PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Signs of the Trade-pocalypse: Official thread for speculation on WTF is going down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Signs of the Trade-pocalypse: Official thread for speculation on WTF is going dow

Maybe. The Pats could re-signed TBC and Alexander and activate Tate and LeVoir and be back at even. But the timing of everything is just too strange.

Like I said too many moves , that are not making sense

Ad inactive

Galloway, TBC, Alexander ( who both might be resigned) matthews...

Now Tate prob will be active this week, maybe lavoir.. But there has to be something else brewing, I dont want to get hopes up, but there just to many wierd moves..

Last edited:
Re: Signs of the Trade-pocalypse: Official thread for speculation on WTF is going dow

Right, theres definitely something going on, but its not AD or Peppers. Theres too much cap issues with those.

So why does the cap hit go up when we trade AD? I thought the team taking him gets saddled with the cost? Is it because of a pro-rated bonus?

I understand that, but with the release of galloway, matthews, tbc, and alexander we did just free up over 2 million, and i believe we had 5 mil in cap room anyway.

its not impossible

No, we didn't. Releasing TBC and Alexander just created dead cap space (vet minimum deals that are on the roster in week 1 are fully guaranteed). In addition, guys will be signed to fill those slots, and they all cost against the cap. Releasing those guys and signing replacements is going to cost cap space, not open it up.

This may be the year we cite in the future when people say "Bill says there won't be any trades, though..."

No, we didn't. Releasing TBC and Alexander just created dead cap space (vet minimum deals that are on the roster in week 1 are fully guaranteed). In addition, guys will be signed to fill those slots, and they all cost against the cap. Releasing those guys and signing replacements is going to cost cap space, not open it up.

I have to assume re-signing them takes the old deals off the books. Otherwise it's pretty much ******ED to cut them and re-sign them.

I understand that, but with the release of galloway, matthews, tbc, and alexander we did just free up over 2 million, and i believe we had 5 mil in cap room anyway.

its not impossible

i know that the Pats rape other teams when trading but a packaged deal with one of your higher priced vets and a pick for peppers would work

i'm just stoking the fire though i have no sources other than the hope that poohead hurney could make something happen

Clearly I am more ignorant than you with regards to how cap space works, and I'm not disputing that, however - i do have these questions for you

1. what if the people they're being replaced with are the PUP'ers? (I believe they count against the cap already)
2. Can, as part of a trade agreement, the other team agree to pay thomas's cap hit? (this i really doubt, but as i said, im pretty ignorant of cap room - please educate me)
3. Could tbc/alexander be resigned in a way that they count for very little against the cap right now, and receive hefty bonuses this coming offseason?

edited for grammer

Last edited:

So why does the cap hit go up when we trade AD? I thought the team taking him gets saddled with the cost? Is it because of a pro-rated bonus?

Because of the 13.2M of Bonus he's still owed, half of which accelerates into this year.

His current cap hit:
1.9M salary + 4.4M bonus =6.3M cap hit

If Traded:
.7M salary (6/16 of 1.9) + 4.4M bonus + 6.6M bonus = 11.7M, which is 5.4M difference.

Miguel has $7.2M, which is probably high because some of his salary has already been paid, but I'm sure I'm missing something and my number is low. I'd guess $6.x

Like I said too many moves , that are not making sense

Ad inactive

Galloway, TBC, Alexander ( who both might be resigned) matthews...

Now Tate prob will be active this week, maybe lavoir.. But there has to be something else brewing, I dont want to get hopes up, but there just to many wierd moves..

That's probably all there is to it.

TBC, Alexander re-signed.
Tate, Levoir active.

Last edited:

1. what if the people they're being replaced with are the PUP'ers? (I believe they count against the cap already)
2. Can, as part of a trade agreement, the other team agree to pay thomas's cap hit? (this i really doubt, but as i said, im pretty ignorant of cap room - please educate me)
3. Could tbc/alexander be resigned in a way that they count for very little against the cap right now, and receive hefty bonuses this coming offseason?

1. I believe you're correct.
2. No.
3. TBC and Alexander were both on Vet Mins. There's no way to sign them for less. If they get (signing) bonuses of any sort, their cap hit (this year) goes up by atleast Bonus/number-of-years, unless they're signing deals that have roster bonuses next year (like the stallworth contract), but I doubt they resign with no signing bonus.

Because of the 13.2M of Bonus he's still owed, half of which accelerates into this year.

His current cap hit:
1.9M salary + 4.4M bonus =6.3M cap hit

If Traded:
.7M salary (6/16 of 1.9) + 4.4M bonus + 6.6M bonus = 11.7M, which is 5.4M difference.

Miguel has $7.2M, which is probably high because some of his salary has already been paid, but I'm sure I'm missing something and my number is low. I'd guess $6.x

Ok, I see. Thanks for that.

PFT is breaking down the current moves as freeing up 2.87 mil in non-pro-rated cap space. With TBC and Alexander likely coming back, it will be less, though. More extensions must be coming if anything significant is happening.

Steven Jackson or Merriman (shudder) can have their contracts reworked, so maybe those guys are off the books until a trade is done and reworked. That make sense. The Peppers thing is no-go as his deal cannot be renegotiated, as far as I know.

Last edited:

1. I believe you're correct.
2. No.
3. TBC and Alexander were both on Vet Mins. There's no way to sign them for less. If they get (signing) bonuses of any sort, their cap hit (this year) goes up by atleast Bonus/number-of-years, unless they're signing deals that have roster bonuses next year (like the stallworth contract), but I doubt they resign with no signing bonus.

Okay, so (time for some wild speculation) if they were to sign for more than the veteran minimum over the length of their contract, (like, to receive more money next year, like the stallworth contract) it would hypothetically be possible to clear caproom this year - is that right?

I realize its not LIKELY, and it requires a lot of stretching, i just want to know if its possible

Okay, so (time for some wild speculation) if they were to sign for more than the veteran minimum over the length of their contract, (like, to receive more money next year, like the stallworth contract) it would hypothetically be possible to clear caproom this year - is that right?

I realize its not LIKELY, and it requires a lot of stretching, i just want to know if its possible

This is about cleared space for the moment. These guys will be at practice tomorrow, but they may not be "with the team" at 4pm. Otherwise these were ridiculous moves.

This is about cleared space for the moment. These guys will be at practice tomorrow, but they may not be "with the team" at 4pm. Otherwise these were ridiculous moves.

right, I know they're coming back soon - that's why im curious as to know how we can restructure they're deals so that they count less against the cap this year - freeing up more cap space while bringing them back

Dont believe PFT and florio for a second. these are the same guys who speculated that moss is dogging it so he can get traded to the vikings !!
my take. nothing will happen. just the PUP guys or some unheard guy like the guy we signed from the bengals a couple of yrs back-safety will be signed.

latest rumor per weei is sending Aiken and a ham sandwich for Adrian Peterson.

latest rumor per weei is sending Aiken and a ham sandwich for Adrian Peterson.

He's a good tough vet running back for the Bears, I like it.

right, I know they're coming back soon - that's why im curious as to know how we can restructure they're deals so that they count less against the cap this year - freeing up more cap space while bringing them back

My thinking is that they will trade for someone with a cap hit they can't absorb unless they dump some guys. They then restructure the traded players contract, reducing his cap hit, and THEN re-sign these guys. Make sense?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes