PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sign the Beast LX: Eagles' ILB Mychal Kendricks, anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
With Mayo and Hightower sidelined, who's are good 3 ones?
I am including Mayo and HT who I expect to be ready for the vast majority if not all of the season.

Ironically, Kendricks is listed as a ILB and played MIKE. He's 6' and 240lbs. He is as big as Bruschi if not bigger who was a BB designed ILB. Why do I not get this undersized stuff? Mayo is 6'1" and 250lbs (maybe). So Mayo is undersized? Alonzo who they just brought in and is why Kendricks might be available at MLB, is 238lbs (ironically Alonzo was from Newton Mass.!). The pretty good ILB from the Niners who just retired Patrick Willis, 6'1" 240 (same size). What am I missing?

He is a one year rental but you have a bunch of one year rentals (or extensions) on the D you must decide on. If he is better than Mayo you can still opt for Kendricks. I like Mayo but his contract for this year and the next two is $30m. I think they can sign a 24 year old for less. It's just business. Since 2011 as a test sampling because Mayo has been hurt three of the last four years at some point, Kendricks is the better player stat for stat. Mayo had a super 2012.
Kendricks has 4.47 speed and you can't teach that. He might be the fastest ILB in the league.
I liked Spikes but he was a two down guy.
DW Toys
Bruschi was 6'1 247, Kendrick is 5'11 237. Bruschi is the smallest LB BB has used, so smaller than the smallest certainly would be a concern.
Other LBs in other systems are not a good comparison. Kendrick could fit well on other teams, but it seems like he would be a bad fit given what BB asks of his LBs, Of course everything evolves and there could be a role, especially as the league continues to get more pass heavy, but not a big one.
If we are in nickel 75% of the time in a 60 snap game that gives you 135 total LB snaps. The issue is more that this isn't enough snaps for the 3 we have and we have to find other ways to use them (such as HT at DE, or playing 3-3 nickel) than that we need more LBs.

Bruschi was 6'1 247, Kendrick is 5'11 237. Bruschi is the smallest LB BB has used, so smaller than the smallest certainly would be a concern.
Other LBs in other systems are not a good comparison. Kendrick could fit well on other teams, but it seems like he would be a bad fit given what BB asks of his LBs, Of course everything evolves and there could be a role, especially as the league continues to get more pass heavy, but not a big one.
If we are in nickel 75% of the time in a 60 snap game that gives you 135 total LB snaps. The issue is more that this isn't enough snaps for the 3 we have and we have to find other ways to use them (such as HT at DE, or playing 3-3 nickel) than that we need more LBs.

Fair enough, but if you are in nickle75% of the time and running 2 LBS, would not Collins and Kendrick be better options on sure pass downs than Hightower (who we might not see until after the bye) . Hightower has been great for us but not the best option for coverage LB. He is decent for a 270lb guy but more spread sets bringing quicker receivers and move TEs. I question Mayo yet as well. Correct me if I am wrong but he has not been cleared yet.

I agree the League is evolving. If you remember last year he tried to sign a very speedy ILB Wesley Woodyard right out of the gate in FA. He is smaller than Kendrick.

If they wanted that run stuffer. I am sure they could resign Spikes but that is not the case.

Whether it is Trade or Draft I predict another LB with coverage skills. McClain was very rare as a bigger LB who could cover. We do not know all of who the Pats had visit either. Perhaps you Draft a kid like a bigger SS and force feed him to LB? I don't know.

It seems to me a mid round choice for Kendricks would be a steal. They say he was snubbed for All Pro last year and should have been.
DW Toys

Fair enough, but if you are in nickle75% of the time and running 2 LBS, would not Collins and Kendrick be better options on sure pass downs than Hightower (who we might not see until after the bye) . Hightower has been great for us but not the best option for coverage LB. He is decent for a 270lb guy but more spread sets bringing quicker receivers and move TEs. I question Mayo yet as well. Correct me if I am wrong but he has not been cleared yet.
HT is a much better LB than Kendricks. When

I agree the League is evolving. If you remember last year he tried to sign a very speedy ILB Wesley Woodyard right out of the gate in FA. He is smaller than Kendrick.

If they wanted that run stuffer. I am sure they could resign Spikes but that is not the case.

Whether it is Trade or Draft I predict another LB with coverage skills. McClain was very rare as a bigger LB who could cover. We do not know all of who the Pats had visit either. Perhaps you Draft a kid like a bigger SS and force feed him to LB? I don't know.

It seems to me a mid round choice for Kendricks would be a steal. They say he was snubbed for All Pro last year and should have been.
DW Toys[/QUOTE]
Playing nickel as a base requires big LBs. You cannot play 2 LBs and 5 DBs when your LBs are small, you will get killed in the run game.
HT is a much better LB than Kendricks. (If he was a snubbed all pro as you say, why would anyone trade him for a mid round choice?)
There is just no where for Kendricks to play because we have 3 better LBs. I am not worried about the health of HT and Mayo. Mayo just restructured down a contract guaranteed against injury. Players don't 'get cleared' in the off-season.
I think we are fine at LB and could just use a little depth.

HT is a much better LB than Kendricks. When

DW Toys
Playing nickel as a base requires big LBs. You cannot play 2 LBs and 5 DBs when your LBs are small, you will get killed in the run game.
HT is a much better LB than Kendricks. (If he was a snubbed all pro as you say, why would anyone trade him for a mid round choice?)
There is just no where for Kendricks to play because we have 3 better LBs. I am not worried about the health of HT and Mayo. Mayo just restructured down a contract guaranteed against injury. Players don't 'get cleared' in the off-season.
I think we are fine at LB and could just use a little depth.[/QUOTE]
Fair retort
DW Toys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back