PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Silver on the Pats @ CNNSI -- who's the source?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd say the unnamed player is Deion Branch.

The only thing that makes me question that is the testamonial he gave Stallworth which was supposedly instrumental in getting him here.Twig talked up the Pats pretty well but then again the Moss signing just pretty much silenced any show he may have planned. I don't see Big Willie saying it,that's for sure. I don't really see the kicker either because he loved going to the Colts and has a 4th ring but of the 2,I pick the kicker as the whiner because he never fit in. He said the only one he ever kept in touch with was Miller.

Last edited:
Come on, guys, read straight!
Silver TELLS US who said it all.

[after saying he was talking to McGinest at his office at 55 Entertainment]
"I'm not mad that they did this," the former Patriots player said. "I'm mad that for all these years, when everyone wrote that their values were different, they ate it up. They're no different than anyone else, and they never were. We had a run, and the rest is just propaganda.

"I bought into all that stuff about the 'Patriot Way,' and then when I went to [a new team], I was blown away by how loudly guys outside of the organization shot it down. They'd say, 'You guys don't do s--- different -- you've just got Tom Brady.' I argued with them at first, but looking back, there was no lower percentage of jackasses there than on any other team. Some of the guys they drafted, even in early rounds, were selfish and unreliable and horrible to have around."

.... Yet when people I respect as much as I do McGinest tell me they think the move was a positive one, I have to at least consider that viewpoint.

"It was odd, them trading for Randy," he conceded. "I only get it because I was there. If I'm looking at it from the outside, no, I don't get it. Since I've been there and I understand how they can convert guys like Randy, I understand it, but I can see how others wouldn't."

I hear you, Willie. And I also believe the high-ranking Patriots official who told me that if Moss makes one false move, "He'll be gone -- period." Cool. Good for them. But, in the end, I can't sign off on the notion that the conversion of Moss will be as seamless as everyone appears to believe it will.

As the former Pats player concluded, "When we were winning championships, it wasn't just that we were good -- it had to be that we were smarter, more principled and more virtuous than everybody else. And now that I've thought it through, I don't understand why. Look, they have a great owner and a brilliant coach; they evaluate players well, and they have Tom Brady. Why can't that be enough?"

Why all the guessing?
Khayos gave the answer in the second post!

My bet is it's the whiney ex-Patriot kicker
I agree here as well that it was adam, even in victory (SB39) he had to make a comment "I wish we could just win these things by more than 3 points"...sounds like his kind of sarcasm to me....Also did anyone else get p!ssed when he said that we ruined super bowl intros by coming out as a team?.... WTF? Like The Pats said ok you 31 teams, if you don't do it like us then you are all selfish egotistical snobs....umm, no, you missed the point there silver, (or tin man, is what I am going to call this Pr!ck now) the concept was to show TEAM, and not individual, the principals in what the pats stand for, just because another team come out of the tunnel together like the Pats do doesn't mean they follow it. That in there lies the mockery of what the pats do, but nobody points that out....JMO.

PD.

The irony is that the media created this image and the media is mad that the the Patriots are perceived this way.

Yes, I think this is what bothers me so much about the overwhelmingly annoying media reaction to this signing, whether its Silver, Felger, CHB, MacMullen or anyone else...they're all mad because the Patriots aren't living up to the perception they created. The Pats have always taken chances on guys, and have given people with problems second chances. The list includes:

Cox
Law
Harrison
Dillon
J. Sullivan
Gabriel

This does not include the many Patriots players who have openly mocked their opponents and their fans on the field (Branch, Hobbs, Colvin and many more). This team has never been squeaky clean, and I am perfectly alright with that. The real difference between the Pats and everyone else, is that they don't let these problems effect their play on the field.

The other thing he says that annoys me, which King says as well is this:

"Yet Moss -- and this is what bugs me -- is essentially being rewarded for having been a selfish, cowardly jerk. He just scored one of the plum jobs in football and, sources say, did so after several months' worth of being wooed on the phone by Brady, the emblem of valor and selflessness. Said one Patriots source: "Brady was sort of the dealmaker." The quarterback also restructured his contract to help make the trade possible."

So...Moss is forced to give up 13 million guaranteed, gets no signing bonus and is told explicitely that he will not be on this team long if he pulls any of his BS. Yes, that sounds like a hell of a reward to me. :rolleyes:

The only way it could have been perceived as a reward was if he got all his money, plus an extension, plus promises they won't cut him. Moss is not being rewarded by this deal, he is being punished, and if these media morons can't see that they should quit now because they have no observational or analytical skills whatsoever.

I agree here as well that it was adam, even in victory (SB39) he had to make a comment "I wish we could just win these things by more than 3 points"...sounds like his kind of sarcasm to me....Also did anyone else get p!ssed when he said that we ruined super bowl intros by coming out as a team?.... WTF? Like The Pats said ok you 31 teams, if you don't do it like us then you are all selfish egotistical snobs....umm, no, you missed the point there silver, (or tin man, is what I am going to call this Pr!ck now) the concept was to show TEAM, and not individual, the principals in what the pats stand for, just because another team come out of the tunnel together like the Pats do doesn't mean they follow it. That in there lies the mockery of what the pats do, but nobody points that out....JMO.

PD.

He had become pretty arrogant towards the end,and his 1st game back in Foxboro Sey (I think it was?) asked him to sign his SB T shirt LMAO:rofl: That may not have sat well. :singing:

"I'm not mad that they did this," the former Patriots player said. "I'm mad that for all these years, when everyone wrote that their values were different, they ate it up. They're no different than anyone else, and they never were. We had a run, and the rest is just propaganda.

"I bought into all that stuff about the 'Patriot Way,' and then when I went to [a new team], I was blown away by how loudly guys outside of the organization shot it down. They'd say, 'You guys don't do s--- different -- you've just got Tom Brady.' I argued with them at first, but looking back, there was no lower percentage of jackasses there than on any other team. Some of the guys they drafted, even in early rounds, were selfish and unreliable and horrible to have around."

.... Yet when people I respect as much as I do McGinest tell me they think the move was a positive one, I have to at least consider that viewpoint.

"It was odd, them trading for Randy," he conceded. "I only get it because I was there. If I'm looking at it from the outside, no, I don't get it. Since I've been there and I understand how they can convert guys like Randy, I understand it, but I can see how others wouldn't."

I hear you, Willie. And I also believe the high-ranking Patriots official who told me that if Moss makes one false move, "He'll be gone -- period." Cool. Good for them. But, in the end, I can't sign off on the notion that the conversion of Moss will be as seamless as everyone appears to believe it will.

As the former Pats player concluded, "When we were winning championships, it wasn't just that we were good -- it had to be that we were smarter, more principled and more virtuous than everybody else. And now that I've thought it through, I don't understand why. Look, they have a great owner and a brilliant coach; they evaluate players well, and they have Tom Brady. Why can't that be enough?"

Why all the guessing?

Ouch that was painful.:cool:

My vote goes to AV. Bitter as anyone on the way out. Just the way he 'speaks' in the article makes me think it was him.

Last edited:
My vote goes to AV. Bitter as anyone on the way out. Just the way he 'speak' in the article makes me think it was him.

I agree. He always had that fake smile. I remember when Brady told everyone to get their rest on 3 games to glory II and he just smirked with a what ever attitude.

Why all the guessing?
Sorry, but no. Willie was quoted in the article, you don't then attribute quotes from that same person as being from an unnamed player.

Last edited:

This is what some of us are questioning.

As one former Patriots player told me Tuesday, "He used Randy Moss and competitiveness in the same sentence! Could anything be more laughable? I heard that and I thought, What the f--- are you talking about?"

This is what Willie was quoted as saying

I've seen guys come in from other places and fall right in line, and the guys who didn't, they got rid of immediately," said Browns linebacker Willie McGinest, who, until his release following the 2005 season, was probably the strongest presence in the Patriots' locker room. "You can go all the way back to Terry Glenn, and then look at guys like Duane Starks and Tyrone Poole -- if you weren't with the program, you were gone. Meanwhile, people said Corey Dillon was troubled when they got him, and how many problems did he have there? The one thing he wanted in life was a ring, and he knew he had to do it their way to get it."

This is why, in McGinest's view, the Moss deal was a smart gamble for the organization. "You've got leaders on the field," he said Tuesday from the office of his L.A.-based record company, 55 Entertainment, "and that's the main thing. With Randy, people in there will be able to say to him, 'Listen -- if you want to win, you have to do X, Y and Z.' How many guys has he been around in the past who could say that to him with any authority? These are the types of players he's been losing to all these years and watching win Super Bowls, so he has to listen.

"He lost a little bit of his spunk and love for the game because of all that s--- he was going through in Oakland, but now he's on the dream team. So, if he's still got baggage and still got problems, something really ain't right."

In noway did they mention Willie in this quote.

I'm not mad that they did this," the former Patriots player said. "I'm mad that for all these years, when everyone wrote that their values were different, they ate it up. They're no different than anyone else, and they never were. We had a run, and the rest is just propaganda.

Another Willie Quote

Those are three adjectives, based on Moss's nine-year body of work (and numerous conversations with those who've been around him), that I'd use without hesitation to describe the Pats' new deep threat. Yet when people I respect as much as I do McGinest tell me they think the move was a positive one, I have to at least consider that viewpoint.

Again unless I am reading this wrong Willie had nothing but positive things to say and Silver did not reckognize the "former player" who trashed the Pats.

Last edited:

Why all the guessing?

Because we didn't READ the article?

My vote goes to AV. Bitter as anyone on the way out. Just the way he 'speaks' in the article makes me think it was him.

I'd agree.
What about Corey Dillon?

Because we didn't READ the article?

Well, I read the article, and I thought that there were two voices being quoted: one belonging to McGinest, and one belonging to a "former Patriot player". The quotes where it is clearly Willie speaking, since he is identified as such, are diplomatic; the quotes which are harsher, the speaker is referred to as a "former Patriot player".

Now, I concede that re-reading the article, it IS possible that all of those lines came from Willie. But if so, then Silver has written the article very oddly. I have not seen too many writers switch back and forth like that so deliberately; once McGinest was identified, why keep reminding us that he is a "fomer Patriot player"? Either it is a very oddly written piece, or Silver did it deliberately.

I suspect we will know soon, if Willie denies saying the stuff that the "former Patriot player" said.

Last edited:
Here is another take at what some of us are questioning: the order of speakers. The gist of what the speaker says is in brackets.

As one former Patriots player told me Tuesday… [WTF is BB talking about?]

said Browns linebacker Willie McGinest… [guys have fallen into line in NE before]

in McGinest's view… [Moss deal is smart gamble]

the former Patriots player said…. [They are no different, never were]

when I went to [a new team]… [speaker unclear; Why not say the Browns?]

when people I respect as much as I do McGinest tell me… [the Moss move is positive, and I get it]

the former Pats player concluded… [why did they say we were more virtuous?]

So again I say yes, it could all be from Willie; but why shift so much? Technically, that's confusing journalism; no editor would really want all his guys writing like that.

A cynical view would be that Willie did say it all, but didn't want the really negative-sounding stuff to be attributable to him.

I'm getting really bored by these articles.

I assume that the exact same stuff was written about us when we acquired Corey Dillon?

I'm sick of this topic this week. Think back to everything BB has said over the years (it is Kraft's team but let's be honest BB is the one who sets the course for everything). Has he ever said " we want to have a classy, no troublemaking team"? "We will draft or trade no malcontents"? The one phrase that sticks out in my mind that he HAS repeated is "we want people who want to play football". Now we can argue that Moss doesn't fit into this mold with the "he takes plays off" side versus the "he always wants to win and hates losing" side. But what does that have to do with class or the moral high ground? I'm sorry, I buy my tickets to be entertained on Sundays and watch a winning team I can enjoy. If I want morality I'll give my seats up and go to church all day on Sundays. Last time I checked the Bruschi, Brady, Vrabel, Seymour, and Harrisons of the world are still on this team. I don't judge a team by every single player but by the team as a whole. Those guys are fun and entertaining to watch and listen to. Personally I hope this topic just fades away after a few more days and doesn't resurface again, but I have the feeling that anytime Moss says one bad word it'll all be trotted out again.

Last edited:

Why all the guessing?

You aren't reading it correctly. He's supposed to be talking to Willie and another player.

Wow. So much hate and venom. WTF. Seriously WTF. I've really had enough. Why are the Pats bashed every chance the media gets?

Was there this much hate when Rodman joined the Bulls??

Writers like to do point counter point. It makes for interesting writing. What do you think they most always have 2 guys doing the talk shows...to create the point counterpoint. It makes it more interesting. So after McGinest stayed true to the party line, the writer merely "created" the "unnamed former Patriot" to provide the cpunter point to Willie's point. Call it literary licence. It makes for a good column and gives immediate validation to the point he is trying to make. Since he never has to divulge his "source", how are we to know.

BTW - I too am tired of having to win without having any "stars". We give the league enough of an edge with our injuries. How come no one ever gets on Denver's back for CONSTANTLY bringing in guys with questionable characters.

What the media should be focusing on is that the Pats take every kind of character, and THEN TURNS them into great character guys....even Randy Moss.

The source says, "When we we're winning championships..."

If taken literally, it could only be Willie, Branch, Givens, Smith or Chatham.
law, johnson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back