PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sign the Beast(s) XXI -- Beef up the Lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

English Patriot

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Believe it or not the Superbowl is won in the dirty not so glamorous area - the trenches.

One thing that's going over people's heads about SB 49 is the fact that for the first time in a long time in a big game, Tom Brady was PROTECTED. He could throw, which meant god himself couldnt put a defense together that could stop #12. Give Tom time and he'll put up more points than the other team regardless of who's on it. It's one of the beneficiaries of having the baddest, most clutch player on the planet.

On the flip side Wilson for the most part also had tonnes of time to throw but that was negated most of the time by the best CB tandem in the league. So what to do when you no longer have that? Get NASTY on the d-line. Collapse that pocket like the Bills and Dolphins look like they're going trying to do to us from here on out. Fight fire with fire and for once make the Pats D-Line actually scary because those kitten QB's in the AFC East will be throwing pick 6's the second they see pressure.

Dallas' o-line is so good that it's hard to even touch Romo and they enabled Murray to go out there and demand top dollar after creating gaping holes for him to run into all year long. This should be the Pats #1 priority every season - protect Tom.

On the Defensive side whether it's through the draft or FA, players are there that we can add to Easley next season that can help ease the fact we lost the best corner around. Bring Browner back and keep this D physical.

Our secondary took such a major step back that anyone we take with the 32rd pick in the draft will not be able to come close to compensating for it. At 32 you simply don't get a dominating force ready to contribute at a high level on day one.

Our secondary took such a major step back that anyone we take with the 32rd pick in the draft will not be able to come close to compensating for it. At 32 you simply don't get a dominating force ready to contribute at a high level on day one.

Of course it did. You dont lose Revis and not become significantly worse but you can mask it by pressuring the opposing the QB while at the same time protecting the most important thing in NE - Tom Brady

Believe it or not the Superbowl is won in the dirty not so glamorous area - the trenches.

One thing that's going over people's heads about SB 49 is the fact that for the first time in a long time in a big game, Tom Brady was PROTECTED. He could throw, which meant god himself couldnt put a defense together that could stop #12. Give Tom time and he'll put up more points than the other team regardless of who's on it. It's one of the beneficiaries of having the baddest, most clutch player on the planet.

On the flip side Wilson for the most part also had tonnes of time to throw but that was negated most of the time by the best CB tandem in the league. So what to do when you no longer have that? Get NASTY on the d-line. Collapse that pocket like the Bills and Dolphins look like they're going trying to do to us from here on out. Fight fire with fire and for once make the Pats D-Line actually scary because those kitten QB's in the AFC East will be throwing pick 6's the second they see pressure.

Dallas' o-line is so good that it's hard to even touch Romo and they enabled Murray to go out there and demand top dollar after creating gaping holes for him to run into all year long. This should be the Pats #1 priority every season - protect Tom.

On the Defensive side whether it's through the draft or FA, players are there that we can add to Easley next season that can help ease the fact we lost the best corner around. Bring Browner back and keep this D physical.
I'm not sure about bringing browner back. While I love his physicality add much as the next guy, you need a true cb1 opposite him. You need to be able to put somebody on an island, and roll your safety over.

The man is great at redirecting receivers, after that his foot speed works against him. Put browner on Edes? Lol, while he may wreck Jules a handful of plays, minitron would also make him look silly in space for 5 receptions and 75 yards outside of pedestrian, chain moving receptions.

"
In 2014 the Bengals starting defensive backfield had 3 first rounders (Hall, Newman, Nelson) and a 5th rounder (Safety George Iloka). Their nickel and dime corners (Jones and Kirkpatrick) were both first round picks. The Bengals were so stacked with first round corners, their 2014 first round pick (CB Darqueze Dennard) was their 6th CB and mostly played special teams.

Compare that makeup of the 20th ranked pass defense with the top ranked pass defense. Seattle’s top corners are a 5th round pick (Richard Sherman), a 6th round pick (Byron Maxwell) and a 5th round pick (Tharold Simon). At safety they have a first round pick (Earl Thomas) and a 5th round pick (Kam Chancellor). Of the 10 defensive backs that suited up for Seattle this year, only Thomas was selected before the 5th round. This is almost the direct opposite of Cincinnati where 8 of the 10 defensive backs that saw action in 2014 were taken in the first 3 rounds in the draft"

http://thesteelersnat.com/2015-archives/the-myth-of-the-first-round-cb.html

Your emotions are getting the better of your reason. You are making statements as if they are fact when they are just opinions...and as you can plainly see if you want to, erroneous.

I'm with ya English. More so on the offense in my ignorant opinion. While an upgraded dline pass rush (is it ground hog day?) Is needed, I would like some beef at og. Stork is a keeper, and solder came on late (if you want an opinion on Vollmer I don't trust what you see). Specifically, stork standing by Tom in the superbrawl before getting after it.

A couple big angry guards makes this offense scary (if mcd will let them get after it). Best part, supposedly Scar has helped with scouting, and based on this past year, it seems we have deviated from a "prancing black bear" prototype, and shifted towards a "massive grizzly" prototype.

With brady aging, and stout dlines throughout the AFCE, it makes sense. Lafell, and Edes ate willing and able blockers. Gronk...don't step in his club. Not to mention my favorite, DEVELIN!

Bring back ridley, or sign Moreno and that's one hell of a run game (assuming the og upgrade), hell, spiller would also beast behind that.

And it took them a few years to develop into what they've become. I'm not saying that we can't find playmakers in every round. I'm saying we can't find day 1 playermakers in every round.

And it took them a few years to develop into what they've become. I'm not saying that we can't find playmakers in every round. I'm saying we can't find day 1 playermakers in every round.

Just stop, please. Sherman was drafted in the 5th in 2011. He put up 55 total tackles and 4 INTS. Last season he put up 57 and 4. Jeremy Lane started 13 games in 2012 and 15 in 2013 in his first two years. The NUMBER ONE defense and pass defense.

Eh Tom was getting harassed by Bennett in the Superbowl and the Ravens as well we made up for it by the quick short passing game we can definately improve in the OL. As for defense as we stand right now we are a weaker unit because our secondary has become mediocre on paper. I agree with beefing up the DL our linebackers agree are good enough maybe draft a few corners and go from there. We still have the GOAT at the most important position and the GOAT coach as well Patriots will be in the playoffs and will have a shot at repeating. It just got significantly harder without Revis however

Stork was a rookie this year. Vollmer I believe started his rookie year. Solder started his rookie year and Guges was quoted claiming he was one of the top 3 lts in the league (in sure Welker's agent noted this).

While many olineman have taken years to develop here, just as many have stepped in and performed. Far more when compared to rookie dline performance, where far higher draft capital has been spent.

Defensive draft capital takes years to develop, where as our draft record with offensive beef points to a much more immediate yield.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back