PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Significance to Pats of Sep. 1 Deadline for Branch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

QB12

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Haven't seen this discussed much - what's the significance to the Pats of the Sep. 1 deadline for Branch - any coincidence that its 1 day before the final cutdown date to 53?

QB12

Last edited:
The date was set to put an end to this nonsense while giving Branch and his agent enough time to realize they are asking too much money.

Once hope of a trade is ended and they know Branch's market value, September 1st still gives him enough time to get his but into camp - but I still doubt he'll do the right thing right away and report once that date is passed - he'll push it to the last possible minute and then end the holdout IMO

When is the date after which if you cut a player he is still owed his salary for the full season? I believe it is September 2nd?

PromisedLand said:
When is the date after which if you cut a player he is still owed his salary for the full season? I believe it is September 2nd?

I thought but do not KNOW that it was game 1 day of the regular season.

I still think that there has to be a side agreement on this trade deadline.

That agreement should be: if no takers you report on 9/2 and play out your contract. I would be surprised if ther isn't an agreement of this kind.

I doubt it has anything to do with cutting the little weasel.

Rather, there is surely some kind of "failed to report" list that doesn't count against the roster limit. At least the Pats wouldn't have to waste a roster spot on the little weasel.

For a $1 million cap hit, I'm sure the Pats have every intention of making him rot in hell if he doesn't report this week.

PATSNUTme said:
I still think that there has to be a side agreement on this trade deadline.

That agreement should be: if no takers you report on 9/2 and play out your contract. I would be surprised if ther isn't an agreement of this kind.

I think you're right, but would add the following:

and we'll do all we can to up your extension so you can sign it this year before your rookie contract expires.

QB12

I think it is significant...the final cuts are made on Sat Sept 2...so I am wondering if there is no resolution to this that teh team has time for a trade BEFORE the deadline. Does anyone think they already have a possible trade or trades in mind IF Deion does not come back immediately?? I think that is what it is..why then and NOT on Saturday..Sunday?? They want a resolution one way or another BEFORE the cutdown day...If Branch remains unreasonable, then effectively, they will make a splash and Mr Deion will not matter.

PromisedLand said:

I believe he has to be on the roster to have his salary guaranteed - if Branch doesn't report he isn't on the roster and his salary isn't guaranteed so I think that may be a red herring in this case

hwc said:
I doubt it has anything to do with cutting the little weasel.

Yet another in an ongoing stream of 'heightist' slams against those of us vertically challenged at 5' 9". Sigh.

hwc said:

Rather, there is surely some kind of "failed to report" list that doesn't count against the roster limit. At least the Pats wouldn't have to waste a roster spot on the little weasel.

For a $1 million cap hit, I'm sure the Pats have every intention of making him rot in hell if he doesn't report this week.
He is already on the Reserve/Did Not Report list.

QB12 said:
Haven't seen this discussed much - what's the significance to the Pats of the Sep. 1 deadline for Branch - any coincidence that its 1 day before the final cutdown date to 53?

QB12

I don't think it's a coincidence at all, as the Pats might want to pick up a Free Agent on cut day if they conclude that Branch is going to sit out past the beginning of the season.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back