PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sigh. Kraft still backing Goodell

Status
Not open for further replies.
being a little optimistic, perhaps he is backing up Gooddell because the commissioner already told Bob "relax you guys are going to get a Jets pick for the tampering".

We'll see how long Kraft supports Goodell if the Patriots lose a #1 draft pick and Belichick
and Brady are suspended for several games based on flimsy evidence.

Much more than that needs to be done to Kensil. The league needs to make it clearly known that not only are the Pats completely innocent in DeflateGate, it also needs to make it quite clear that Kensil attempted a sting out of long-standing bias and had an anti-Pats agenda that is unacceptable in a league where all teams are to be treated fairly.

Ideally it will also involve a re-opening of any disciplinary action that was levied against the Pats where Kensil had any role whatsoever in the issue, such as , quite likely, CameraPlacementGate.

The league should also point out that regarding the issue that is supposed to have started Kensil on his anti-Pats vendetta, the attempted hiring of BB as HC, that the Pats acted above board in their attempts to talk to BB about their HC position and that the Rats resorted to shady practices in their attempt to prevent that.

They should especially emphasize that all of the bad blood between the two franchises stem from the Rats tampering with Bill Parcells, particularly odious as as the Pats were getting ready to play in a Superbowl at a time in which they had never won a Superbowl and been trounced the only other time they appeared in one.

So many people point to the Pats getting BB as HC after BB resigned after only one day as the Rat HC, as the genesis to the Pats-Rats bad blood. Too much is made of the humiliation that this caused the Rats, and not nearly enough is made of the fact that the only reason the Rats had BB on their coaching staff is because, as BP's longtime DC, BB followed him to the Rats when they stole BP.

It takes a lot of gall for a thief to complain when his undeserved booty is returned to the rightful owner.
You forgot that they stole Curtis Martin shortly thereafter with a poison pill contract. The Jets will never win because they are a loser franchise that always takes the loser's way out. I can't believe Kraft continues to back Badell at this point. C'mon Bob, refuse to shake his hand like you did at the Super Bowl. I still think nothing will come of the tampering investigation, and Deflategate will conclude with some vague statement like, "something was fishy, but we can't prove where it came from." thus not letting the Pats completely off the hook like they should be. Sigh. The season can't get here fast enough.

Also, I heard Felger talk about this yesterday and he is still on the "Pats deflated the footballs" rant and Kraft is giving Goodell an out to save face. That is what I get when I turn on his show when Dale and Holley are on a break.

I picture Felger as one of those fetish freaks, and his catalyst comes from negativity around the patriots. probably goes into his little perv chamber at night and attaches electrodes to his balls and nipples, then puts media coverage of spygate and deflategate gate on repeat while he gets off.. maybe some recordings of Pats SB and playoff losses on some extra TV screens.. while Mazz tickles him all over with a feather dressed in full bondage leather, agreeing with everything he says while screaming "Mike!"

their radio broadcast is a clown show

You could really read his comments either way depending on whether you want to be optimistic or pessimistic, but I think they lean more towards him slightly supporting Roger, while simultaneously NOT supporting those under him.

I get what Bob is saying. The Jets are so bad that even with Roger's help he can't turn them into a Super Bowl team. That's the "hard job": trying to turn the Jets into a professional football team.

Kraft is one of the top owners is the history of the NFL, and is one of the most influential owners. Goodell would not be there is Kraft strongly objected to his presence. Kraft also operates one of the most successful franchises in the world of sports.

Goodell has been judged by the owners (and Kraft most publicly) as having done a good job for his employers (the owners).

Some fans on this message board are consistent in strongly objecting to any action by Goodell. They think that he should be incompetent and should be fired.
========================

QUESTION - Is Goodell doing a good job for the NFL and for the patriots?

Should I believe Kraft or message board posters?

If this past season meets your definition of "doing a good job for the NFL and the Patriots" then I guess there isn't much point in discussion.

If this past season meets your definition of "doing a good job for the NFL and the Patriots" then I guess there isn't much point in discussion.

You are correct. Kraft has made his determination as have other owners. They have looked at their bottom lines, and their long term projections of value and profit, and have been satisfied.

Collecting garbage, commercial fishing, firefighting, oil drilling....those are tough jobs.

When you make $40M a year, no one gives a rat's ass if the job is tough.

I got a call from one of my company's VP's at 8:30pm last night and he said, "see, while you've had your feet up for the last few hours, I've been working"

I responded with "$250k plus bonus"....and I heard crickets!

Good thing we get along well!

Last edited:
You are correct. Kraft has made his determination as have other owners. They have looked at their bottom lines, and their long term projections of value and profit, and have been satisfied.

The league is practically a laughing-stock at this point. They are taking short-term gains at the expense of the long-term health of the league (much like most US corporations...I guess he has that going for him: no worse than most idiot CEOs).

Kraft is one of the top owners is the history of the NFL, and is one of the most influential owners. Goodell would not be there is Kraft strongly objected to his presence. Kraft also operates one of the most successful franchises in the world of sports.

Goodell has been judged by the owners (and Kraft most publicly) as having done a good job for his employers (the owners).

Some fans on this message board are consistent in strongly objecting to any action by Goodell. They think that he should be incompetent and should be fired.
========================

As an adult, you should understand that Kraft is very careful about what he says publicly and how he says it. You make some truly bizarre assumptions.

The league is practically a laughing-stock at this point. They are taking short-term gains at the expense of the long-term health of the league (much like most US corporations...I guess he has that going for him: no worse than most idiot CEOs).

Please remind of this post when
1) the networks do not review the NFL contract at levels making the NFL profitable, or when
2) the majority of NFL teams are losing value and money.

I understand that you and others believe that the NFL is in long-term financial trouble. I strongly disagree with that assessment. In fact, I believe that the short-term and long-term financial health of teams in the NFL is probably better than the situation in any other professional sports league in the US.

BTW, I think that the ONLY major threat to the financial health of the NFL is the treatment of concussions of players. This situation will continue to be a mega-billion dollar threat.

The posters, in this case. And it's not just the posters that find the man a fool. Some of the sharpest & most objective media members to follow the NFL have been quite critical of him, from Bedard to Curran to Reiss.

The man is horrendously incompetent and if the game of football weren't so popular that it was impervious to his stupidity, he'd have run the NFL into the ground by now.

The posters, in this case. And it's not just the posters that find the man a fool. Some of the sharpest & most objective media members to follow the NFL have been quite critical of him, from Bedard to Curran to Reiss.

The man is horrendously incompetent and if the game of football weren't so popular that it was impervious to his stupidity, he'd have run the NFL into the ground by now.

I have read what posters here consider important. I think that the owners consider the contracts with the players and networks to be more important. Almost all other issues are of minor import to the financial success of the league. The one issue that I do indeed believe is important is the treatment of concussion cases, and the changes the NFL has made with regard to safety. While Goodell might have done more, I think that he has done OK in these regards.

I well understand that I disagree with almost all posters who have a very different view of what the owners should care about in the performance of the commissioner.

Some want to focus on squabbles between owners regarding violation of rules by other teams. The owners seem to be OK with regard to the commissioner's treatment of this issues. Even if they are not, how can this be more important than financial success.

Others focus on the role of the league in monitoring the private (sometimes criminal) activity of the players. They focus on the league's actions with regard to TEAM decisions with regard to these players. There is no winning for the league, the commissioner or the teams. Is the treatment of how MINN acts with regard to its players who might be guilty of a crime in Texas be more important than the NFL contracts with the players and the networks?

The commissioner takes the media heat for how the teams treat Peterson and Rice, and he should. That is part of his role. He takes the hits instead of the owners.

CONCLUSION

1) I think that the commissioner serves as the pleasure of the owners, and I further believe that he has served the owners well.

2) I think that the owners have more important things to consider than whether the commissioner is punishing other owners enough for their violations of NFL rules.

3) I think that the owners, in their meetings, are dealing with what THEY consider more important matters. They are discussing the future of the franchises in OAK, SD and St Louis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back