PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

SIgn Samuel NOW!

Status
Not open for further replies.

carolinatony

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
With Dillon retiring and Chad Jackson hurt we may need to change out draft plans. I say ...sign Asante to a contract now. We could also lose Graham.
Lets get a LB @ 24 and than we have options at 28.
We can go with SS or WR/RB if there's value there.
thoughts?

CJ won't miss the entire season, and really his injury affects FA more than the draft. We'd look for a guy who can come in and make an impact now, and that's probably only going to happen via FA. CJ is still important in our plans for the next few seasons, so the setback really only affects 07.

As for CD, we gotta wait and see how that plays out. The whole thing seems a little iffy to me right now.

Last edited:
If we do things right in free agency we don't need to worry about our draft plans. If Corey's gone, we have 5 more to spend in free agency. We don't need to spend all that money on a RB, especially with Faulk already here as the backup. This frees up more cash to sign Asante and to make a run at a FA WR like Stallworth or Curtis.

If we do things right in free agency we don't need to worry about our draft plans. If Corey's gone, we have 5 more to spend in free agency.

Not necessarily, as discussed in the other thread, apparently it only frees up 1.6 mil.

Hope you guys are right. I just hope we add a LB or two this year.

Nah, wait until things get dicey.

Don't hit the panic button just yet.

What do you mean "sign Samuel now?"

He's under the Pats' control unless another team decides to swipe him, in which case the Pats will have plenty of 1st round picks.

Tony, take a deep breath, relax, am confident the BB & crew knew about Dillon, and know about Graham et al. There is a plan, and we will all find out in the next 3-4 weeks.

Besides, Dillon isn't retiring.

Calm down, Tony. If Dillon sticks around after all, he won't be the starter anyway.

Last edited:

We franchised him. He don't have a 4/5 yr contract with him is what I mean.
Some players don't like the Tag and it can cause problems sometimes.

Sweet another Asante thread. This one adds so much to insight and depth to the pther 500 inane fanboy threads. Have we set the record yet?

We franchised him. He don't have a 4/5 yr contract with him is what I mean.
Some players don't like the Tag and it can cause problems sometimes.

Why does it matter if the Pats sign Samuel to a long-term deal tomorrow, April 23, or July 14?

Is it time to bring back an old friend?

panicbutton.gif

There is no need to sign Samuels NOW. Hopefully, a deal will get done soon. But if another tean thinks he's worth 2 #1 draft choices, that isn't bad either.

He's under the Pats' control unless another team decides to swipe him, in which case the Pats will have plenty of 1st round picks.

Right - technically it should be "sign Samuel last week!" which they did by franchising him.

Heck, since the franchise salaries haven't yet caught up with the market yet, franchising him next year for a 20% bump in pay isn't even unthinkable.

Sure we can't spread that impact out over a long contract, but in terms of the actual dollars committed, for one year at a time, with no long term risk to the team, that's not bad - and Samuel, meanwhile if he actually were franchised next year too, is looking at a guaranteed salary over 2 years of $17 million.

That's really not a bad deal - frankly I think it sets the price nicely for actual long term contract negotiations that include a signing bonus near that amount, but stretched over 2 years.

So I actually have hope that both sides might see the wisdom in striking a deal. Samuel can get his guaranteed money over 2-3 years, or he can receive near the same amount but only a on year to year basis. Both have pros and cons for both parties.

With Dillon retiring and Chad Jackson hurt we may need to change out draft plans. I say ...sign Asante to a contract now. We could also lose Graham.
Lets get a LB @ 24 and than we have options at 28.
We can go with SS or WR/RB if there's value there.
thoughts?

won't affect our draft plans at all. Why do we need another rookie WR? Free agent or low pick-same as before.

1st RB? We've got one free agent, low pick if there's someone good.

You may now go back to panicking.

I am not panicking guys, just asking. Getting ready for FA's and the draft.
We do new a LB and we do need to address WR imo. We have no #1 WR.
My point was IF we sign Samuel to a contract than we can move on and address other needs.
Yes, we can trade him and maybe get another #1 but than we have to draft someone we Hope will be as good. That was my whole point.
I'm laughing but not panicking. You guys have a lot more knowledge than I on the Pats. I like reading your take on this. Some of you seem to know as much as the Pats front office.
thanks

I am not panicking guys, just asking. Getting ready for FA's and the draft.
We do new a LB and we do need to address WR imo. We have no #1 WR.

I agree, but when have the Pats had a #1 WR?

carolinatony said:
My point was IF we sign Samuel to a contract than we can move on and address other needs.

How does that reasoning work? Nobody else is going to be signing Samuel. Whether he is signed tomorrow or 4 months from now won't affect how the Pats pursue other free agents.

carolinatony said:
Yes, we can trade him and maybe get another #1 but than we have to draft someone we Hope will be as good. That was my whole point.
I'm laughing but not panicking. You guys have a lot more knowledge than I on the Pats. I like reading your take on this. Some of you seem to know as much as the Pats front office.
thanks

Maybe, maybe...;)

Originally Posted by carolinatony

How does that reasoning work? Nobody else is going to be signing Samuel. Whether he is signed tomorrow or 4 months from now won't affect how the Pats pursue other free agents.

I don't want him coming to camp pissed that all. We all know what happend to Branch last year and we don't want a unhappy player. It never helps.
I am not saying he's unhappy.

Originally Posted by carolinatony

I don't want him coming to camp pissed that all. We all know what happend to Branch last year and we don't want a unhappy player. It never helps.
I am not saying he's unhappy.

The deadline for franchise players to sign long-term contracts is July 15. The Pats won't be starting training camp before then. Because of China, their start will probably be around July 18 or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down