PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Silver on the Pats @ CNNSI -- who's the source?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Silver used to cover San Francisco, lives in the Bay Area and went to Cal --> which happens to be the school of Tully Banta-Cain, recently signed by the 49ers.

As a longtime fan of Holmes and Watson, I believe you've received their nod of approval. :eat3:

Well done!

Writers like to do point counter point. It makes for interesting writing. What do you think they most always have 2 guys doing the talk shows...to create the point counterpoint. It makes it more interesting. So after McGinest stayed true to the party line, the writer merely "created" the "unnamed former Patriot" to provide the cpunter point to Willie's point. Call it literary licence. It makes for a good column and gives immediate validation to the point he is trying to make. Since he never has to divulge his "source", how are we to know.

BTW - I too am tired of having to win without having any "stars". We give the league enough of an edge with our injuries. How come no one ever gets on Denver's back for CONSTANTLY bringing in guys with questionable characters.

What the media should be focusing on is that the Pats take every kind of character, and THEN TURNS them into great character guys....even Randy Moss.

I wouldn't doubt it these days. Journalistic integrity is at an all time low.

Not that hard to find a disgruntled player either, though. McGinest and Johnson have spouted similar stuf in the past few years.

Bottom line is, who cares? The guy's motivated to play for us and he's an athletic freak. It's a calculated risk, but that's what winners do.

I'm a Moss hater, but If he wants to prove something and it's low risk for us, the rest of the league is just jealous of the highway robbery we got away with.

As a longtime fan of Holmes and Watson, I believe you've received their nod of approval. :eat3:

Well done!

Wow, wouldn't that be some sour grapes? The guy that had the job handed to him on a platter and couldn't cut it.

TBC, that is.

Last edited:
Oh no what will we do?? One former player might not like this move, for shame!

WHO CARES!!!

TBC,I forgot about him. Interesting thought.

Who gives a **** who the anonymous b1tch is.

The media hated the Pats before this offseason.

Now they still hate the Pats. They just act like they didn't before.

Screw the media.

Halfway through this article, the voice in my head (my inner voice!) says, "Why don't you tell this guy to take a couple of Midol, lay down for a couple of hours, and then come back and tell us how he's feeling?"

Just like his tawdry lack of football knowledge, this guy wouldn't know the "high moral ground" if it bit him in the ass.

I could give some thought to what this moral leper would write next February, but that would imply that I care....

Could be from this year's class, which includes Graham and Banta-Cain.

Silver used to cover San Francisco, lives in the Bay Area and went to Cal --> which happens to be the school of Tully Banta-Cain, recently signed by the 49ers.

I forgot the guys that BFan pointed out, but I totally neglected to even consider these guys.

TBC sounds like a perfect fit to me.

I'm sure nobody truly gives a **** but it's a fun excercise. I say it was Colonel Mustard.

Jeezus...a couple of these national mediots need to pop some valium or something... I don't think I've ever seen them this upset - including when TO arrived to save Philly OR Dallas.

Tell you what, the media annointed the Patriots talentless saints. All Kraft ever said was he didn't want a team full of thugs and hoodlums. We still have a ways to go before we're in a league with the turd watch top ten. What the media then spun that into, because success on a nearly epic scale couldn't after all be laid at the feet of the 199th pick of the 2000 draft seeing how he'd flown under all their radar, was a perversion of Belioli's simple teambuilding belief that if each guy just does his job the sum absolutely can outperform the value of the individual parts.

Now we have Brady dictating personnel selections like he's as deluded as Donovan McNabb and Belichick acquiessing like Andy Reid . Hmm...guess Tommy didn't really want old Deion last season after all. :rolleyes:

I hope the next time this venemous little twit shows up in Foxboro looking for a scoop from his good buddy Tommy, Tommy tells him "bite me *******."

Ask yourself, who has the most to lose (as a former player)? What former player was the upset about not getting any love from the Patriots. All the attention now is back on the Patriots while the SuperBowl Champs Kicker isn't getting any. Andruzz. just got cut, its not him. Law is not bitter about the Patriots, he's making his money. McGinnest may be back as a coach someday soon. Tully Cain is going to start for a new team. This has AV written all over it. Longshot its Chatham, but my money is on Adam.

Jeezus...a couple of these national mediots need to pop some valium or something... I don't think I've ever seen them this upset - including when TO arrived to save Philly OR Dallas.

Tell you what, the media annointed the Patriots talentless saints. All Kraft ever said was he didn't want a team full of thugs and hoodlums. We still have a ways to go before we're in a league with the turd watch top ten. What the media then spun that into, because success on a nearly epic scale couldn't after all be laid at the feet of the 199th pick of the 2000 draft seeing how he'd flown under all their radar, was a perversion of Belioli's simple teambuilding belief that if each guy just does his job the sum absolutely can outperform the value of the individual parts.

Now we have Brady dictating personnel selections like he's as deluded as Donovan McNabb and Belichick acquiessing like Andy Reid . Hmm...guess Tommy didn't really want old Deion last season after all. :rolleyes:

I hope the next time this venemous little twit shows up in Foxboro looking for a scoop from his good buddy Tommy, Tommy tells him "bite me *******."

:rofl: Great post

Most writers S$%^
They have to write something and going against the norm is good because it causes him to get noticed .
Who cares what he thinks? I think different then he does. We all have a mind and our own opinions.
My unnamed sources are telling me...............I love that expression

Lawyer Milloy was the most pissed off player ever to get cut by the Patriots. I'd say him or Andruzzi is yappin if it were true.

Re: Milloy - If you saw "NFL Film's America's Game 2001 New England Patriots" that came out last year, that would probably rule him out as a suspect.

The unnamed player sounds like he's been with other team(s) for more than one season. No way can I believe David Patten, his leave taking was one of the classiest of our alumni. Also sounds like someone who started with the pats, so that leaves out Andruzzi. With his own "bad boy" image, its hard to imagine Law talking this way. So with my coming and going hat on, pipe smoking,(drum roll please..) my guess is down to Woody or Milloy.

It's somebody articulate who uses big words.

Tebucky Jones, maybe?

Except it sounds like somebody who has two rings and now has been gone for a while. And who drank the Kool-Aid while he was here. That's not exactly Tebucky or Ty Law or Lawyer Milloy.

Patten or Givens or Branch? WRs might be particularly influenced by this news ...

EDIT: The AV theory sounds good, however.

Last edited:
Now, I concede that re-reading the article, it IS possible that all of those lines came from Willie. But if so, then Silver has written the article very oddly. I have not seen too many writers switch back and forth like that so deliberately; once McGinest was identified, why keep reminding us that he is a "fomer Patriot player"? Either it is a very oddly written piece, or Silver did it deliberately.

Actually, this kind of juxtaposition is a *very* common practice in reporting interviews. If the person being interviewed is foolish enough to say "this is off the record", that part of what they said will of course still be reported, especially if it's controversial and interesting, but will be attributed anonymously. If the anonymous source were *not* McGinest, Silver would have have clearly said so. He didn't. 90% likelihood it was McGinest saying some negative things he didn't want attributed to him.

If so, we shouldn't harshly judge McGinest. Reporters specialize in generating controversy and exaggerating stories by quoting only what's useful to their story agenda. My guess is that McGinest talked very freely in an overall balanced way, tried to protect himself by couching the negatives as off the record, but played into Silver's hands because the misleading impression that another Pats player said those bad things actually makes Silver's story look more general than it is, implying the existence of a very bitter ex-Pat who really is just Willie's alter ego...

First, don't criticize Willie. He was willing to be quoted. The anonymous comments are NOT from him.

It's either Law or Adam. Don't think for a minute that Law wouldn't take a shot at his former team if the opportunity presented itself. Remember, he's been with two teams since he left the Pats and has had plenty of time to talk with other players.

Now, I'm getting bored with these writers taking the moral high ground as if this Moss move has smashed their image about the Pats winning on brains and principle. Come on!

Just look at this phenomena as the price of a successful team. This week is the first time anyone can criticize the Pats in several years and get away with it. They're coming out of the woodwork locally and nationally. I expect we'll see more.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz . . .

First, don't criticize Willie. He was willing to be quoted. The anonymous comments are NOT from him.

He was willing to be quoted only saying positive things. You think he has only positive feelings about the team after how it let him go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes