PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sign Mankins now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was made the offer the team thought was fair, it's been proven the line can survive without his massive contract.

Why should we sign him now?

As for playing him when he comes back, lets see what's best for the football team to use a famous quote. If it looks like we need him play him. If connolly is still playing as well as he is, why should we play a guy who wants to leave

Seriously, at this point we need need to batten down the hatches on what we got. Securing our O-Line would go a long way to proving that our offense could be better without Moss, even if I don't believe that yet.

Ummmm.....no...OL has been doing a damned good job without him...I would trade Mankins and dump kaczur....GO PATS!!!!

Why waste the money ? Dan Connelly is having a great, great year, at 1/20 th the cost. We don't need Mankins.

They ought to talking to Connelly's agent about extending him. Per Miguel's cap page , he's signed through 2011 at $600K this year...

Last edited:
If the Patriots were so willing to trade Moss for what most believe to be below market value I have no idea why they haven't moved Mankins. If Mankins comes to Foxboro and yells at O'Brien will he then get traded?

if the pats weren't interested in keeping mankins, he would have already been dealt away one way or another.

His issues are nothing like Moss'. He was the perfect employee until his contract expired. He fulfilled his obligation without saying a word.

Which once again shows that you need to make noise while you are still under contract. Look at Deion Branch. Look at Richard Seymour. If you are under cantract and throw your hissy fit, then you eitehr get paid, or sent to someone who will pay you.

If he was smart, he would have done this a year ago.

If the Patriots were so willing to trade Moss for what most believe to be below market value I have no idea why they haven't moved Mankins. If Mankins comes to Foxboro and yells at O'Brien will he then get traded?

No, no, no. Only if you show up for TC and actually, you know--play, do they start thinking about shipping you out.

If Connolly gets tossed around by Ngata next week, maybe we'll see more activity on this front.

The only reason I say resign Mankins is if he'd be willing to move to RG and takeover for Neal once the season is over. Connolly is better than Mankins at pulling on strong side runs, one of the most important aspects to playing LG, they def. need to extend Connolly the way he's played. If they were to resign Mankins tho, move him to RG, then extend Connolly, they'd be set at both guard spots and whatever tackle spot Vollmer plays longterm, and rebuilding the line becomes a lot easier.

I think the prospects of a trade are entirely in Mankins' court. The Pats can't trade a player not under contract. He wants to get traded? No need to argue with anyone or rant in the press. If he signs his tender I'm sure the Pats will do what they can to trade him ASAP.

Last edited:
Seriously, at this point we need need to batten down the hatches on what we got. Securing our O-Line would go a long way to proving that our offense could be better without Moss, even if I don't believe that yet.

Go back under your rock vector ... the line play has been solid.

if the pats weren't interested in keeping mankins, he would have already been dealt away one way or another.

His issues are nothing like Moss'. He was the perfect employee until his contract expired. He fulfilled his obligation without saying a word.

It's not that simple.

Remember that when they gave him the tender, he had several weeks at the beginning of the season to shop himself to other teams, so they have some clue what they want.

The problem is that the Patriots can't trade him until he signs his tender, and he can simply refuse to sign the tender unless he gets something acceptable, so they can't ship him somewhere he doesn't want to go.

The two likely conclusions here are: (1) no one wants to sign Mankins, or (2) the Patriots haven't found any trade partners acceptable to Mankins.

Only reason to sign mankins is if he can stretch the field vertically like Moss could. Given that he's 300+ pounds and never played WR and couldn't break a 5.0 40...I think that's dubious.

Otherwise it's just a desperation move that has nothing whatsoever to do wtih the WR situation.

I think the WR situation will be fine, BTW.

Mankins has jumped the shark.

Good riddance.

Ive heard rumors that hes already said his plan is wait until the last possible moment and sign so he gets credit for the year. if this is the case, consider the patriots and their position.

As i see it, the patriots have 3 options, and none of them are particularly attractive.

1. Pay Mankins what he wants;

This is great if you dont mind spending 8-9 mill per year on a guard, the pats have reportedly already offered him around 7m y/r , keep in mind also that the offensive line is one of the strengths of this team atm with some more depth in nick Kaczur coming back you'd have an overabundance of depth at the position and be pretty close to overpaying.

2. Trade Mankins;

Convince Mankins to come in and sign him to a deal for the sole purpose of being able to trade him, he is not signed by the patriots ATM which means they cannot make any trade involving him. at this stage in the season and given the fact that he is going to want a new lucrative contract right away with his new team, the best possible draft pick you could probably get would be a 3rd or a 4th, maybe some dumb team offers you a 2nd but probably not.

3. Wait til he signs his tender late in the season.

At this point the trade deadline has passed and he would be playing simply to get out from under the restricted free arent tender next year and become an unrestricted free agent, i can only assume that he would be a bench warmer til the end unless some kind of injury happens.

#3 is the most unfortunate scenario and also the most likely, people say that all of the power is in the patriots court, but the more the season progresses, the less control the patriots have over Mankins as his value decreases.

You forget another, better possibility. Give in, sign him for $8 million per year, in now. Then with him secured, trade his ass to Oakland or Buffalo.

For my money, Welker has moved ahead of Mankins on the "pay 'em" list.

Mankins will be traded for a 5th round draft pick in 2029.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down