PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sign the Beast XVI -- Big Vince Wilfork!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eom

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
sign the beast -- big vince wilfork!

YES!!

I think that Wilfork, at age 34 and coming off an ok-ish season where his run-stuffing prowess was visibly diminished, will soon find that other clubs are not quite willing to pay what Mrs Wilfork told him they will be. I think Wilfork will likely be disappointed by the $4-5m ish kind of numbers he'll be quoted (maybe 2 year at $8m), and that in the end of the day the Pats will be able to match and squeeze in such a number. I know a lot of pundits feel that Wilfork will command $8m+ but I think that is a stretch.

He will be a Colt next season.

Love Vince, really do, but it's a deep draft for DT and there are several on the market - or likely to be.

Dockett only got 2 million guaranteed (can earn four) on a 2-year deal worth up to 7.5.

Tommy Kelly got 1 million. Kevin Williams got 2 million.

Vince might be looking at a Dockett-like deal, but I'd guess that'd be near his ceiling. At that point, he might come back to the Pats for that, otherwise, he'll probably retire.

Age is a bad thing.

I hope you're right, and one would assume that the team + his agent will likely keep an open dialogue throughout the process.

I'm hoping that he can re-sign for something in the 3--3.5m dollar range, as I feel that is quite reasonable. I don't think any of us want to see Wilfork end up somewhere else.

Pat Kirwin thinks Vince will be back with the Pats and this was simply that it made no sense to pay him the $4 million roster bonus.

I understand Kirwin's thinking and he could be right. I think Vince will retire, but there is certainly an argument that he returns.

Pat Kirwin thinks Vince will be back with the Pats and this was simply that it made no sense to pay him the $4 million roster bonus.

I understand Kirwin's thinking and he could be right. I think Vince will retire, but there is certainly an argument that he returns.

I think the Patriots would be willing to match 3-3.5$

what if he gets a 2 yr 7m offer --- what are the chances the pats give him 8m including a 6m signing bonus for 7m this year?

what if he gets a 2 yr 7m offer --- what are the chances the pats give him 8m including a 6m signing bonus for 7m this year?

Not likely imo.

Nah he's gone unless he wants to play for the league minimum. Belichick is a "a sooner than later" coach. He's looking to get younger at the position. Either in the draft or maybe someone like Dan Williams.

Nah he's gone unless he wants to play for the league minimum. Belichick is a "a sooner than later" coach.

That's the way I see it, too. It's not like Vince is going to be better next year or the year after. Belichick doesn't want to have to ask Vince for his playbook on the last day of training camp. That would REALLY suck. The problem with Kirwin's theory is that offering Vince a $2 million deal to try to make the team would be way more insulting than not picking up his $4 million roster bonus. If the right number were $5 million instead of $8 million, fine. But, the right number for a 2 down run stuffer in a 75% nickle package is NOT $5 million. Or $4 million.

Jim Miller thinks that there will be demand for Wilfork from other teams, pointing out how much help he could be with young players at a place like Oakland. I agree with that, too. I just don't think the demand is going to be enough to get Wilfork to pack up, move, and play for a crap team.

I think Vince will retire, but there is certainly an argument that he returns.

Vince stated today that "there is plenty of gas left in the tank," and that "hell yea(h)" he will still be playing into the future.

It doesn't seem like he's even considering the possibility of retiring.

Vince stated today that ..."hell yea(h)" he will still be playing into the future.

That's not what he said in his statement today:

B_Vq-vOW8AI5SOP.jpg

That's not what he said in his statement today:

B_Vq-vOW8AI5SOP.jpg

I see the quote of "can I still play football? Hell yea. Do I still love football? Hell yea." I also the quote of "lots of gas still left in the tank."

What on God's earth leads you to believe that he is going to retire after reading this? I see nothing whatsoever to suggest that. I see lots to suggest the opposite.

If Wilfork were going to retire, why wouldn't he have just done so--and not even commented on the fact that the Pats weren't picking up his option?

Last edited:
Who said Wilfork was going to get offers of $8 million + on the open market?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back