PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Signings After The Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Some posters have said that Belichick would never delay signings because of the potential effects on compensatory picks.

What non-rookie signings have we made since the draft?

It seems to me that the team has indeed waited until June 1.

I suspect that we will still sign at least one TE, LB, DB and RB. And we might sign a DE. Obviously, Belichick might sign even more.

Potential signings:

- return of Steve Gregory
-Dustin Keller
-Jermichael Finley
-Rob Housler (if cut)
-James Anderson
- a JAG RB (Bush, Brown, Leonard)

Bush? I liked him years ago in Oakland...those Oakland miles may have taken their toll. From what I remember he would be a good signing if the money is rightt and he hasn't had too many injuries (don't know his history and don't care to look it up).

Unless they have been signed by others, I would add
LB Sylvester
LB Mitchell
CB Thomas

Potential signings:

- return of Steve Gregory
-Dustin Keller
-Jermichael Finley
-Rob Housler (if cut)
-James Anderson
- a JAG RB (Bush, Brown, Leonard)

Bush? I liked him years ago in Oakland...those Oakland miles may have taken their toll. From what I remember he would be a good signing if the money is rightt and he hasn't had too many injuries (don't know his history and don't care to look it up).

He looked like he had a inner tube under his uniform last year, he's probably done.

I thought Keller was going to be signed but hasn't happened yet. Medical issues or money?
Maybe both?

http://q.usatoday.com/2014/06/03/kevin-williams-minnesota-vikings-nfl-nflpa/

“I’m still weighing my options, man,” said Williams, who has visited the Seattle Seahawks and New York Giants. “Hopefully, I’ll be on somebody’s team in August and go from there.”
Williams certainly isn’t what he once was, but he could still be a functional role player someplace. He chuckled when I said I always thought the New England Patriots seemed like a good fit.
“Well, give them a call,” Williams said. “Tell them to look me up.”

Back to the original post, I think there is a strategy to delaying certain signings for after the draft. The March FA period is about high priority players: Revis, Browner, LaFell, guys who are signed to play major roles.

Once FA slows, there remains a group on unsigned players. These are useful rotational guys, but hold less value than a potential draft pick. I think teams wait until after the draft to see if these players are needed.

Take Anderson for example. Nice rotational piece, perhaps Belichick looked at him back in March. The team chose to wait just in case they had a change to draft a Mosley or a VanNoy at a position of value. The draft didn't fall that way, so there's you're signing.

Unless they have been signed by others, I would add
LB Sylvester
LB Mitchell
CB Thomas
…and I would still add SS Reed Doughty, RB/FB Rob Leonard, WR Austin Collie, OT Will Svitek
and of course TE Dustin Keller.

I thought Keller was going to be signed but hasn't happened yet. Medical issues or money?
Maybe both?
It may be that he's not ready to pass a physical yet (guessing). That wouldn't be surprising considering his knee got completely destroyed last season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing