PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Signing or replacing our own in free agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
There will be many opportunities for upgrade. But I think it reasonable to try to replace or re-sign all of the following in free agency. This would give maximum flexibility for the draft. Just so that I am not miunderstood, no matter what we do in free agency, I expect us to draft a DE and an OLB by the end of the second round.

However, it is Belichick's method to try to have a full roster of players before the draft, with no complete holes.

Eight seems a reasonable number of target positions for the next six weeks.

Green
Thomas
Burgess

Stanback
Welker
Baker
Watson

Hanson
==========================
We have players in place for the other 45 roster spots. Obviously, injuries happen and also many of these 45 could be upgraded.

There will be many opportunities for upgrade. But I think it reasonable to try to replace or re-sign all of the following in free agency. This would give maximum flexibility for the draft. Just so that I am not miunderstood, no matter what we do in free agency, I expect us to draft a DE and an OLB by the end of the second round.

However, it is Belichick's method to try to have a full roster of players before the draft, with no complete holes.

Eight seems a reasonable number of target positions for the next six weeks.

Green
Thomas
Burgess

Stanback
Welker
Baker
Watson

Hanson
==========================
We have players in place for the other 45 roster spots. Obviously, injuries happen and also many of these 45 could be upgraded.

I'll take my stab at suggestions:

Green => Marques Douglas

Thomas => Keep him until camp. No rush to deal or cut him unless we're blown away by a deal.

Burgess => Re-sign. He was solid in the second half and can fill a variety of roles, even if not full time.

Stanback => I think one free agent could replace him and Welker. Sign Josh Reed so you have Moss, Reed, Edelman as a top 3, and let Stanback, Aiken, Tate, and a rookie fight it out for 4 and 5. When Welker comes back, your depth improves.

Welker => See above.

Baker => Use an extra OL as a blocker, like Levoir or Kazcur

Watson => Prefer to re-sign him, but if not I think Crumpler could fill in well enough in a pinch.

Hanson => Honestly? Don't care about the punter, even though I know I shouldn't overlook it.

green, has all redy signed with denver. i would like to see them sign cory redding to take he's place.

thomas, will be on the team untill draft day. and if there is no trade for him he will be there for TC to push the rookies a lil. i don't see him on the team if the pats fill that hole in the draft.

burgess, should be back. there is no one better out there at this point.

Stanback, will get replaced by a undrafted rookie by preseason.

welker, will Julian Edelman, is going to try to fill he's shoes untill he comes back.

Baker, maybe back. if not he can be replaced by a undrafed rookie or a late round pick.

watson, i would like to re-sign if not he can be replaced.

hanson, they sould bring back just to push a rookie.

ABOUT WIDE RECEIVERS

We keep 6-7 with #5 or higher being special teamers or players with another role

#1 Moss
#2 ??????
#3 slot Edelman is a fine fill-in for Welker for 2010
#4 ?????? (Tate, Patten, a free agent or a draftee could take this roster spot)
#5, #6, #7 Aiken, Tate, Slater, Stanback competing for 2-3 roster spots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes