PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Signs Of A Good Coordinator

Status
Not open for further replies.

maverick4

Banned
Reaction score
I think most serious football fans can tell when a coach is doing a great job at play-calling and scheming. The players are put in good positions to succeed, and there are less careless execution-type errors. Good play-callers also know how to counter-attack or counter-punch what a defense is doing.

For example, if a defense is blitzing up the middle a lot, you throw quick slants across the middle. If the D is calling a monster pass rush every time instead of staying put, you run screens or draws. If a team is keying too much on the run, you run play-action. If a team is jamming receivers at the line, go 5-wide with very quick short passes or direct power runs at the corners for a few plays to soften them up a bit. If a trick play is used, it is specifically designed to exploit a defensive tendency spotted during scouting. Etc etc etc

I hate to say it, because it pisses me off every time I think about it, but Josh McDaniels is NOT a good coordinator, and the Pats can't win a Superbowl with this guy. McDaniels seemingly play-calls at random, does not make appropriate adjustments to the defense, and his tendencies have now been clearly spotted and exploited by both Mangini and Saban. He tries to get cute too often (not pounding the Colts by running, or going too often for fancy plays on 3rd and short). The past two years there have also been way more missed catches, tipped balls, fumbles, and blown blocking assignments. Even his gadget plays get screwed up by illegal formations, illegal double forward passes, or major loss of yards (double reverse).

Some people here say he's a whiz kid who's just too young and inexperienced, but I question even the whiz kid reputation. What has this guy ever done to prove he's a football genius? Not only do I think he's in over his head, but I also don't think he completely understands the game of football enough to exploit different defenses every week or make proper adjustments. Mangini and Saban have clearly figured this guy out already, and soon the rest of the league will too. I also don't think McDaniels is tough enough, strict enough, or commands enough respect among the players, and I think our unusually high number of penalty infractions every single game suggests this.

Last edited:
A new and original thought to add to the many similar threads infesting the forum - say it if it makes you happy, but for pity's sake, please use one of the other Josh must go threads instead of starting a new one.

A new and original thought to add to the many similar threads infesting the forum - say it if it makes you happy, but for pity's sake, please use one of the other Josh must go threads instead of starting a new one.
Yeah, there's no other threads like this around today :rolleyes:

I think this thread is a little different, plus I got tired of trying to wade through the NEM-against-everyone drama on the other thread.

I guess I am more interested to know what others would suggest we try to do yesterday? The Dolphins jammed our receivers at the line, and they had a devastating safety blitz that they used often. What plays would you have tried, and what are other types of offensive countermeasures that coordinators can use for various defensive situations?

Last edited:
I think this thread is a little different, plus I got tired of trying to wade through the NEM-against-everyone drama on the other thread.
I am new here but is is possible to have a private thread for members so issues like this do not happen - almost like an invitation list to a thread to maintain some sense of order

I guess I am more interested to know what others would suggest we try to do yesterday? The Dolphins jammed our receivers at the line, and they had a devastating safety blitz that they used often. What plays would you have tried, and what are other types of offensive countermeasure that coordinators can use for various defensive situations?

We were out performed to the max yesterday. I'm not sure that ANYTHING would have worked. When your WRs can't even get into their routes and the OL is blocking like matadors there isn't much you can do.

The Defense was crowding the line against the pass, so it's not like the run game had an advantage from it that could be exploited.

The only thing you can do in that situation is to back off a defense by burning them over the top of their defense, which we couldn't do. Our WR play didn't allow it.

One thing I noticed was the lack of 3-step drop passing plays. It seems that even after it was clear we had protection difficulties, we kept calling deep drops, and long-developing passing plays. Also, all those formations with 3 receivers all bunched up near the line of scrimmage are a horrible idea. Finally, I think we should have started using quick patterns to our slot receivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes