PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Signs of the Trade-pocalypse: Official thread for speculation on WTF is going down

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSn

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
  • Galloway is a healthy scratch for three games. Ravens rumoured to be interested.
  • AD is a healthy scratch out of no-where. Numerous mid-pack teams are HURTING for LB's.
  • TBC and his 3-sack pass rushing rejuvenation are cut. Left field move.
  • Seau comes back sooner than expected.
  • Aiken (WR #4, STer) signs a 2-year extension (on Friday). It should be noted that this move actually INCREASES Aiken's pay this season.

Rumours:
  • Merriman to the Pats
  • Galloway to the Ravens
  • I've also heard rumblings of the Browns LB who missed out Sunday with an "illness" being available.
  • And the long-standing, generally considered impossible "Peppers to New England" rumour-tron.

I have no doubt something is coming. The question is, what?

I propose this thread for keeping track of interesting tidbits in this area and wild-speculation for bragging rights.

If I had to guess, it's bigger than our pre-programmed minds are willing to wish for.

Last edited:
Re: Signs of the Trade-pocalypse: Official thread for speculation on WTF is going dow

As I say to my wife "prepare to be under whelmed"

Re: Signs of the Trade-pocalypse: Official thread for speculation on WTF is going dow

Could it be that Belichick likes the play of Burgess, Guyton, and Mayo (with Seau and Ninkovich backing up)? That he's moving to a 4-3, and doesn't need TBC (or AT) anymore?

I wouldn't be surprised if Belichick trades Adalius away, but for a pick rather than another linebacker.

Ahaha. I always assume underwhelmingness from this stuff, so I say, let's go off the deep end. Nay?

I have no doubt that nothing is coming .

That's most likely the case.

BB has not made a single mid-season trade ever since he got here in 2000. Of course there's always a first, but...

For those interested, Merriman is active tonight.

i doubt anything happens, its probably to activate levoir or tate, but IF a trade were to go down, my money is on us getting Kamerion Wimbley - Defensive rookie of the year when he came into the league, had a couple bad years, having a much better one this year. The browns suck, and Mangini/Kokinis probably hate most of their inherited personnel - if we gave up a 2nd rounder for Wimbley, it wouldnt be the end of the world.

One flaw in my theory, if this goes down we will have invested next year's 2nd, 3rd, and 5th rounders solely in pass-rushing de/olb's, which seems unlikely

However, given BB's apparent unhappiness with AD, and Burgess being primarily a sub-package player, we could be in the market for another one, and unlike AD, Burgess, and TBC, Wimbley is pretty young - only 26, still in his rookie deal

Last edited:

I don't think it's going to be Merroid. That guy blows. I'm up in the air about it, but I think we're going to see the first midseason trade of the Belichick era. My call? Personally, I think Deion Branch is coming back. I personally wouldn't pull the trigger on him given his health the past few years, but that might be why I'm posting here and am not working in the Pats front office.

The guy still has some shelflife left, knows the system, and already has a good rapport built in with Brady. A third WR to play opposite Moss is sorely needed. Galloway has been a healthy scratch the last few weeks and I don't think Edelman is going to be the guy quite yet (built better as a slot receiver in a 4 WR set).

So, yeah, count me in as someone in the Branch Camp.

I'm hoping we take a chance and go after Merriman. When healthy, he is an elite talent. He ultimately hurt himself by trying to tough it out and play on a bum knee last year. I'd give up a draft pick for a proven talent, especially when you have the chance to buy low on Merriman. He's an absolute terror for o-lines to deal with and would plug one of our biggest needs of a playmaking pass rushing OLB. With the passion he plays the game with I could see him buying into "the patriot way" and the way BB operates. Seems like a guy who will do anything he can to win.

Everytime I think of Merriman I laugh because I just picture Parcells before the draft when he decided to go with Demarcus Ware, saying about Merriman, "I'm too old to coach hoodlums and thugs." LOL gotta love Parcells.

I really think it's because Belichick is doing a majority switch to 4-3, knows he isn't paying Adalius next year, and wants to get value back right now (similar to the rationale for the Seymour trade).

We play lots of nickel and dime this year, with our plentiful DB's, an offense which should give us the lead usually, and at linebacker play Mayo and Guyton.

Other than that, the D is fine with the 4-3 using Mayo, Guyton, and Burgess (who played a ton last game).

Like with Seymour, the value isn't there to pay a guy you're not going to put on the field a lot, thus a trade for future value.

This didn't get enough love.

Regards,
Chris

There's a rumor that Ruud from TB might be trade worthy. He's more of an ILB.

My best guess: LeVoir activated. Nothing else.

I don't think Belichick thinks the LB corp needs improving. Mayo is back and Burgess played a ton last game.

The reason I think he'll trade a player for a pick, is because picks are the most liquid form of value in the NFL. It's like owning US treasury bills 15 years ago (not now).

There's a rumor that Ruud from TB might be trade worthy. He's more of an ILB.

if that happened we really would be moving to a 4-3 - he's a great player but would get murdered in a 3-4 - i guess if he came here guyton would be rolb, mayo mlb, ruud weakside? that would be crazy

Galloway is a healthy scratch for three games. Ravens rumoured to be interested.
AD is a healthy scratch out of no-where. Numerous mid-pack teams are HURTING for LB's.
TBC and his 3-sack pass rushing rejuvenation are cut. Left field move.
Seau comes back sooner than expected.
Aiken (WR #4, STer) signs a 2-year extension (on Friday).

Rumours:
Merriman to the Pats
Galloway to the Ravens
I've also heard rumblings of the Browns LB who missed out Sunday with an "illness" being available.
And the long-standing, generally considered impossible "Peppers to New England" rumour-tron.

I have no doubt something is coming. The question is, what?

I propose this thread for keeping track of interesting tidbits in this area and wild-speculation for bragging rights.

If I had to guess, it's bigger than our pre-programmed minds are willing to wish for.

Bill, Nick and all are being duplicitous with the defense. The adjustments will actually help us prepare for the playoffs and win the SB this year. We're getting it together on defense and I can see us going undefeated from the BYE week forward.

I'm not sure who may be coming in for us or if anyone is.

JP would be great

if that happened we really would be moving to a 4-3 - he's a great player but would get murdered in a 3-4 - i guess if he came here guyton would be rolb, mayo mlb, ruud weakside? that would be crazy

That's what I was thinking.

I don't think Belichick thinks the LB corp needs improving. Mayo is back and Burgess played a ton last game.

The reason I think he'll trade a player for a pick, is because picks are the most liquid form of value in the NFL. It's like owning US treasury bills 15 years ago (not now).

Except that trading Adalius would cost ~$7M on the cap.

I really think it's because Belichick is doing a majority switch to 4-3, knows he isn't paying Adalius next year, and wants to get value back right now (similar to the rationale for the Seymour trade).

We play lots of nickel and dime this year, with our plentiful DB's, an offense which should give us the lead usually, and at linebacker play Mayo and Guyton.

Other than that, the D is fine with the 4-3 using Mayo, Guyton, and Burgess (who played a ton last game).

Like with Seymour, the value isn't there to pay a guy you're not going to put on the field a lot, thus a trade for future value.

I highly doubt this move is due to any type of 4-3 "switch". Also I thought they still have to pay TBC and didn't get much cap savings?

As for the trade rumors, why not wait until the trade to release TBC if that was the reason for the cut?

I doubt we'll see anything major.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye