapons except for Gronkowski"

"Welker is the best slot WR not a #1 WR"

So which is it?

Tebow has done what his team drafted him to do, win football games. Who cares how he's doing it. Flacco and Sanchez were dealt great defenses coming into this league, both of which whom have beaten this team. Are they considered on Bradys level? Not at all. Have they been playoff contenders? Sure.

This is way too simplistic of an approach. No one here is using stats to make a case against Tebow. Use your eyes, do you think it's possible to in consistently in the NFL with that kind of quarterback play? John Skelton is 5-1 as a starter and has 4 comebacks in 4 comeback opportunities, and I don't see anybody saying he is anything more than a mediocre player, and with good reason. I guess we should be devoting half an hour on Sportscenter every single day to him too.

Point is, this sort of thing happens pretty much every season in the league. Hell, the much maligned Kyle Orton had a "I don't care how he does it, the kid just wins" label attached to him at some point too. So did Vince Young. None of those guys have proven to be able to play QB at an NFL level for an extended period. Tebow won those games, there is no question about that (with some hefty help from his frineds, though). Is he a 'leader' that'll continue to complete 45% of his throws, and put up on average 20 points on the board and still ride the intangible aspects of his game en route to winning consistently in the NFL? Highly unlikely.

Tim Tebow is 2011's Michael Vick. Every year there is a feel good or redemption story.

There's some analogies to draw, but when it comes to comparing two football players and their style of play, Tebow and Brady couldn't be more different.

Brady's the tall, strong pocket passer

Tebow is a FB playing QB

Brady was a skinny second string college player who worked hard his first year on the bench and put on some muscle

Tebow was a Heisman winner and BCS National Champion

While Brady wasn't truly developed as a QB even in the Super Bowl year he was on his way to becoming a complete QB

Tebow is certainly lacking in certain football skills - and we know he can overcome those shortcomings with what he brings for a string of games - but long term can he expect that to result in a Hall of Fame career like Brady?

I'll give the guy credit for what he's accomplished thus far - but I can't help but feel teams will adjust to his style of play and be able to better control him long term.

One thing they do have in common is I think they both surprised opponents who were not prepared to deal with their skills during their inaugural season as starters - but beyond that I might not draw too many more comparisons.

Did you read the piece? Silver doesn't measure them side by side in terms of their physical stye of play. Yeesh, your observations are accurate but have little to do with the nature of Silver's comparison.

Did you read the piece? Silver doesn't measure them side by side in terms of their physical stye of play. Yeesh, your observations are accurate but have little to do with the nature of Silver's comparison.

Yeah is right. Damned if anyone can tell what point silver is trying to make... Is it about how connected to God each is publicly or privately? How they compare in resolve to win?

Comparing Brady the vet to Tebow the first year starter? Or Brady the first year starter to Tebow the first year starter even Tebow had tons more experience on a big stage than Brady did?

The headline doesn't jibe with the article which itself fails to make a conclusive point.

But if there's meant to be an analogy between the two if any point you can't avoid the major differences in their football pedigree and skill sets.

Yeah, the OP's thread title misses the mark by a mile and I almost didn't bother reading Silver's piece as a result. And that would have been a shame since it indeed was one of his best in a long while. Brady was never Tebow and and the only vague similarity between them is Tebow is winning games late. How each managed to do that and why they were able to and the reason why teamates embraced them could barely be less similar. Tebow is a phenomenon, and those come and go. Brady was a work in progress and he has progressed and endured. He's phenominal... I can see why coaches and players outside of Denver (and frankly some inside...) favor one over the other. One credits hard work and teamates and coaches and their belief and reliance on each other for his and his teams success. The other credits God's hand on him and his belief in God for everyone's success... Who you gonna blame when it all goes wrong...God?? Can just see Fox at the podium stating we've all got to believe better, players, coaches, so God will bless us with another win...teams in Monday, filmwork in the chapel. :bricks:

Yeah, the OP's thread title misses the mark by a mile

Yeah, you are correct on the OP's title. I'm glad someone bumped this back to the limelight. Good read.

Yeah, you are correct on the OP's title. I'm glad someone bumped this back to the limelight. Good read.

I just copied the Title from the actually heading on Yahoo sports nfl home page. Didnt make anything up. You can check it here even now - http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl

Last edited:
Yeah, the OP's thread title misses the mark by a mile and I almost didn't bother reading Silver's piece as a result. And that would have been a shame since it indeed was one of his best in a long while. Brady was never Tebow and and the only vague similarity between them is Tebow is winning games late. How each managed to do that and why they were able to and the reason why teamates embraced them could barely be less similar. Tebow is a phenomenon, and those come and go. Brady was a work in progress and he has progressed and endured. He's phenominal... I can see why coaches and players outside of Denver (and frankly some inside...) favor one over the other. One credits hard work and teamates and coaches and their belief and reliance on each other for his and his teams success. The other credits God's hand on him and his belief in God for everyone's success... Who you gonna blame when it all goes wrong...God?? Can just see Fox at the podium stating we've all got to believe better, players, coaches, so God will bless us with another win...teams in Monday, filmwork in the chapel. :bricks:

Nice fiction there Mo. Now back to reality.
Lots of similarities between Brady and Tebow. Both faced many who doubted their abilities as young NFL players. In you will recall Brady was a dink and dunk artist who many felt did not posses enough arm strength to be a legit deep thrower in the NFL. In the early years Brady's completion % was good because he threw so many short balls. Imagine if Tim Tebow had Charlie Weis as his O coordinator?? Wow!! In the Bears game Tebow attempted 16 passes through 3 qtrs. This is the pattern with the Broncos. They run for 3 qtrs, put Tebow in a postion where he's throwing on 3rd down all the time (D's love this) and then when they fall behind in the 4th qtr they take the training wheels off and let the kid play......with GREAT results.
Brady and Tebow are both clutch. Their best comes out when it's all on the line.
Tim Tebow, who has had success and won at every level of football in his life is a "phenomenon"?? Laughable!
Brady and Tebow are both very humble. Aways giving credit to everyone around them. That's why their teammates love them.
Brady and Tebow are both incredibly hard workers. It's been the secret to both their successful lives. That's why their teammates love them.
Do Brady and Tebow have the same style?? No.
Does Brady have the same style as Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees ?? No.
Just as Tebow is different stylistically from Brady, Tom is different from Rodgers, etc.
It's all about taking care of the ball and winning games when you are an NFL QB.
As I've said before. I implore ALL Patriots fans (including you Mo) to go back and watch Brady in the early years. He was JAG who worked hard over many seasons and made himself a great NFL QB.
Give Tim Tebow time. He'll do the same.

So which is it?

Lousy analogy.

When the Ravens and Jets win, nobody says "Sanchez (or Flacco) "is the savior of the franchise". Do you actually equate the media mania that has accompanied Tebow this year to that of Sanchez or Flacco???????

What is said is that their defense bailed out a plodding offense - - or --- their running game grounded and pounded the opposition.

No one says "Sanchez (or Flacco) won the game and that's why he was brought in".

The only real difference why Tebow isn't seen as another Sanchez/Flacco is the marketing.

Last edited:
Lousy analogy.

When the Ravens and Jets win, nobody says "Sanchez (or Flacco) "is the savior of the franchise". Do you actually equate the media mania that has accompanied Tebow this year to that of Sanchez or Flacco???????

What is said is that their defense bailed out a plodding offense - - or --- their running game grounded and pounded the opposition.

No one says "Sanchez (or Flacco) won the game and that's why he was brought in".

UMMM, YES they did.

mARK sanchise and joey flacco were media circus was big up until they both lost in the playoffs. Tebow mania is only big because he keeps proving all his critics wrong week after week.

Tebow wasn't given a chance to succeed by the media, while flacco and sancgez were suppose to be "the next tom brady"

Nice fiction there Mo. Now back to reality.
Lots of similarities between Brady and Tebow. Both faced many who doubted their abilities as young NFL players. In you will recall Brady was a dink and dunk artist who many felt did not posses enough arm strength to be a legit deep thrower in the NFL. In the early years Brady's completion % was good because he threw so many short balls. Imagine if Tim Tebow had Charlie Weis as his O coordinator?? Wow!! In the Bears game Tebow attempted 16 passes through 3 qtrs. This is the pattern with the Broncos. They run for 3 qtrs, put Tebow in a postion where he's throwing on 3rd down all the time (D's love this) and then when they fall behind in the 4th qtr they take the training wheels off and let the kid play......with GREAT results.
Brady and Tebow are both clutch. Their best comes out when it's all on the line.
Tim Tebow, who has had success and won at every level of football in his life is a "phenomenon"?? Laughable!
Brady and Tebow are both very humble. Aways giving credit to everyone around them. That's why their teammates love them.
Brady and Tebow are both incredibly hard workers. It's been the secret to both their successful lives. That's why their teammates love them.
Do Brady and Tebow have the same style?? No.
Does Brady have the same style as Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees ?? No.
Just as Tebow is different stylistically from Brady, Tom is different from Rodgers, etc.
It's all about taking care of the ball and winning games when you are an NFL QB.
As I've said before. I implore ALL Patriots fans (including you Mo) to go back and watch Brady in the early years. He was JAG who worked hard over many seasons and made himself a great NFL QB.
Give Tim Tebow time. He'll do the same.

I watched Brady in the early years. Apparently you didn't or you did so with your customary blinders on. He was never a JAG. With the exception of contract implications, Brady beat out Bledsoe and passed everyone else on the depth chart heading into TC and pre season in 2001. He's a conventional pocket passer who could always make all the throws and his fastidious mechanics and inate poise insure he makes them accurately. Tebow is an option QB and basically a novelty act who as is often the case has taken this league by storm mid season but who won't last long into next season unless he can become something more than an emotional leader and seat of the pants improv performer. He's this year's flavor of the month like Vince Young who also just won...or that Vick guy. DC's will figure him out just like they did the Wildcat. It's all about winning consistently in the NFL, and the sidelines are littered with guys who flashed momentarily only to fail in the long run to be able to do that.

UMMM, YES they did.

mARK sanchise and joey flacco were media circus was big up until they both lost in the playoffs. Tebow mania is only big because he keeps proving all his critics wrong week after week.

Tebow wasn't given a chance to succeed by the media, while flacco and sancgez were suppose to be "the next tom brady"

Equating the national and cultural circus that is Tebowmania with any "media circus" that Flacco or Sanchez has ever had is either delusional and uninformed.

Tebow and Jesus are winning these games all by themsleves. No one ever said that about Flacco/Sanchez.

Last edited:
Equating the national and cultural circus that is Tebowmania with any "media circus" that Flacco or Sanchez has ever had is either delusional and uninformed.

Tebow and Jesus are winning these games all by themsleves. No one ever said that about Flacco/Sanchez.

That's because of how bad the broncos were with an average qb like orton. Tebow is the reason the broncos is winning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes