PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Signs of the Trade-pocalypse: Official thread for speculation on WTF is going down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Signs of the Trade-pocalypse: Official thread for speculation on WTF is going dow

Burgess is a 4-3 OLB. In his 9 years he played for Philly and Oakland, both 4-3 defenses.

Burgess played 100% 4-3 DE in both Philly and Oakland.

Re: Signs of the Trade-pocalypse: Official thread for speculation on WTF is going dow

Nothing big will happen

I think Branch will be a Pat tomorrow. He would be the only player on the trading block who can come in at midseason and make some sort of impact. Why not a straight up Galloway for Branch trade? It may benefit both teams. The problem with Branch is his contract situation which clearly needs to be restructured. For those thinking Branch is washed up, think again, because to my surprise, his stats have shown no dropoff as touchdowns and yards per catch have been consistent to his NE days. And he's only 30, opposed to Galloway's 40. I would be ecstatic if we could pull this off. Heck throw in a 5th or 6th rounder if Galloway alone isn't gonna get it done.

Last edited:

if we're thinking about wide receivers, how about Roy Williams from Dallas? pretty disappointing season so far, but as a 3rd wideout here he could find his role

other WRs i can think of: bernard berrian (rice + harvin have emerged)
Michael Clayton
Laveranues Coles
Santana Moss
TO (don't really want that to happen)
Kevin Curtis
Mike Sims-Walker

Everyone I've talked to tonight so far seems to think the TBC release is temporary and we'll see him back in the not too distant future.

Several others seem to think a trade is unlikely. So I guess add me to the "much ado about nothing" camp. :cool:

Last edited:

Bill Belichick on WEEI's Big Show today on if Patriots would make a trade at deadline: "I'd be surprised."

I agree with the idea/thought/belief that nothing major will happen, Belichick was also asked today if there would be "player movement" and said no. Then, less than an hour later the pats cut TBC!

Just saying, NEVER take professional athletes, front office execs or HC's and et all at their word~!

I agree with the idea/thought/belief that nothing major will happen, Belichick was also asked today if there would be "player movement" and said no. Then, less than an hour later the pats cut TBC!

Just saying, NEVER take professional athletes, front office execs or HC's and et all at their word~!

Since the consensus seems to be TBC is coming back - technically he didn't lie :cool:

And then there's Tom Curran:

Via Twitter a moment ago:

"With the Patriots terminating the contract of Tully Banta-Cain (who hasn't been a slouch in my estimation) thinking a deal may be coming"

Although quite a few others don't think so - so well see.

I don't think we could ever fully understand how BB values players. I think our value standard is far off his, and as a result, we don't understand moves like these.

Unfortunately, there's nothing we can do about this. There's a reason he's coach and we're fans.

Bill Belichick on WEEI's Big Show today on if Patriots would make a trade at deadline: "I'd be surprised."

Exactly. I think if BB were considering a trade, he'd have said something vague and Belichick-like to the extent of "anything's possible...blah, blah"

or "if we think we could improve the team somehow," etc.

"we're always looking to improve the team,"---something like that.

But coming out and saying "I'd be very surprised," doesn't sound to me like anything will happen. Just like the draft when he said chances were "less than zero" that we'd trade up. Sometimes he really does just say what's for real, nothing more to it. I think people like to try and decipher every little thing he says, sometimes a bit much. Maybe TBC will be restructured, and AD just needed a fire lit underneath him?? We'll just have to wait to find out I guess. Maybe BB really did just use the LB's that he thought fit best in yesterday's game. Who knows? Maybe he felt another LB was better suited to the run game that Tennessee uses? My guess is that it probably doesn't have anything to do with trading AD, just my opinion.

I hope we do make some sort of trade, but I'd have to say I'd be pleasantly surprised, mainly due to his comments this afternoon on the matter.

Too much smoke not to be a fire somewhere.. Banta Cain came out of left field, Thomas is not perfoming, Gallaoway is gone and has been since the baltimore game..

I dont think anything will happen, and this is just something to talk about on a tue in oct...

They do need another Wr , a Rb and now a lb... So I dont know.. Im guessing there wont be nothing and will be shocked if there is something..

Exactly. I think if BB were considering a trade, he'd have said something vague and Belichick-like to the extent of "anything's possible...blah, blah"

or "if we think we could improve the team somehow," etc.

"we're always looking to improve the team,"---something like that.

But coming out and saying "I'd be very surprised," doesn't sound to me like anything will happen. Just like the draft when he said chances were "less than zero" that we'd trade up. Sometimes he really does just say what's for real, nothing more to it. I think people like to try and decipher every little thing he says, sometimes a bit much. Maybe TBC will be restructured, and AD just needed a fire lit underneath him?? We'll just have to wait to find out I guess. Maybe BB really did just use the LB's that he thought fit best in yesterday's game. Who knows? Maybe he felt another LB was better suited to the run game that Tennessee uses? My guess is that it probably doesn't have anything to do with trading AD, just my opinion.

I hope we do make some sort of trade, but I'd have to say I'd be pleasantly surprised, mainly due to his comments this afternoon on the matter.

I mean, you can make the argument either way - BB routinely talks up opposing players only to render them completely ineffective on game day (see tony gonzalez in this year's atl game). To me, if he were to say that they're always looking to improve, etc. he's saying they're looking but nobody is shopping anyone they want - saying something as blatant as "i'd be surprised" almost sounds like misdirection or bluffing to me

if we're thinking about wide receivers, how about Roy Williams from Dallas? pretty disappointing season so far, but as a 3rd wideout here he could find his role

other WRs i can think of: bernard berrian (rice + harvin have emerged)
Michael Clayton
Laveranues Coles
Santana Moss
TO (don't really want that to happen)
Kevin Curtis
Mike Sims-Walker

Curtis, Clayton and Moss (in that order) are the ones on the list that have a chance in my opinion. Jerry Jones traded a 1st and 3rd for Roy Williams last year, he's not going to admit he screwed the pooch so early on that one.

Berrian is being outproduced statistically, but he is the true stretch the field player that gives balance to the offense of a 6-0 team. Plus he's highly paid. Not going anywhere.

The Bengals are in the playoff race again. Wouldn't send a good message to trade a starting WR in the middle of it.

Owens is a guy I don't think Belichick would touch with a ten foot pole. And remember, he covered him in the Super Bowl with Troy Brown and undrafted RFA (at the time) Randall Gay. I don't think he sees him as an elite talent like fans do.

Sims-Walker is under control for years on a team that is struggling to draw fans and is back in the playoff hunt at 3-3. Highly unlikely.

I could see Curtis most likely, the Eagles have a ton of talent and have been reportedly shopping him. Moss I think is less likely because he's the best receiver the Skins have, but they are a really bad team and may decide to scrap this year. Clayton is likely available, I'm just not sure he's what they need...they would benefit more from a speedy guy who would open up the slot for Welker and Edelman and free Moss up on the outside.

Good list, sparked my interest. I would not be surprised if Curtis is brought in, he could really help them.

Last edited:

Too much smoke not to be a fire somewhere.. Banta Cain came out of left field, Thomas is not perfoming, Gallaoway is gone and has been since the baltimore game..

I dont think anything will happen, and this is just something to talk about on a tue in oct...

They do need another Wr , a Rb and now a lb... So I dont know.. Im guessing there wont be nothing and will be shocked if there is something..

I pretty much agree with this, just adding that if a trade is made, it doesn't have to involve TBC- so a trade could happen and TBC comes back. I'm thinking something with Galloway. a healthy scratch for 3 weeks now?

Correct.

Belichick actually offered Vince Wilfork to Al Davis first, but Davis declined.
Hmm...I thought it was the opposite: that Davis came asking about Wilfork and BB guided him to Seymour instead...

I forget where I read that though. Would be helpful if someone had the thread/link.

Curtis, Clayton and Moss (in that order) are the ones on the list that have a chance in my opinion. Jerry Jones traded a 1st and 3rd for Roy Williams last year, he's not going to admit he screwed the pooch so early on that one.

Berrian is being outproduced statistically, but he is the true stretch the field player that gives balance to the offense of a 6-0 team. Plus he's highly paid. Not going anywhere.

The Bengals are in the playoff race again. Wouldn't send a good message to trade a starting WR in the middle of it.

Owens is a guy I don't think Belichick would touch with a ten foot pole. And remember, he covered him in the Super Bowl with Troy Brown and undrafted RFA (at the time) Randall Gay. I don't think he sees him as an elite talent like fans do.

Sims-Walker is under control for years on a team that is struggling to draw fans and is back in the playoff hunt at 3-3. Highly unlikely.

I could see Curtis most likely, the Eagles have a ton of talent and have been reportedly shopping him. Moss I think is less likely because he's the best receiver the Skins have, but they are a really bad team and may decide to scrap this year. Clayton is likely available, I'm just not sure he's what they need...they would benefit more from a speedy guy who would open up the slot for Welker and Edelman and free Moss up on the outside.

Good list, sparked my interest. I would not be surprised if Curtis is brought in, he could really help them.

Yeah, one more guy i just thought of is Buster Davis, the Chargers WR - appears to be a giant bust but who knows maybe he just needs a change of scenery

I mean, you can make the argument either way - BB routinely talks up opposing players only to render them completely ineffective on game day (see tony gonzalez in this year's atl game). To me, if he were to say that they're always looking to improve, etc. he's saying they're looking but nobody is shopping anyone they want - saying something as blatant as "i'd be surprised" almost sounds like misdirection or bluffing to me

I agree it could be either one, obviously you are one of the people who thinks that he bluffs more often than not. I tend to think he's a lot more straight forward than most give him credit for.

Not really understanding the example of Tony Gonzalez though? He could've very well torched us, and needed to be a center of the game planning on defense. I think Brandon McGowan was the reason we shut Tony Gonzelez down---nothing else. As you have seen, he's beat up plenty of teams in the past, and is a big target for Matt Ryan.

I agree it could be either one, obviously you are one of the people who thinks that he bluffs more often than not. I tend to think he's a lot more straight forward than most give him credit for.

Not really understanding the example of Tony Gonzalez though? He could've very well torched us, and needed to be a center of the game planning on defense. I think Brandon McGowan was the reason we shut Tony Gonzelez down---nothing else. As you have seen, he's beat up plenty of teams in the past, and is a big target for Matt Ryan.

I don't really think a trade is going to happen either, I just enjoy speculating about stuff that could happen, trying to play devil's advocate here.

The tony gonzalez example was a bad one - I don't know if you ever see BB breaking down game film but generally he manages to make whatever team they're playing sound like world-beaters - a better example might be the detroit lions a couple years ago - i think I remember him was talking about how great Kitna and Mike Furrey were

- I guess just an example of how he bends reality, it's a stretch applying it to trade talk.

I think the one thing that will shock me, is if Deion Branch somehow is a Patriot again.. Do not see that happening..

I don't really think a trade is going to happen either, I just enjoy speculating about stuff that could happen, trying to play devil's advocate here.

The tony gonzalez example was a bad one - I don't know if you ever see BB breaking down game film but generally he manages to make whatever team they're playing sound like world-beaters - a better example might be the detroit lions a couple years ago - i think I remember him was talking about how great Kitna and Mike Furrey were

- I guess just an example of how he bends reality, it's a stretch applying it to trade talk.

I Gotcha, I understand what you're saying.

Guess we'll just have to wait, the TBC thing was strange, that's for sure. Maybe just a re-structure? We'll have to wait, in BB we trust;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes